Irvine Company

Be The First To
Add Photos

Irvine Company Chairman Donald L. Bren

Donald L. Bren

Great Benefits and great staff.

Guest Services (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsPleasant Work Environment and good staff.

ConsPromotions are hard to earn.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions

Stable but not very good on advancement

ProsStable and Good people. New Technology is slowly coming in.

ConsToo many Lifers. Some people stay at the same position for YEARS(Decades) and never move up by their own decision or management's. Definitely some "Dead Weight" on the payroll.

Beautiful Properties, Great Locations, Unprofessional Upper Management

General Manager (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsAmazing Product, Beautiful Assets, Great Budgets, Competitive salaries. Very good life/work balance. Lots of upcoming growth with numerous lease ups. Specializes in A Product. Does not starve their assets.

ConsThe Regional staff is very unprofessional, similar to the "Mean Girls". Micro Management, does not allow career growth. As a Manager you are told how and when on everything. Very little opportunity to manage your asset.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new Upper Management seems to be making GREAT changes. I am excited to see how much IAC improves under the leadership of the Archstone Influence. I do not agree that a Master's degree outweighs experience, that is the one area I think will keep IAC from being the Best WELL ROUNDED company. While the current workforce was in college , some of us were working our way up from entry level positions and transformed into top industry performers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"I think what you think."

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsGood pay. Opportunity to grow. If you keep your head down and don't offer input or opinions, you can move up. The environment is conservative and professional.

ConsA few years ago the culture within the Company was positive and thriving. We were working together, the company was growing and upper management seemingly cared about employees. A cultural change occurred when a power shift happened within the company. Many of the most competent high level execs were fired as a less respected employee quickly ascended and gained power. Dialogue and alternate opinions were no longer tolerated. Employees quickly learned to take direction and follow. Team spirit all but disappeared as fear dominated. Virtually all the bright, thinking, competent top executives were fired. The company presently has a dictatorial feel. Decisions are made from the top, with minimal input from the people who are experts in the various departments. The result is incompetence all around. It feels as if the soul of the company is gone and the company is now in a mode where it responds rather than making thoughtful and planned decisions. It's very disheartening to be a part of this once great company and watch it flounder under heavy handed tactics. The last of the true cultural leaders of the Irvine Company have now been fired and many of us are very concerned about what the future holds for the company and Orange County. Many wonder if Don Bren fully understands the gamesmanship and manipulations that are going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture of the Company has changed drastically. Many are no longer proud to work here. The last of our caring & creative leaders are being shown the door. Bring back knowledgeable professionals and listen to them. Work to remove the fear based tactics. We want to be proud to work here but it's becoming very difficult.

Corporate Zombies. Do yourself a favor - DO NOT APPLY HERE!

Corporate (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsExperience builder and resume fodder.

ConsI overheard something said by a VP of this company that I truly believe resonates with how this company handles their work, staffing and direction.

"I'd rather have a less experienced worker who knows how to take orders than a smarter, more experienced worker who carries their own opinions and believes they know how to do things. We don't need people like that in this company, that's why we don't need (insert name)."

It's funny because it's completely true. This is the type of company where you put your head down and listen to orders. They do not approve of any kind of creative or innovative thought unless the higher-ups can take credit for it first. Do yourself a favor: do not apply to this company or any of its branches.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf that's the kind of attitude you have, maybe you're the problem with this company. Advice? Go be negative somewhere else and allow an influx of creative individuals who can really carry this company. 150 years of business doesn't mean anything when your workforce is apathetic from top to bottom.

Make it through probation, Don't make waves you'll fit right in.

Senior Manager Enterprise BI, DW and Planning Systems (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsBenefits, Location, Corporate somewhat cares

ConsStress, Constant yelling, Cheap, Garbage internal Leadership(Corporate is OK in my book).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off you're high horse and fill the role of your staff just for one day. After that, you can yell all you want if its not done properly, it's sad to see managers in charge of people yet having no idea what their own employees do.

Assistant

ProsGreat Place to Work, Great Compensation, Great Opportunities

ConsThere isn't much cons at this time. This is a great company to work for.

The company grinds its people down and then spits you out.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsIt feels like a cult, where everyone is brainwashed to believe the company is untouchable.

ConsManagement style capitalizes on fear and intimidation, using words like "such an embarrassment", "dying on the sword" and "punishment" in daily vocabulary.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne day you lay off all of Accounting, the next day you lay off another department. One year you centralize positions at corporate, the next year you decentralize the positions back to the divisions. Quit laying off people and calling it "reorganization".

It was a good experience

Project Manager (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsSome great people work here

ConsCan be a very political organization

This Company is a joke!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat commisions......sometimes.. This company is a joke!! Upper management is a joke!!!
    This place is only good for getting on your resume!!! To grow in any position is based on politics and not on performance

ConsAlways changing pay commision structure, huge turn around,

Worked for Irvine Company? Contribute to the Community!