Iron Mountain Inc

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014

William Meaney

Pros
  • Good front line employees and work life balance is ok (in 18 reviews)

• Global company with good benefits & on site subsidized cafeteria (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 14 reviews)

• Customer service has always been a problem despite attempts at improvement (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, good balance between work and family. Strong management.

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Iron Mountain solution is a need, not a want, getting in front of a customer is easy as digital storage is critical for any company.

Cons

It's all about the boxes. As Iron Mountain continues to develop a digital solution around protecting a customers information selling will be easier but boxes will always be an issue.

Great company

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility and no micromanagement. Training wasn't overwhelming.

Cons

Top heavy with regards to management

None.

A great place to work and gain experience.

Current Employee - Digital Imaging in Boyers, PA
    Current Employee - Digital Imaging in Boyers, PA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The managers and coworkers are wonderful to work with and it is a team atmosphere.
    Low stress.
    Managers understand if you need to schedule a day off, they are family oriented and understand if you have kids. They work with you if you want to make up the lost time.

Cons

The only con would be you usually are hired as a temp.

Good Money, clueless CEO

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Pay - they have to pay well, else talent wont come to them
    Great work-life - Most people have 9-5 schedules, or work remotely
    Nice office location
    Perks - coffee, Quarterly Pizza, beer etc.

Cons

CEO is disengaged. He has "broken" the company into small pieces, created fiefdoms and let those people rule. Problem is "those" people are not leaders, are not smart. The head of a major BU was a truck driver - and see where the revenue and earning of that group is going.
    CEO flies private, while we have to pinch every expense.
    They have a VERY HARD time recruiting executives. CEO search took 2 yrs. CMO - 4 and still counting. Head of a major BU - 1 yr. No accomplished exec wants to touch w a 10 ft pole.
    Huge salary disparities - I knew Sr. Managers making 75K as well as 155K base. --> Come on guys be fair.

Get a new CEO. Promote within.

Great People - But needs a strategic vision for future growth

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The People/Culture. Iron Mountain employees are bright, hard working, and cooperative. They want to do the best job possible regardless of which department you deal with. The people are by far the best thing about the company.

- Benefits and Pay - Fair. They are pretty fair and standard for a large enterprise organization.

- Layoffs - Company had two big layoffs in two years. However, the last layoff, they treated most people with dignity and respect. Gave a good severance, gave people a transition time before they had to leave, Communication was open and up front about the changes. I think the senior leadership team really treated and handled the people better the most companies I've heard about.

- Name Recognition - It's the most well known name in the document storage business. It also has a global presence and no competitors that have anywhere near the same national footprint.

Cons

- Lack of strategic vision for the future. Sales people are still asked to focus on selling paper document storage - something that is quickly becoming obsolete. Commissions on other services like scanning are quite low and pricing is not competitive. Company has focused too much on short term gain of selling paper storage revenue, but how long is that going to last?

- Converted to a REIT to save on taxes - but unclear how becoming a real estate investment trust for tax breaks shows the company is looking towards to future growth and innovation in the US market.

Iron Mountain was once a giant in it's industry. #1 in it's field and a world class brand that was incredibly profitable and successful... BUT so was Blockbuster, Kodak, Borders, BlackBerry, Dell, Motorola, Sony, Sears.... and the list goes on. You need to pivot the ship - innovate new services and products. Stop doubling down on paper storage and invest in a real long term on strategy for growth.

ugh

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my coworkers, always there to help each other. Not all managers or supervisors I have heard great things about, but I was really lucky with my team. Flex time available to most is great.

Cons

Globalization is happening more and more, letting go of a lot of good people to do this. Even the people staying do not feel stable.

Management around me has handled the hard issues pretty well and been as nice about it as you can be, but it would be nice if upper management would consider keeping more jobs in the states.

Consultant

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Commute and work-life balance

Cons

Outsourcing of jobs to India

Stop treating your employees like cattle

OK company to work for, but clearly has lost some of its luster

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Royersford, PA
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Royersford, PA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

With a right attitude and a strong desire to want to do more, this organization will respond by providing excellent opportunities. I started in collections and worked my way to one of the company's top billing analysts, but only after I had applied myself by going back to school for my graduate degree and asking for more work to do. I was a trusted and valued employee there for a number of years as a result, and felt a part of a large "family", wanting to serve and support the customer base at a high level. The company culture has been better and has been communicated well by HR; it has definitely changed from when I first started with the company over 10 years ago.

Cons

The organization is undergoing a large transition by shipping most of its transactional data and work overseas as part of a cost cutting measure, although senior leadership will not communicate that to its current employees for fear of political reasons. There is not a great deal of immediate future opportunities for advancement, as there have been 3 job cuts in the last 5 years (2009-2013). The transactional data transition has not been as smooth as the senior leadership believes it has been (in fact, it's been quite rocky and very inconsistent), and the amount of customer anger is building. Issues where customers are receiving refund checks and past due statements from the organization at the same time are becoming common. In my job as a billing specialist, there were 7 different middle managers and/or VPs between myself and the CEO of the company. One VP stated in an all-employee quarterly meeting that Iron Mountain was "behind the times" when it came to job cutbacks; to me, this was a direct slap in the face to those workers that have been faithful to the organization and provided no peace to people's job security.

The organization needs to look at itself and cut out the levels of middle management (or eliminate some of the VPs) in order to improve its communication between the CEO and the employees. Transactional data processors must return back to the US, or the current overseas staff must get its collective act together before the customers' anger boils over. The company's VPs must attend a "charm school" in order to effectively communicate to its employees when job cutbacks are being announced. The company can return to its former "glory days", but only when upper management humble themselves for the mistakes they have made and hires back quality people in the US to handle its day to day work responsibilities.

I had a great time with the company, until my job was outsourced...it felt like a family there

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Royersford, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Royersford, PA

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Creating budgets, working with outside consultants, great people to work with

Cons

The only thing I might have an issue with is top management has a hard time being transparent in regards to upcoming lay-offs...

Open up and be honest with employees, especially in regards to lay-offs. You demand honesty and integrity so in order to get this out of your employees you need to take the lead...

Enjoyed working with the people there

Former Employee - Document Imaging in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Document Imaging in Livermore, CA

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For those interested in career growth, Iron Mountain is a good place to work. Willingness to work learn and solve problem will get you far

Cons

didn't get hired on permanently