Islands Restaurants

www.islandsrestaurants.com

Islands Restaurants Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2014
Islands Restaurants – Foothill Ranch – “Sun rising over the entrance to an islands…”

Tony DeGrazier

Been working here for 4 years, its pretty good considering a lot of things

Server (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsServing, average around $25 an hour at our restaurant which is supposedly one of the busier ones. Jobs pretty easy. Some really cool people work at what seems to be all Islands restaurants. Met some of the people I am closest to now at where I currently work. Flexible around your schedule if you are in school or if you have another job.

ConsSometimes new managers do not know what they are doing. It seems like when that happens, they get talked to for not knowing what they are doing and then try to act like they know what they are doing by being a total turd. Just saying though. Customers are a pain in the butt sometimes, but where are they not.

Great company overall

Bartender (Former Employee) Marina del Rey, CA

ProsThe flexibility and loyalty to veteran employees is top notch. This only goes for those with good work ethics though. Like all other successful businesses, they look for hard-working people who are willing to be open-minded about their training process. Follow these two key steps and they will treat you with respect, allow you to grow as an individual, and encourage you to follow your dreams!

ConsTheir corporate structure has been slightly changing overtime allowing for an influx of younger individuals who have no sense of what it means to have good work-ethics. That being said, it has nothing to do with the company itself, but rather a personal negative opinion on the millennial generation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to contribute to any acts of irresponsibility by current employees and hold them accountable for their actions.

Very strict and corporate.. but fun atmosphere.

ProsFun atmosphere when the managers aren't freaking out about one thing or another. It is not a stuffy environment. People, guests, and managers are always having fun, joking around with one another, and overall trying to have a good time.

Consit is very corporate meaning they have tons of insignificant rules such as no nailpolish other than pink or red, no buns braids or TOO HIGH ponytails.. no abnormal hair colors or styles, men must always be clean shaven, if your nail polish is chipped you are removing it before your shift, you are only as good as your alcohol percentage that night (and even when it is excellent no one will remember it past tonight...you will still be scolded for your low alcohol tomorrow)

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement honestly tends to be so concerned with all the rules they have to follow eg. high alcohol percentage, meeting labor hours, keeping comps low, etc.. that the positive reinforcement tends to get lost in all the mess. To be honest sometimes you can do all the right things and mistakes happen or the fish don't bite on the alcohol line. It doesn't mean your employees aren't hard working people who deserve to be appreciated a little bit more often. You tend to only hear when you do something wrong around places like this.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Life of a Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosweekends off for GM
    50 hour work week
    bonus not based on operation or productiviy so you may get lucky and get most of your bonus

ConsCorporate office is still learning how to run a company
    Higher ups are all buddies and feel untouchable
    Manager turnover is high due to ... its not a good place to work if you are a educated and qualified operator. this place is for servers who work they way up, not experienced business people.

Advice to Senior Managementreally look into your Directors and Regionals

It is NOT what it claims to be!

ProsThey give you a monthly stipend to use at any Islands restaurant.

ConsCorporate says whatever they have to to get you in the door. Then you quickly find out it's all smoke and mirrors. They make any excuse to not hand out bonuses, raises, &/or promotions. I could go on but I would be here for hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your managers, give them their bonuses, and stop treating them like crap.

Decent place to work

Trainer/Server (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFun place to work, very up beat. Very flexible schedule. Short hours. Good food. Gym membership bonus. Discount on food.

ConsShitty cast of characters to work with, managers are fresh out of training and constantly coming and going. Most of then have no idea what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe don't hire criminals

It was ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and treatment of employees in theory. Scheduling was inconsistent but usually fair. Enjoyed the people I worked with.

ConsA lot of saying the right things but not a whole lot of delivering on those things. Good people with unrealistic goals and expectations

Server

Server (Former Employee) Orange, CA

ProsIslands became a family for me. All of my managers were always approachable and my coworkers became my best friends. I would tell ANYONE to work at Islands. It taught me customer service, how to work with managers, and hospitality. It was and has been probably the best job I've ever had. You work but also have fun

ConsSometimes managers would be annoyed when asking for time off due to school or school related events. Understand that is a part time job, not career, for most of us.

Fun, chill, people-oriented

Hostess & ETO (Former Employee) Orange, CA

ProsFun environment with lots and lots of people.

ConsShifts are sometimes unpredictable as far as scheduling goes.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more one-on-one training time and staff bonding opportunities.

Fun, easy, flexible place to work

Server (Current Employee)

ProsA very mellow, relaxed, fun atmosphere but one in which the guest is always #1. The easiest serving job around.

ConsLots of pressure from the corporate guys. They don't take care of their employees as they should i.e. very few benefits for part-time employees and cooks.

Worked for Islands Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!