Irvine Company

Work With A Best In Class Team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- I love my team. We work well together and have fun while doing it.

- I like that Irvine Company isn't afraid to make decisions and move forward with new initiatives quickly. Too many companies get caught up in the decision making process and nothing gets done. At Irvine Company decisions are made and executed quickly.

- The company culture is very professional and corporate which I like. Being a best in class company attracts people who are at the top of their game and so that means that I get to work with and learn from the best of the best.

- Being a privately held company, Irvine Company is able to make decisions that are best for the company without having to worry about shareholders or quarterly shareholder meetings. This allows for Irvine Company to do what they need to do to be a best in class company.

- I feel like I have the resources and tools I need to do my job. If I need something to help me in my role and I bring it to the attention of my management, they listen and usually make it happen.

- We have a nice blend of working really hard and having fun as well.

- The company has utilized a company wide survey to gather feedback from employees and then creates committees or task forces to dive deeper into common topics of concern and make changes for the better. Most companies wouldn't take on such a large task.

Cons

- There is little communication from the top leadership to line employees. Messages are shared with executive leadership and expected to travel down the ranks to the day to day employees, but messages are often lost in translation and never get communicated, or are communicated incorrectly.

- Being a privately held company Irvine Company doesn't share a lot of information about the company or specifics, even to it's own employees which would help us do our job better.

-Sometimes the company moves so quickly that they make choices and decisions that haven't been fully vetted out or researched.

-When there are large projects like an acquisition or reopening of a restaurant, the internal teams who are involved do not communicate and there isn't a defined or appointed project manager, which would help a lot!! HIRE A Project Manager for your large projects!! There needs to be one person leading the project, not a bunch of department heads who are equally involved and invested. There needs to be someone leading the project.

-Communicate with your employees. It would be great to hear from the top directly and not feel like they are unapproachable in the ivory tower on the infamous 9th floor.

-Have a project manager for large project to help with communication and oversight of a project.

-Many people think that working at Irvine Company has great perks, why wouldn't we? We own everything around. Offer discounts to your employees at your properties (Resorts and ICAC). Offering rent discounts will encourage loyalty to the company and reduce turnover. Offering F&B discounts at the resorts will make your employees feel a part of the larger picture and not just their division, plus it will drive traffic to your properties!!!

Great Company, Excellent Team!

Current Employee - Corporate Management  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Management in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent company to work for! Focused on collaboration and innovation at all levels. Endless opportunity to grow on both a career and skill set level. I am inspired every day working with a team of people that strive for excellence, and challenge each other to think outside the box. Great work life balance!

Cons

Suit and Tie...Enough said.. But if that's the worst thing I can say about the Irvine Company I'll suit up

Communication & Transparency could be improved

elitest attitudes and immature sorority ethics

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Irvine Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

resume filler, cheap beverage machine

Cons

Unfair and malicious management styles. CS Manager is more concerned about her false eyelashes than to help customers or vendors. Sales manager was very keen of this and took up the slack for the more unexperienced, rude customer service manager. Important issues go overlooked like fellow associates with temper problems, just to avoid department heat (furnished apartment division) therefore causing a terrible work environment. Unsupervised weekend shifts where you're left in a building with maybe 2 others.

The was an internship but you receive no college credit, I don't know how that actually works. Probably to justify the low pay, and I mean low. The basically hire you from a temp agency, and call you an intern.

hire qualified management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Benefits and great staff.

Current Employee - Guest Services  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pleasant Work Environment and good staff.

Cons

Promotions are hard to earn.

Promotions

Beautiful Properties, Great Locations, Unprofessional Upper Management

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Irvine Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing Product, Beautiful Assets, Great Budgets, Competitive salaries. Very good life/work balance. Lots of upcoming growth with numerous lease ups. Specializes in A Product. Does not starve their assets.

Cons

The Regional staff is very unprofessional, similar to the "Mean Girls". Micro Management, does not allow career growth. As a Manager you are told how and when on everything. Very little opportunity to manage your asset.

The new Upper Management seems to be making GREAT changes. I am excited to see how much IAC improves under the leadership of the Archstone Influence. I do not agree that a Master's degree outweighs experience, that is the one area I think will keep IAC from being the Best WELL ROUNDED company. While the current workforce was in college , some of us were working our way up from entry level positions and transformed into top industry performers.

"I think what you think."

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay. Opportunity to grow. If you keep your head down and don't offer input or opinions, you can move up. The environment is conservative and professional.

Cons

A few years ago the culture within the Company was positive and thriving. We were working together, the company was growing and upper management seemingly cared about employees. A cultural change occurred when a power shift happened within the company. Many of the most competent high level execs were fired as a less respected employee quickly ascended and gained power. Dialogue and alternate opinions were no longer tolerated. Employees quickly learned to take direction and follow. Team spirit all but disappeared as fear dominated. Virtually all the bright, thinking, competent top executives were fired. The company presently has a dictatorial feel. Decisions are made from the top, with minimal input from the people who are experts in the various departments. The result is incompetence all around. It feels as if the soul of the company is gone and the company is now in a mode where it responds rather than making thoughtful and planned decisions. It's very disheartening to be a part of this once great company and watch it flounder under heavy handed tactics. The last of the true cultural leaders of the Irvine Company have now been fired and many of us are very concerned about what the future holds for the company and Orange County. Many wonder if Don Bren fully understands the gamesmanship and manipulations that are going on.

The culture of the Company has changed drastically. Many are no longer proud to work here. The last of our caring & creative leaders are being shown the door. Bring back knowledgeable professionals and listen to them. Work to remove the fear based tactics. We want to be proud to work here but it's becoming very difficult.

Stable but not very good on advancement

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable and Good people. New Technology is slowly coming in.

Cons

Too many Lifers. Some people stay at the same position for YEARS(Decades) and never move up by their own decision or management's. Definitely some "Dead Weight" on the payroll.

Corporate Zombies. Do yourself a favor - DO NOT APPLY HERE!

Current Employee - Corporate  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience builder and resume fodder.

Cons

I overheard something said by a VP of this company that I truly believe resonates with how this company handles their work, staffing and direction.

"I'd rather have a less experienced worker who knows how to take orders than a smarter, more experienced worker who carries their own opinions and believes they know how to do things. We don't need people like that in this company, that's why we don't need (insert name)."

It's funny because it's completely true. This is the type of company where you put your head down and listen to orders. They do not approve of any kind of creative or innovative thought unless the higher-ups can take credit for it first. Do yourself a favor: do not apply to this company or any of its branches.

If that's the kind of attitude you have, maybe you're the problem with this company. Advice? Go be negative somewhere else and allow an influx of creative individuals who can really carry this company. 150 years of business doesn't mean anything when your workforce is apathetic from top to bottom.

Assistant

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time

Pros

Great Place to Work, Great Compensation, Great Opportunities

Cons

There isn't much cons at this time. This is a great company to work for.

The company grinds its people down and then spits you out.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Irvine Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

It feels like a cult, where everyone is brainwashed to believe the company is untouchable.

Cons

Management style capitalizes on fear and intimidation, using words like "such an embarrassment", "dying on the sword" and "punishment" in daily vocabulary.

One day you lay off all of Accounting, the next day you lay off another department. One year you centralize positions at corporate, the next year you decentralize the positions back to the divisions. Quit laying off people and calling it "reorganization".

Worked for Irvine Company? Contribute to the Community!