Irvine Company

Updated January 28, 2015
3.3

Irvine Company Chairman Donald L. Bren
Donald L. Bren

Pros
  • Great pay/benefits and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits, good pay, and good work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In this day and age, suit and tie is mandatory attire for people who work the at Irvine Company (in 4 reviews)

• The culture is traditional so it is still required to wear a suit (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Irvine Company can be tough to work for but still better than most

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Irvine Company

Pros

This company definitely has its positives. Better bonuses and commission structures than other jobs in the industry, a pretty dynamic work environment with lots of young people, and a fast pace that makes the time go by fast. If you want to lease apartments and you're good at it, Irvine Company is a good job and a way to make decent money.

Cons

The problem with the company is that over the last year they've been in almost a continual state of restructuring, and our job role as leasing professionals changes monthly, if not weekly. The implementation of segmented, separated "verticals" of leasing, management and maintenance has created communicative voids and divisions between even people who work together at the same property, and new policies and procedures have been rolled out company-wide before being fully developed and have created great stress for those of us on the ground trying to meet our numbers. Micromanagement has reached an all-encompassing, almost oppressive level as the company wants to track every thing we do every moment we are at work. I have been told that this will pass as profits rise and we enter our busy season, and I sincerely hope this is the case.

Please stop micromanaging your leasing staff so thoroughly, we are fully motivated by our need to make a living to sell these apartments with everything we've got!

Top Heavy Company

Current Employee - Director in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Only Exceptional People get hired to produce at the highest level. Great name recognition on your resume. Connect with the best people and consultants in the industry.

Cons

No career path. Everyone is expendable at a moments notice. Upper management likes to shake things up. Maybe it's their way to keep us productive.

Treat others as how you would liked to be treated. Time sensitive projects are the norm. Staffers are always reactive.

An okay place to work in IT

I worked at Irvine Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The IT group is busy - no shortage of projects.

Cons

Lack of long-term vision / strategy.

Be real - people see through all the "fluff"

Great experience and still using the skills I learned

Current Employee - Operations/Facilities in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Operations/Facilities in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best of the best. Good salary and benefits. Very professional and dedicated staff at every level and strong corporate culture that truly "gets it"

Cons

You are "always" representing the company and its standards/principals. There is no downtime, but this is clearly understood from day one of hire

Keep on doing what you are doing

Great experience.

Former Employee - Research in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Research in Irvine, CA

I worked at Irvine Company as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Focus on education and proficiency in the workplace
    Benefits
    Work life balance

Cons

If you are not comfortable with formal business attire, Irvine Company is not for you.

Do yourself a favor, work for a real company- not this one.

Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company

Pros

I have been promoted 4 times in 4 years.

Cons

Although I have been promoted 4 times in 4 years, that is the best thing I can say about this company. I have had 10 supervisors in 4 years. Only one of them had a clue, and unfortunately that occurred in my first year. Since then I have continued to be promoted and noticed the higher you go the worse it gets. This company is the definition of mismanaged from the top down (and I mean just shy of Mr. Bren). They could not find their way out of a paper bag. In 4 years they have yet to implement a system of change successfully. And if they think they have (and I know you think you have- CRC), it is because they do not understand the very basics of metrics. The level of business acumen in this company is completely laughable. You grow dumber by the day, and if you attend many meetings, you will grow dumber by the second. The meetings are forums for top level management and executive management to hear themselves speak and say things that lack any business logic at all. And then 3 other "self thinkers" will reiterate the same thing, as if it wasn't just said, so they have valid input in each meeting. Once this has occurred, the ball is rolling on the "brilliant" idea. That is how this company operates. Your meeting will proceed in this manner for at least an hour, and then some "VP" (who has not and is not capable of true thought, and has sat quiet for the entire meeting) will finally pipe up with some insightful words like "We should have a thoughtful roll out"... Did everybody write that down?! - This is truly the level at which you will be operating.
     If you are driven, smart, have a bit of common sense, and a touch of business acumen- this company is not for you. The good people always leave. They always use carrots of better pay, better title, lots of great change, different reporting structure, etc. but they are not capable of following through with these empty promises. This company will not develop you or your career, you will not be working with top notch people, you will be surrounded by a hall of mirrors that reflects stupidity, ignorance and you will be left questioning your sanity. This company is truly shocking and most of the executive team is absolutely terrible. The good ones will all be gone soon, and then it will really go down hill for employees. Morale has been down for years, and good people keep leaving. They have hired some really great people, but it hasn't taken long for the good new hires to jump ship. And of course the bad ones stay and thrive.

Great company gone wrong

Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Irvine Company has been around for over 150 years. If you are looking for stability in a company Irvine Company is a good choice. Their salaries are competitive within the property management industry.

Cons

If you are a manager on salary, you definitely will not be paid enough for this position.

In the past year the company has made a lot of changes, to include: hiring General Managers with zero knowledge of the industry and lack of commitment, consolidating offices and cutting down the staff for each office which in return affects the customer service that used to be unparalleled.

The company no longer wants associates who are genuinely caring and can take the time to treat residents like they actually matter. They seem to only care about the bottom line and for their associates to utilize all their time, when not in meetings and processing reports, in finding ways to generate more revenue.

The greatest thing that used to set us apart from other property management companies such as: offering superior customer service, Ensuring that our residents "Love Where You Live", encouraging an associate to feel empowered to make decisions, and standing for each others greatest potential has all gone out the door.

Although there are still a few outstanding Senior Directors who do lead by example and will take the time to seriously take into consideration constructive feedback, the majority are simply just there to make a paycheck with no desire to support their subordinates future growth with the company.

Take the time to meet with your leaders and to truly listen to their feedback.

When announcing changes, you should clearly be able to define what the changes will be, the estimated time line the changes will take place and refrain from withholding information to the last minute as this creates a lack of trust towards upper management.

If you know you have an associate that is not productive, refrain from transferring a problem.

Since it is obvious the Empowerment is no longer the company's culture, that should be clearly defined to your management team.

Too many changes at once. No loyalty to their employees. Regional managers have no idea what they are doing.

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company

Pros

Luxury communities. Products sells itself.

Cons

horrible upper management. Half of the employee benefits were taken away.

This company seeks the best candidates in property management, why are you pushing them away? Why has the corporate greed taken over

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They really put their employees first and you feel like you matter, which makes you want to do your best for them.

Cons

Working with 4 different partners was a little challenging at first.

Best people in the industry!

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Talented group of highly skilled people who are driven to succeed. Great company culture that is built around attracting and retaining the best people. Towers Watson employee engagement survey puts the company in the top 1% of high performing companies. Company is growing rapidly which provides opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

very high expectations for quality work to be delivered on tight schedules

Company can look for more opportunities for employees to advance by moving to other divisions, ie, Irvine Apartment Communities, Retail Properties and Resorts.