Irving Oil Limited Reviews

Mike Ashar

1. Hung out to dry after long service to company

Former Employee - Senior Supply Chain Analyst in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Supply Chain Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Irving Oil Limited (more than 5 years)

Pros

Personal Growth and lots of industry growth

Cons

Limited Salary increases, poor management running company

Advice to Management

Change HR Policies

2. "Stepping stone for better opportunities"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Rutland, VT
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Rutland, VT

I have been working at Irving Oil Limited full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

" Will widen your knowledge on the Energy business".

Cons

" Process Driven company, will not let you utilize your talents for better results"

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line people they have the pulse of the business.

Working at Irving is OK is you like constant strategy change and organizational restructuring

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Irving Oil Limited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Irving is a family-oriented company that values hard work but also focuses on work/life balance and personal health and well-being.

Cons

Irving is constantly in flux regarding long-term strategy resulting in organizational restructuring leading to positions being eliminated. Irving is, however, considerate to employees losing their jobs by providing severence and job placement resources.

Advice to Management

Please nail down a long-term strategy and stick to it!

Results oriented energy refining and distribution organization.

Former Employee - Transport Operator in Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Transport Operator in Concord, NH

I worked at Irving Oil Limited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Irving Oil had offered a steady and predictive work schedule as well as a very competitive pay and benefits package. Access to management was good with very positive results. Maintenance and reliability were kept in high regard.

Cons

Irving had slow advancement possibilities and little in career developmental training, nor any tuition programs for external courses and studies at that time.

Nothing more than a stepping stone.

Current Employee - Finance in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Finance in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Irving Oil Limited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance. Although, this doesn’t seem to be true for everyone.

Benefits seem to be better than what my friends and family have.

Canadians are nice people.

Cons

Very much underpaid. Similar positions at other companies in the area pay at least 1.5X as much.

Too much change for the sake of change.

Management is in no way, shape or form connected with how the company is truly doing.

Employees, even at higher levels, are kept out of the loop of how the company us performing. I don't know if I'll get a giant bonus or lose my job.

Management is also disconnected with the needs of employees at all levels.

Upper management is simply ineffective and will try new things just to look like they’re doing something.

Some managers are not actually qualified to do their job, but they received their job from stroking someone’s ego or simply being Canadian; again, nice people.

Promotion is highly unlikely, let alone a raise based on performance.

Don't stay here for too long like I have. This place is like quicksand; the longer you stay, the harder it is to get out.

Little recognition for work done, no matter how good.

With all the red tape, there are days I think I work for the Federal government.

You will find that many employees are frustrated on a daily basis, this seems to be the theme around here.

Bonus structure (10-15% of salary) is silly at best. If the Irving company you’re working for does well and meets its numbers, but the refinery in Saint John that you have nothing to do with does not, then you don’t get your bonus.

Technology is by far outdated.

No one wants to take responsibility for anything. Trying to get anything done is futile.

Avoid the marketing team at all costs, they seem to be a bunch of headless chickens running around all day with no clear sense of direction. My department and others aren’t far behind.

A lot of turnovers in some departments. The people that stay and make this place their “home” are those that are just happy with the minimum.

If you like being an underpaid, hard worker only to have your work and career stifled by incompetent upper-management types, then this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Please just retire and replace yourself with someone that is competent. If you don't want to do that, then at least listen and connect with your employees, recognize what we do for you and appreciate it, and pay us what we truly deserve.

7. It's a good company to work with

I worked at Irving Oil Limited

Pros

Nice work environment
    Talent people to work with

Cons

Some over time required
    Not many opportunity

8. NOT fun.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint John, NB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint John, NB (Canada)

I worked at Irving Oil Limited full-time

Pros

Pays well as long as they need you.

Cons

Co is in disarray, and senior management is a total joke. No one steps out of their comfort zone, no one cares with passion, you can hear a pin drop at 4:31pm. No lustre, no zest, no out of the box thinking, very crushing place to work. Mr. Irving needs to get back in there and kick butt. The man had a value system that made sense. This management is redundant. Operating systems are redundant, IS people are useless, Project management is clueless, HR is not progressive. Robots at best.

Advice to Management

Quit.

Well, that party didn't last too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I worked at Irving Oil Limited

Pros

The company, if it could get it's act together, has great potential. I was only there a year loved every day, because I saw that this place was going to go somewhere.. or at least I thought so.

Cons

It doesn't have it's act together.!! Highly political, folks work in silo's for fear they are next on the chopping block, and do not want to rock the boat by offering their opinion on anything.
    Extremely colourless culture. Lots of MBA grads, with small jobs, HR is not effective,
    SLT spends money foolishly on un-thought-out projects, then buries them when they are not working. I joined one project that was simple enough, yet it had been four years, still unlaunched, and there was a fifth try to launch it when I joined. In a year, still not a single meeting about the project. I see waste here big time. Folks are not happy people there.

Advice to Management

Put me in charge!! I'll fix things...

10. engineering coop student

I worked at Irving Oil Limited

Pros

really good people to work with

Cons

no apparent downsides seen at the refinery

11. So far, a fantastic organization, with highly-skilled and user-friendly Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint John, NB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint John, NB (Canada)

I have been working at Irving Oil Limited full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exceptional talented people, scope of roles are diverse and interesting, lots to learn, and a super forum to give back and be heard. Company cares about it's people, by offering many courses internally regarding what we do and how we do it, also provides personal improvement classes and incentives. Benefits are about 80% what the competition offers. You can be you, and not too political. Salary and vacation time is fair and competitive. I am reading otherwise, but in my mind, if this is not for you, you need to leave and find what makes you happy. You would be of no use here
     at any rate. I have worked in a few corporations in my day, and trust me when I say it is always what YOU make of it. Same issues live in all other corporate environments Company is there to place certain expectations on you, and in return offer you a salary. It is your choice to take it or leave it.

Cons

We do have a few concerns: Disconnected communications, we are not as gelled in our direction as I would like to see. Old school mind-set, a little rigid, preventing talent to flourish and add value.
    But things are moving in the right direction, and company sees it's shortcomings- which in itself is more than I can say for other companies. Oh, and we could use some on-board training, just to get a feel for all we do.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of goals, share with your teams and keep lines of communication open.