Island Hospitality

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014
2.1

Jeffrey Fisher

This comapny has taken good care of me, but I can't say the same for others

Current Employee - Inventory Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Inventory Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are willing, then the company will help you grow very quickly. It has the benefits, it has the know how, and it has the will to reward those who are loyal to the company. The people, both colleegues and management, are a plesure to work with.

Cons

Hard work will pay off, as long as you don't get the mentality of... "if I wasn't here, these guys would be SOL." Be prepaired to do a lot of reports... but don't feel down, because everyone does them.

There is a lack of 'in-person' training, so whether good or bad (moslty turns out bad), I feel I need be prepaired to figure some things out on my own. There is a big differance between being told what to do by a computer and being lead by a person.

A rush to hire colored people, Why?

I worked at Island Hospitality

Pros

There are no pro's here...

Cons

You guys suck on a grand level

Your rush to seem unbiased toward minorities is an obvious sham!! Bozos in charge of making these decisions don't get it" issues always start at the top and trickles down...management is clueless and I predict a shakeup in the making......ask why your company went into bankruptcy??? Obvious lack of good leadership...... period!!! I feel sorry for the workers there, .......

Bad business stupid people

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time for less than a year

Pros

None they fire anyone that wants to do it right. They hire girls thst they want to sleep with and put them in charge. you will be abused by these lack luster of managers

Cons

They only lije young inexperienced last name professionals as leaders. with no real world experience they put the young people into these important positions and then wonder why they keep failing. the owners of this company and do not have the ability to recognize real talent intelligence in management style lens to chaos and dissension. never have I work for a company that did not get it as much as this one. Now I'm going to form my own company and take all their business because they're stupid and they make bad decisions it will be easy to beat them

higher experience managers not managers who you want to sleep with

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run away as fast as you can!

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It doesn't snow in Florida.

Cons

Where to start? This company is lead by an ignorant buffoon who thinks its funny to belch and blurt out rude and obnoxious things as he walks around the office. He treats people like dirt and his sicophant executives are so afraid of getting fired they mimic his behavior.

The pay is miserable and there are never any increases due to "cutting back". Unless you can somehow work your way into the drunk executive circle they'll work every minute out of you that they can and then fire you and label you a malcontent.

Try acting like respectable human beings with just a modicum of class and respect for others. Or perhaps don't put all your trust in a VP of questionable character who has to "leave". ;)

System is broken

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High salary and good benefits. Room to grow and move around the country

Cons

Accounting is out of date and you can NEVER bring up thoughts on how to improve it. I tried to offer suggestions and was scolded like a child in front of my peers. The construction department is corrupt and people are fired for mentioning it.. Hard to handle

Look into the future. There are systems and ways to do things the eliminate all the need for paper. Listen to the people when they talk and just say no when you suggest. Do a serious audit of the construction team. As hotels we are held to ethics and audits. Why are they not?

Bad choice

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have a very casual atmosphere (shorts, flip flops, tee shirts) and not just on Fridays. They have an extended holiday schedule giving half days before the actual holiday, therefore getting 1 1/2 days off for each holiday.

Cons

Micro management, No open door policy as they claim. Don't ever put in a harassment claim, you will eventually lose your job. Happened to more than 1 person.. No "REAL" time off. Expected to work nights, weekends, some holidays and during your vacation. Overworked and not enough people for the workload. Systems are not up to date.

Need to take a look at the nepotism and be fair to all employees.

even with a management change, Micromanagement, remote department leaders...more nepotism

Former Employee - Like I Said
    Former Employee - Like I Said

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people work there, these same nice people are the backbone that carries this company, ......

Cons

Do you think you can achieve greater creativity being micromanaged or in a real team oriented environment?

Professionals with "people skills" around you is priceless............, assist with creating more dynamic programs that allow for greater morale, ...

A company with great opportunity!

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of actual growth opportunity and not just empty promises
    If you work hard- it will pay off for this company
    Company is very fair and opportunities are now offered to everyone instead of just the favorites
    Good Benefits
    Senior Management is very accessible- GMs have cell phone numbers for all of Executive Team and are welcomed to call at any time. Sometimes Senior VPs even call just to check in and ask if there is anything he can do for me!!!
    Corporate Office truly shows that they are there to support the properties

Cons

Hard to truly turn off- emails go around at all times
    Changes are sometimes expected immediately

Mistake

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time for more than a year

Pros

GM and DOS salaries are great.

I can't think of anything else to get me to the 20 word minimum.

Cons

Unless you are a gm or dos, don't expect to get paid well. Gm makes 2.5 times the salary of the AGM and other management staff!

Oh the micromanagement. If you like to run your hotel, this is not the company for you. There are so many controls in place that all you are doing is managing their processes and they manage your hotel.

Can't order supplies with out approval, really? I can't buy toilet paper on my own?

So much paperwork you don't really have time for guest interaction, it's as if they forgot that the guest are really what we are here for. It is sad.

Probably the worst thing is that there is no work life balance with this company. They expect you to work 24/7 and be available at all times. Feel free to take a day off but be ready to respond to every email that you get while you are on your own time.

I'm not sure how to I've advice to people who won't accept it, honesty you are not receptive to criticism but expect us to be.

Only getting better

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you work hard and succeed, promotions are plenty. Culture is improving by the day. This is a business and company and brand expectations are clear as can be. Why would any business allow folks to continuously fail or "see" if things will get better. You either have the skill or you don't. The majority of folks that rate this company poorly are job hoppers or don't have what it takes to make it in this business to begin with.

Cons

As I mentioned, company culture improving daily. If you are good at what you do, work-life balance will come naturally.

Keep working hard at improving culture

Worked for Island Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!