IronPort Systems Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
John T. Chambers

If you are good this is the place for you

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at IronPort Systems

Pros

diverse culture where people from all around the world come to work together. If you like to get things done then this is the place for you, some areas like support or QA are probably under appreciated and have weaker managers but most people are pretty nice and willing to help others learn.

Cons

You are expected to pick understand things quickly and learn on the job, if you can not perform within a quarter you will be replaced, although now that we are part of Cisco that might change. Cisco has also brought more red tape to the company.

Advice to Management

Stop importing Cisco red tape that is not helping us.

2. overall good

Current Employee - Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at IronPort Systems

Pros

good environment, pay is fair

Cons

too many layers, takes time to get through approval or decision making

3. Decent company

I have been working at IronPort Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, I enjoyed my time here and would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a relatively stable but engaging workplace.

Cons

Nothing too serious, I guess I would just try to have a little more transparency in the company to make workers feel comfortable.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. Not good

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Miami, WV
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Miami, WV

I worked at IronPort Systems part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not good environment for employees.

Cons

Politics , no salary hike . Just boring.

Advice to Management

Be reasonable

6. Great culture.

Current Employee - IT in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - IT in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at IronPort Systems

Pros

There is a great working culture and belief in what we are doing is making a difference. People are generally pretty sharp but there are some folks in middle management that are very disappointing.

Cons

Some areas are still way understaffed.

Advice to Management

They really need to re-evaluate some of the middle managers.

7. Hard hat area!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at IronPort Systems

Pros

IronPort retains a ridiculous number of of bright people, providing a largely idiot-free workplace populated with people who aren't interested in stepping on others' fingers as they climb the corporate ladder. It is, by far, the most collegial atmosphere I've ever worked in.

Cons

Engineering seems to reorganize randomly; it's better than it was only about half the time. Reorg decisions are made at the highest levels, and apparently don't take lower-level managers opinions into consideration. Additionally, the CEO has become more and more absorbed by Cisco; it's apparent he's losing touch with his roots. I suspect he's getting pressure to integrate more, but bringing the best Cisco management into IronPort is lowering the average IQ of both companies.

Advice to Management

You've hired some of the brightest people in the Bay Area; let folks do their jobs and stop shuffling their cubes around to suit this weeks' concept of order. Cisco would do well to leave IronPort on its own. It's still nimble, and doesn't need the extra baggage.

8. ironport is a good innovative company, but we'll see what happens when cisco really gobbles us

Current Employee - SE in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - SE in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at IronPort Systems

Pros

Very smart people to work w/, good company culture

Cons

seems to promote people of Caucasian decent, and if you aren't white, you are left behind

Advice to Management

be clearer about future w/ cisco

Now just another Cisco Bussiness Unit

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at IronPort Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With ironport you have a great deal to look back to. A brilliant history. That was the reason i joined this bussiness unit out of my grad school.

Cons

Past is past, now this segment functions like just another cisco BU. I joined this unit in 2011 out of my grad school because i wanted to be a part of it (though it had been gobbled up by cisco till then) and frankly i have been disappointed. There is not enough work for people like us and no features are rolling out. The entire development cycle has become so process oriented that you loose interest in the way things progress. Also, instead of focusing on work, people are more interested in office politics Any one gets in these days and there are not enough talented people around. Frankly speaking sometimes i feel disheartened when i see people taking so many tea breaks and just chatting there time at work. But the biggest problem is meetings...!!! Seems like that is all what is done here. There are atleast 2-3 hours of meetings every alternate day and people discuss all crappy stuff there. I myself do not even see the point in most of these meetings but then if you frankly tell this to the management you end up in soup. It pains me to think that CISCO such a giant in networking has come to this and has brought all the acquisition`s which function inside it to the same rut. I have decided to quit this BU and move to a start up where i can atleast do some meaningful work.

Advice to Management

Immediate manager`s should pay attention to their staff and not fall prey to the office politics. There should be lesser meetings and more emphasis on getting work done...!!

10. IronPort Systems has been a fantastic place to work with great people and great talent!

I have been working at IronPort Systems

Pros

The best talent in the industry and good work/life balance.

Cons

Increasing bureaucratic processes post Cisco acquisition.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on what made us successful in the first place!

11. Great place to work, excellent people and a great ride!

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at IronPort Systems

Pros

We had a real dynamic, innovative and experienced team. Full of sales professionals that showed respect and allowed each other to grow within teams. The technical team were highly competant and would work all hours to try and win deals

Cons

Only downside is small but impacted heavily. Certain individuals caused a great team to break up.

Advice to Management

If you have great talent, DON'T let them go!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed