Island Hospitality Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Jeffrey Fisher

Pros
  • You can build real strong relationships with the teams you build at your property level (in 5 reviews)

• Corporate Office truly shows that they are there to support the properties (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Probably the worst thing is that there is no work life balance with this company (in 4 reviews)

• Corporate office fails to support the hotels in the manner that hotels support guests (in 4 reviews)

1. Excellent Place to Work

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work with room for growth.

Cons

Employees like to say "that's not my job" a lot, and you get run over by a lot of busses here.

2. Be aware! If you are looking to pad your resume for a couple years, this is the place. Then move on to a better company!

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a couple good reasons to work for Island Hospitality. They are growing at a rapid pace, which means plenty of opportunity, and they are willing to take chances on a first time General Manager or Director of Sales.

Cons

On the flip side, once you are in position do not expect support from very many at the corporate level. One reason they are willing to take a chance with an inexperienced GM or DOS is they LOVE to micromanage. There are many reports that are required, and these change at the whim of any VP. But when you ask for follow up or assistance with an issue at the property level and you can expect to wait for days or weeks for a reply, if you are lucky enough to receive one at all. The VP of Operations for the company has to have the last say in all management hiring issues, but does this without a sense of urgency so positions sit open for extended periods of time. In 2014 property level managers did not receive raises because "they wanted to bring hourly rates up to be comparable with the competition." Fast forward to 2015 and the hourly employees have yet to receive a raise this year, which they do all at one time?! As a GM I am constantly asked when the hourly employees will receive their raises, which is frustrating because I can't answer the question, and apparently neither can my Regional Vice President of Operations. BUT, they continue to promote everyone at the corporate office to a new title which one can only assume comes with a raise as well.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of your guests and your products.

3. Tax Preparer

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at is interaction. I really like to interact with people, I enjoy working with people because it gives me different ideas, different views; therefore, makes my job easier and better.

Cons

One of the downsides is when teamwork does not applied among the fellow employees. Work is best and more effective with teamwork. And therefore, plays a big role in the goals of the company.

Lots of opportunities for advancement

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunities for success and advancement are out there if you are prepared to work hard the sky Is the limit. The company continues to grow and if you are willing to relocate, you can move up quickly. The pay is good compare to other management companies and as long as your hotel is running well you will be left alone. Show results, be a hard worker, pass your audits and help others and you will enjoy your time with island.

Cons

With the higher pay, it seems that the bonus payouts may be a bit lower than some of the other management companies. Personally I feel that guaranteed money is better than potential money anyway. The internal audit is extremely difficult and there should be someone within the organization to help new GM's get started. If you inherit a hotel where the processes weren't followed you may never dig your way out with all of the other requirements and day to day aspects of running a hotel.

Advice to Management

A classroom training on the internal audit is a good start, but more assistance implementing the processes would increase the number of hotels that pass as well as reduce the stress on the GM's.

Great Company

Former Employee - Director of Sales
    Former Employee - Director of Sales

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time

Pros

Loved working with the ownership and corporate team. Very good on developing leaders

Cons

Long work hours and really need to focus on allowing managers to have a family work life balance

Growing company and if they take over your property, RUNNNN!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

I cannot think of any pros

Cons

They are very good in requesting more of the employees but they do not treat you like you are a person with a life. I have been in the hospitality industry for over 10 years and this company has seriously tainted my views about working in hotels.

Support just isn't there until it's too late

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management level pay is great, especially on the GM/DOS level. Tons of room for career growth (especially if you're a looker) There are some really great regionals and VPs. Incredibly passionate about their work. Pathways manager in training program is a great system for internal development.

Cons

Questionable promotions for people who leave a property only for the next person on the property to discover chaos left behind. So the new GM/DOS has to deal with it, all while the promoted person has a better job and isn't held accountable for it? I've seen bench managers sent to hotels that really didn't need one, simply because corp. didn't really care for the GM or management team. On the other hand, hotels with new GMs (new as a GM or new to Island) struggle to meet the long list of criteria and corporate just lets them suffer. Your GSS has to be in line, but you have 40 e-mails on things you have to send in ASAP..so how do you tend to your hotel or train your team? You don't................

Advice to Management

Provide some support for your newer GMs/DOSs that sets them up to succeed. Your regionals are burned out because they have 15 or more hotels and your VPs are overseeing hotels directly? Bench managers should not be outside hires, because what help are they if they don't know Island standards and have to learn as they go? At that point they are only a hindrance.

9. Set up for FAILURE!

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can move up the ladder quickly with their "manager in training" program. The salaries were good. They even have great benefits.

Cons

Don't be fooled, the company says the want you to succeed but don't give you the training you need. Their management training is unstructured to say the least. Then after six months or a year they put you in a management position you're not ready for and wonder why you aren't doing well. There is NO TRAINING! What do you expect someone to do if you don't tell them how to do it.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be patient and train your new managers, money can't buy knowledge about this industry. You have to put the hours in and teach them. Lord knows you expect them to put in the hours.

Run Away....I seriously mean run!

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time

Pros

I spent about 20 minutes trying really come up with one that was genuine and full of fluff and since I cannot I can tell you that this is one of the most miserable experiences a professional can have. I wish I could have given 0 stars but you have to give at least 1.

Cons

Start with diversity in the company. If you are thinking about working for them and a member of a minority group spend some time looking at the corporate leadership. That should tell you their commitment to diversity. Arrogant management and to be honest they don't care about you. The only interest corporate has is profits and revenue. The turnover has been crazy and I have also heard of managers coming to work and being canned on the spot with no warning. Salaries suck and benefits are terrible as well, once you finally get them (no vacation time until after 1 year).

Advice to Management

Sell the company to people who really care and deflate your egos a bit. You could learn something from your managers who know their properties and markets.

Set up for failure

Pros

Good salary and benefits..but you are their slave

Cons

Upper management is a joke...they compete to see who can bully employees the hardest...they are very much into intimidation, veiled threats and motivation by shame. The "brown-shoe" gang as I call them...they even dress alike. Middle management can't make decisions because the top 2 or 3 suits override them..no real empowerment to make decisions. They live and die by numbers, greed, ego and power. Oh, if you are really "good" you get to go on an Aruba trip - with the upper management...not your family or friends....no thanks! Not an incentive in my eyes. Women are treated less than men regarding decisions, ideas, and problem solving efforts for the hotel...an idea you had as a woman holds no merit until a man comes along and recycles your idea.

Advice to Management

Don't hire professionals in this industry who are used to making business decisions using their brain and market knowledge. Recruit people who are order takers, like being treated like a door mat, and who have just gotten out of college and don't know any better.

RSS Feed </> Embed