Island Hospitality

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeffrey Fisher

A company with great opportunity!

ProsTons of actual growth opportunity and not just empty promises
    If you work hard- it will pay off for this company
    Company is very fair and opportunities are now offered to everyone instead of just the favorites
    Good Benefits
    Senior Management is very accessible- GMs have cell phone numbers for all of Executive Team and are welcomed to call at any time. Sometimes Senior VPs even call just to check in and ask if there is anything he can do for me!!!
    Corporate Office truly shows that they are there to support the properties

ConsHard to truly turn off- emails go around at all times
    Changes are sometimes expected immediately

System is broken

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHigh salary and good benefits. Room to grow and move around the country

ConsAccounting is out of date and you can NEVER bring up thoughts on how to improve it. I tried to offer suggestions and was scolded like a child in front of my peers. The construction department is corrupt and people are fired for mentioning it.. Hard to handle

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into the future. There are systems and ways to do things the eliminate all the need for paper. Listen to the people when they talk and just say no when you suggest. Do a serious audit of the construction team. As hotels we are held to ethics and audits. Why are they not?

Bad choice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have a very casual atmosphere (shorts, flip flops, tee shirts) and not just on Fridays. They have an extended holiday schedule giving half days before the actual holiday, therefore getting 1 1/2 days off for each holiday.

ConsMicro management, No open door policy as they claim. Don't ever put in a harassment claim, you will eventually lose your job. Happened to more than 1 person.. No "REAL" time off. Expected to work nights, weekends, some holidays and during your vacation. Overworked and not enough people for the workload. Systems are not up to date.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to take a look at the nepotism and be fair to all employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

even with a management change, Micromanagement, remote department leaders...more nepotism

Like I Said (Former Employee)

ProsNice people work there, these same nice people are the backbone that carries this company, ......

ConsDo you think you can achieve greater creativity being micromanaged or in a real team oriented environment?

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessionals with "people skills" around you is priceless............, assist with creating more dynamic programs that allow for greater morale, ...

Mistake

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGM and DOS salaries are great.

I can't think of anything else to get me to the 20 word minimum.

ConsUnless you are a gm or dos, don't expect to get paid well. Gm makes 2.5 times the salary of the AGM and other management staff!

Oh the micromanagement. If you like to run your hotel, this is not the company for you. There are so many controls in place that all you are doing is managing their processes and they manage your hotel.

Can't order supplies with out approval, really? I can't buy toilet paper on my own?

So much paperwork you don't really have time for guest interaction, it's as if they forgot that the guest are really what we are here for. It is sad.

Probably the worst thing is that there is no work life balance with this company. They expect you to work 24/7 and be available at all times. Feel free to take a day off but be ready to respond to every email that you get while you are on your own time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure how to I've advice to people who won't accept it, honesty you are not receptive to criticism but expect us to be.

Only getting better

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you work hard and succeed, promotions are plenty. Culture is improving by the day. This is a business and company and brand expectations are clear as can be. Why would any business allow folks to continuously fail or "see" if things will get better. You either have the skill or you don't. The majority of folks that rate this company poorly are job hoppers or don't have what it takes to make it in this business to begin with.

ConsAs I mentioned, company culture improving daily. If you are good at what you do, work-life balance will come naturally.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working hard at improving culture

It was a learning experience never to repeat again

Management (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to learn how to deal and work for tyrant leaders
    Help you build a stronger back bone
    Great experience to use for another company and opportunity

ConsFavoritism and it's all about who you know not your skills or talent
    No support from upper management
    Use bully tactics to manage
    No open door policy-unable to voice concerns or to be heard
    screwed up bonus system that is filled with verbiage -will take away bonus from you that you deserved and earned by providing some BS explanation
    Tedious reports (weekly, monthly and yearly) that they do not look at
    EXTREME MICRO-MANAGEMENT
    Cheap with providing training

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees concerns / focus on creating a motivating and positive company culture

REALLY?

ProsDecent pay, good benefits (but not cheap). Some freedoms, but not many

ConsYour only as good as your last star report, good old white boy network, "support" comes with attitude and time consuming reports that no one reads (unless you are in their cross hairs and they can use it to yell at you for something) internal audit is ridiculous and no support there either. GM checklists paperwork daily could kill a forest. and the marketing plan process and any conference call is just laughable. No investment in Social media (dark age rack brochures are what they think are still effective and spend way to much money on) and they think "tripadvisor"!is cutting edge social media! This is the "bedrock" of management companies, Fred Flintstone would do well though. Oh an company officers and regionals wine and dine themselves, charge it back to their hotels then want to know why your property didn't make "flow" lol!

Advice to Senior ManagementOh, I don't know..,, be human? And perhaps market and support properties effectively? Get a real national sales and social marketing team? Trip advisor isn't the end all be all, unless we've gone back to 2010 and I missed my time machine trip

Love this company!

General Manager (Current Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsEveryone at the corporate office is amazing! People are treated fairly and consistant. Top management treats everyone with respect and are available at any time for a chat. I enjoy my job, I enjoy the company and I love the culture. Anyone that posts a negative review needs to look deep down and ask themselves if they have done or are doing the best job they can. Those that do their jobs have nothing to worry about. As with any job, if you aren't doing your job to the best of your ability, you should worry. If you screw up, own it! You will be respected for that.

ConsThe paperwork can get out of hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and don't change a thing!

Will terminate in a heartbeat and only really serve the boys club .

General Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsNot any I can think of but maybe the pay scale for the higher positions

ConsEffort and solid ethics disregarded
    All decisions and processes based on what the big boys want
    Discrimination is masked by policy and documentation that is designed to protect the uppers in the company - not the efforts of the workers at property level
    Hourly staff totally dispencible - managers are not protected only corporate level is
    Hrd work rewarded only if they want to because everything is deeply twisted and there are a few that are chosen.
    Even if you think you are doing well...watch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to find your ethics if it is even possible at this point.
    Moving money from point A to point B under new names is just a game. It is the people that work for you that are the real value, But hard for you to really get that cause you are so stuck on being the big wigs you are damaging humanity by turning your back on your best resources which is your work force and managers on site. You can not survive without them doing the grunt work but your turnover rate and reputation stem back to saying that you believe in your people and then you stab them in the back when you should step up and support them with honest, heartfelt effort. You have made some bad decisions and hurt people and thier families.

Worked for Island Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!