Irving Independent School District

Updated December 14, 2014
3.5

Irving Independent School District Superintendent Dr. Dana T. Bedden
Dr. Dana T. Bedden

Great district. Competitive Pay. Support from administration.

I have been working at Irving Independent School District

Pros

Organized. Professional development opportunities. Raises. Comfortable work environment. Student activities.

Cons

None. Can be demanding like any school district, but they provide great support and flexibility for its staff.

Keep up the good work.

MacArthur High School

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Irving Independent School District part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great P.D. opportunities, they will even pay you to do extra training. The administration, some of them anyway, are really supportive and try to help you learn classroom management efficiently and quickly so your classroom doesn't become a Zoo. Majority of the teachers are great people who are always willing to lend you an ear and give you tips. They encourage technology usage and provide you with the tools to access it and learn to use adequately. Parental support is strongly present when it comes to dealing with discipline issues.

Cons

The curriculum for foreign language could be more enriching for the kids. If feels like it holds their learning back by making un-challenging.

Good working conditions

I have been working at Irving Independent School District

Pros

Benefits and work environment good people

Cons

None so far that I know of

Be more open to employee concerns

Internship turned temporary career.

Former Intern - Equipment Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Intern - Equipment Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Irving Independent School District as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A good place to fill educational requirements, such as mandatory internships. Most of the facilities are up to code and well kept.

Cons

Little to no pay or compensation for your time other than the school credit. Half the time you don't even receive credit for your provided services, and they often time refuse to help with pursing other career avenues. Your best bet is to find one specific person you worked with for a reference rather than counting on the school district. Not much is done to assume student success, especially those that aren't interns.

It was a good learning experience

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Irving, TX

I worked at Irving Independent School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff at our school really tried to work together. The administration at my school worked hard to make sure the teachers were given any help they needed.

Cons

Many hands are tied when it comes to doing what is best for kids. The district seemed data focused and not student focused. The more data we gathered, the less time we had to actually teach.

The root of the problem is with the education plan at the state government level.

A difficult experience, very little support from upper level administration.

Former Employee - Staff in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Staff in Irving, TX

I worked at Irving Independent School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The support staff I worked with at my campus was wonderful.

Cons

Very little support from the administration building.

Take care of the people that make it possible for you to have the position you have.

I taught all levels of special education students their major course work.

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Columbus, OH

I worked at Irving Independent School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love to make subjects understandable and exciting for students who struggle with understanding concepts.

Cons

There was no available curriculum to use for my students which i then had to go to the teacher store and select it for myself.

The school district has many good employees but over-emphasizes technology and has a fingers in every pie school board.

Current Contractor - Teacher in Irving, TX
    Current Contractor - Teacher in Irving, TX

I have been working at Irving Independent School District as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like working with technology, you will love Irving ISD. Lots of good teachers and staff workers. Buildings are mostly clean and well kept. Starting pay is higher than many other districts.

Cons

The school board forced out the last superintendent and his assistant superintendent and got rid of the curriculum program. Now they are starting over in both areas. The board also cut salaries for veteran teachers while increasing them for newer teachers.

Consider the effect of constantly asking more from your staff in terms of record keeping and non-teaching duties. If you are going to ask employees to sign a blank contract, be upfront with them about their compensation.

Irving ISD was very supportive of my paternity leave, and any other time needed for care taking.

Current Employee - Bilingual Teacher in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Bilingual Teacher in Irving, TX

I have been working at Irving Independent School District

Pros

Speaking as a teacher, benefits are comparable to other districts in the region. Starting pay for a teacher is the highest in the region, $3k higher than DISD, GCISD, and FWISD.

Cons

Lots of required district training every year. Health insurance for a family seems expensive, $550 a month for the HD plan.

I would say that the GT coordination needs to improve, along with assistance for employees acquiring the appropriate credentials. The district coordinates poorly with surrounding Regions in accepting training credits.

Overall, it is a good place to work if you have a family.

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Irving, TX

I have been working at Irving Independent School District

Pros

holidays and vacations are the best.

Cons

not enough praise, you are treated lower as a para.

Pay closer attention to all employee;s, not just teachers.
    Say hello every once and a while to those around you.

Irving Independent School District Photos