Irving Oil Corporation Reviews

Kenneth Irving

1. great company full of smart and hard working people

Former Intern - MBA Intern in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Intern - MBA Intern in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Irving Oil Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked here as a summer MBA intern several years ago. I came from a wall street background and wanted to try something new. I had low expectations (being from New York) but I was really impressed by all the smart and hard working people that were at this company. I just didn't expect this from a company based in NH (Portland office). It was a valuable experience for me. I realized the smartest and hardest people don't necessarily work on wall street, just the most rude and money grubbing people do. I really enjoyed this job and the people there. It was a great experience.

Cons

Unless you live in Portsmouth, the commute can be long. The office is small -- my guess is 100 people? My impression was that there was not much room for advancement there.

You have some great people there. Don't take them for granted. They are lucky to have a job in NH, but you are lucky they are even there working for you.

2. No direction, constant change and poor leadership

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Irving Oil Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Significant investment in personal and professional development at the time. If you are a self starter you can learn a lot about the energy business but don't expect much if any guidance from senior management they are all to busy in meetings or trying to hide under the radar.

Cons

Company was in constant disarray and would managed in a completely reactive manner. It always seemed that they were behind the curve and would spend huge dollars on projects that weren't thought out well and often didn't meet expectations. They always talked about employee safety and had numerous procedures that they never managed to our held employees accountable too.

Change is good, but management needs to provide leadership when change happens which they didn't. Cut back on the flavor of the week programs and get back to basics to many one off programs with limited follow through.

3. Forget about career growth!

Current Employee - Terminal Operator in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Terminal Operator in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Irving Oil Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Your a golden child if you are from Canada "A".
    You become proficient in Chinese fire drills.
    No drug test
    Beaver Pins

Cons

No work-life balance
    Zero employee appreciation
    Compensation is way below industry average
    Conference calls to set up conference calls....
    Everyone is so busy accomplishing nothing that the business never improves
    No matter what the Performance Management policy says...it's 3% across the board at increase time.
    No accountability

PUNT! But first, please continue what you are doing so our competition can continue to benefit from hiring our best performers and bury us while we are waiting for a conference call to start, or please continue your ridiculous approach to corporate communications... please continue to let your employees struggle to listen to your monthly leadership updates because your technology would be better suited in Fred Flintstones house, or why don't you continue retracting all of the U.S positions back to Canada and run your Canadian employees ragged - they certainly wont mind as that is YOUR culture and core values!

5. demeaning, cliché, no promotions, no backup

Former Employee - Manager in Rochester, NH
    Former Employee - Manager in Rochester, NH

I worked at Irving Oil Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have found no pros with this company

Cons

upper management does not value your imput, it's their way or the highway. policies that they wrote means nothing.

find another job, quick!

6. Awesome Company

Current Employee - Management in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Management in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Irving Oil Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Room for growth and opportunity

Cons

Lots of work and long hours

keep it up

7. sad wake up

Current Employee - Teck V in West Lebanon, NH
    Current Employee - Teck V in West Lebanon, NH

I have been working at Irving Oil Corporation

Pros

it is a stable company, in this area your trade is needed. job sicurity, the company is big enough that it should remain a viable company they are the leader in this area by aquzition

Cons

management keeps changing they cant seem to get good focused people, the managers just have meetings and dont manage their people

never mine the new shirts and ties go for someone who has the passion for the profesion like the founder did , it is not just about the bottom line. that maters but if you dont pay atention to the customer you wont have a bottom line they need to have a conection to the employe like the founder did the middle management below the irvings dont have a clue how disconected and ambivilent the are and treet the employes.

8. Great place to work

Former Employee - Accountant in Saint John, NB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Saint John, NB (Canada)

I worked at Irving Oil Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Professional people and working environment.

Cons

Offices are located mainly in atlantic canada.