Isilon, A Division of EMC

Updated January 12, 2015
3.3

Isilon, A Division of EMC President Bill Richter
Bill Richter

Pros
  • Flexible work hours, good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, SOME great people to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management in constant turmoil and strife and are intensely nepotic (in 4 reviews)

• Management is extremely inexperienced at managing (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Perfect environment for young professionals

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Isilon, A Division of EMC

Pros

It's plain and simple-a fun place to work. There is a high learning curve and drive to succeed, but the company doesn't leave you to drown. There is a plethora of trainings, support, and SMEs to utilize, and everybody is incredibly supportive.

Cons

Leadership is still forming due to a lot of organizational changes in the last 3 years.

A great place to work and grow, both for the ability to advance in the company and in your overall career.

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room to grow and many directions to move in. There are dozens of positions open on a constant basis, so there is always opportunity to move around and try new things.

Cons

Advancement can sometimes be limited by location - sometimes the position you want requires relocation to another office in another part of the world. They require reqs for promotion, so you have to wait until a req is made available for the position you want in the locale you want or it can be a painful process for an out of cycle promotion.

The worst.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Isilon was amazing "back in the day." Isilon prior to the EMC buyout stands as one of the most enjoyable jobs I've had at a small software company over the course of a 20 year career. I was excited about my job for years and happily worked insane hours for substandard pay and solid stock options. I believed in the product, and although there were some nagging evils (egomaniacal upper management in engineering, rampant chauvinism, gross incompetence in HR) I was able to overlook those and love my job.

Cons

After the EMC buyout, despite promises that they would not disrupt the "Isilon culture" the company went slowly but steadily downhill. The worst aspects of the corporate bureaucracy of EMC crept in, and the majority of the engineering talent left once their stock options vested. An "engineering driven" corporate culture became a company that worshipped blindly at the altar of new CS grads, relentlessly promoted underqualified engineers into management positions, and swept numerous issues of workplace harassment under the rug. EMC nepotism crashed into the organization and an era of towing the company line was introduced, where criticism was frowned upon and office politics became the rule of law. The worst HR organization I've ever seen became even worse, and even more creepy dudes went barefoot into the bathrooms to rub their feet in urine.

Growing company with excellent coworkers

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great community feel. Energized and customer focused coworkers.

Cons

Starting to feel like big business. The start up feel is slipping away.

One of the Worst Tech Companies to Work at In Seattle

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time

Pros

- There are some good people there, largely as a result of the former Isilon culture.
    - Engineers are happy, but appear to be the only happy employees.

Cons

There are too many to list. I have looked through most of the reviews here, and I can vouch for every single "con" that has been mentioned. I regret the years that I dedicated to that place. It was demoralizing, depressing and degrading. Unless you are an engineer, they will promise you training through their company training program, but then not provide it. This will go on for years. Employees lose their technical edge this way. Management is jaded, secretive, cynical and unhappy. Seattle is packed with tech companies. Go find a better place to work.

Have the courage to leave and manage elsewhere so that you can learn how to be a good manager. This place is a training ground for learning bad management habits.

Great co-workers, Bad Manager

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great amenities like free drinks and coffee
    Opportunity to learn NAS cluster architecture
    Great Co-workers and Managers (not the one I was working for)

Cons

Fifth person in this position, in less than a year, working in training, under a manager that railroaded any opportunity to speak with the target audience for design of any learning initiative. Her manner was not professional at all very brusque, and abusive with her commentaries to me. For some reason everyone in that position keeps doing the same material over and over, and it never gets published. I was reminded I was brought in for my ideas but, it turned out to be lip-service, as anytime I provided an idea, it found a wall or some reason why it cannot be implemented.
    Very frustrating.

If you have so much turnover in a specific position, that responds to just one person, is time to start looking at the manager not the employees. Previous employees all well qualified, including myself.

Great Internship

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Ability to choose the team you want to intern on.
    Treated like a full time employee with a project that usually will ship.
    Overall great team and fun experience.

Cons

EMC IT could use improvement.

Great internship experience

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great rooftop views, plenty of beer, free coffee/soda, tons of intern events. A lot of places avoid giving interns big projects, but Isilon seems to give interns projects that can actually help the company and actually feel like real work. No fetching coffee here, everyone seems pretty excited about interns.

Cons

Some fellow interns seemed to have a lot of meetings, which I would have hated, but they didn't seem to mind them.

I met my immediate manager, but I never really met anyone else up the chain. I know most of upper management is pretty busy, but it would still be nice to meet more of management.

Friendly atmosphere and super cool technology

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are free drinks and snacks in the office. Everyone is friendly and will take time to talk to you if you have a question. Having a mentor to help you out is a huge plus, so you know that there's always someone you can go to talk to when you have questions or are stuck on something. Also, there are a ton of fun company events that you can go to such as cruises and baseball/soccer games. Has a good work-life balance, though.

Cons

It can be difficult to find the information you need. Sometimes you feel like you're spending a lot of time trying to find the information rather than working on the solution.

The beginning of work was a little bit shaky, and a lot of time was spend trying to get myself situated with both my project and how the company operates. If there were some sort of intern quick start guide to explain that stuff, it would improve the experience.

Fun internship and a fun company

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun problems to solve
    Great work-life balance
    Very relaxed office atmosphere
    Lots of fun intern activities to keep things exciting
    Senior engineers are very knowledgeable and helpful

Cons

EMC's policies can get annoying (although people usually find a way to ignore them)
    Management seemed somewhat disconnected from engineering
    Not much training at the beginning (this is being addressed)

Isilon, A Division of EMC Photos