Iron Mountain Inc

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014

William Meaney

Pros
  • Good front line employees and work life balance is ok (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits, great people to work with, always something new happening (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 13 reviews)

• Concern for the customer as the Customer Service is poorly trained and HIGH turnover with CS (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

ugh

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved my coworkers, always there to help each other. Not all managers or supervisors I have heard great things about, but I was really lucky with my team. Flex time available to most is great.

Cons

Globalization is happening more and more, letting go of a lot of good people to do this. Even the people staying do not feel stable.

Management around me has handled the hard issues pretty well and been as nice about it as you can be, but it would be nice if upper management would consider keeping more jobs in the states.

Consultant

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commute and work-life balance

Cons

Outsourcing of jobs to India

Stop treating your employees like cattle

OK company to work for, but clearly has lost some of its luster

Current Employee - Billing Specialist  in  Royersford, PA
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Royersford, PA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

With a right attitude and a strong desire to want to do more, this organization will respond by providing excellent opportunities. I started in collections and worked my way to one of the company's top billing analysts, but only after I had applied myself by going back to school for my graduate degree and asking for more work to do. I was a trusted and valued employee there for a number of years as a result, and felt a part of a large "family", wanting to serve and support the customer base at a high level. The company culture has been better and has been communicated well by HR; it has definitely changed from when I first started with the company over 10 years ago.

Cons

The organization is undergoing a large transition by shipping most of its transactional data and work overseas as part of a cost cutting measure, although senior leadership will not communicate that to its current employees for fear of political reasons. There is not a great deal of immediate future opportunities for advancement, as there have been 3 job cuts in the last 5 years (2009-2013). The transactional data transition has not been as smooth as the senior leadership believes it has been (in fact, it's been quite rocky and very inconsistent), and the amount of customer anger is building. Issues where customers are receiving refund checks and past due statements from the organization at the same time are becoming common. In my job as a billing specialist, there were 7 different middle managers and/or VPs between myself and the CEO of the company. One VP stated in an all-employee quarterly meeting that Iron Mountain was "behind the times" when it came to job cutbacks; to me, this was a direct slap in the face to those workers that have been faithful to the organization and provided no peace to people's job security.

The organization needs to look at itself and cut out the levels of middle management (or eliminate some of the VPs) in order to improve its communication between the CEO and the employees. Transactional data processors must return back to the US, or the current overseas staff must get its collective act together before the customers' anger boils over. The company's VPs must attend a "charm school" in order to effectively communicate to its employees when job cutbacks are being announced. The company can return to its former "glory days", but only when upper management humble themselves for the mistakes they have made and hires back quality people in the US to handle its day to day work responsibilities.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed working with the people there

Former Employee - Document Imaging  in  Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Document Imaging in Livermore, CA

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

For those interested in career growth, Iron Mountain is a good place to work. Willingness to work learn and solve problem will get you far

Cons

didn't get hired on permanently

Watch your back. Work somewhere else where your work will be valued.

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Collegeville, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There were good benefits once upon a time, but that started changing as soon as the Board of Directors started looking at Iron Mountain as a Hedge Fund REIT Cash Cow instead of as a Records Management Company. Work Life Balance is a joke and you can expect to risk your life when the Mountain stays open on the most dangerous of snow days.

Cons

Customer Service employees, especially in the PCS Pooled Team, are sent into the 1st floor fishbowl and treated like indentured servants. Management makes you feel like they are doing you a favor by not laying you off. This is true in a way, because over 400 people have been laid off in the last 6 months. Upper Management does not care about their employees, customers, or quality of work. All Upper Management cares about now is the Real Estate that Iron Mountain is sitting on that can eventually be sold off.

Upper Management needs to remove the Hedge Fund mentality from Iron Mountain. Your current path will eventually bleed the company dry. It is foolish to think that customers are not noticing the layoffs and changes in service.

My advice: If you are currently working at Iron Mountain, watch your back and plan an exit strategy now. If you are thinking about working at Iron Mountain, work somewhere else where your work will be valued.

Offshore jobs then less than 30 days later post the same positions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Royersford, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royersford, PA

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good front line employees and work life balance is ok

Cons

Senior management that is out of touch with reality and lower level managers allowed to pursue their personal agendas. No room for advancement and lack of strategic plan has employees constantly worried about whether they will have a job tomorrow.

Stop being reactive. Losing a CFO and a long time executive like Harry E should tell you something.

Great Company Culture with good people and nice place to work

Former Employee - Account Manager/Sals  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Sals in Chicago, IL

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Iron Mountain is a global leader with an excellent reputation and client retention. Great working culture and team environment. Excellent training program and on going support.

Cons

Unrealistic sales quota's with significant increases each year. Compensation plans became more difficult to understand.

Ever changing

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers. Lots of opportunities (non-manager) to be a part of the changes that will make Iron Mountain the international company (Bill Meaney and BOD) is designing. Very modern approach to new technology.

Cons

Iron Mountain is professionally recognized for its fast past company restructure(s) and new technology(ies) rolled out. Rollouts have not allow time and resources for accuracy audit, corrective enhancements and knowledge dissemination. VP, Manager and field employees are without knowledge or support as they navigate these changes. And NO, a “How to” is not adequate support in the field.
    Iron Mountain (and investors) is still betting on its REIT conversion, regardless the US company continues to move its structure and resources internationally.

A lot of work, little pay, understaffed, all about the numbers, no recognition for working hard

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

Vacation time, flexible hours, managers seem to be paid decent

Cons

Poor management (in my department, other departments had great managers), recent Layoffs, workload

Pay employees better, train managers and supervisors how to manage with professionalism

Info Tech positions

Current Employee - IT Management
    Current Employee - IT Management

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time

Pros

decent pay, IF they keep the bonus structure

Cons

Zero communication, lots of 'gray' undefined areas. No governance or ownership

Get rid of the fossils who still run the group ... get some new blood

Worked for Iron Mountain Inc? Contribute to the Community!