Isobar US Reviews

53 reviews filtered by
3.4
Isobar US Co-CEOs for USA Jeff Maling & Geoff Cubitt
Jeff Maling & Geoff Cubitt

Pros
  • Flexible schedule / work from home when you need it (in 4 reviews)

• Great, smart people worked there (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, demanding environment, client expectations are high (standard for the agency business) (in 4 reviews)

• Hard work; no hand-holding; need to work on knowledge sharing (in 3 reviews)

1. Great place to work

I have been working at Isobar US full-time

Pros

Smart/fun people to work with
    Variety of projects/industries
    Good career development
    Lots of free snacks/beverages

Cons

Benefits could be cheaper - surprised they aren't since our parent company who selects our benefits is so large
    Would like to see more company events/activities

2. I love working here so far. Great technical and creative projects and clients.

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Isobar US full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Isobar for less than a year, but so far I love it. The best reason to work at Isobar is how exciting the creative and technical projects are. They are growing fast and I've noticed that the trend is improving when it comes to how exciting the brief (and non-brief!) work is. I believe this is a result of their investments in R&D and innovation as well as the fact that it is now a global digital agency.

For example, the lab / hackerspace in the New York office is nice for physical prototyping and electronics... lots of great tools and resources. You can make pretty much anything in there. I also get to work with some of the smartest developers and creative coders around. Some of these guys/gals are like artists who also know how to code. Others are more like coders who have an appreciation for art. There are also hackathons, exhibitions and conferences + a fair bit of exposure to startups and new technologies (before they become available to the public). As a developer, Isobar tends to get devices first.

Isobar is also an MIT Media Lab sponsor, so that's pretty cool. They tend to hire entrepreneurial types, hackers, and hardcore coders but they also hire super creative-types as well. It's also great how cross-disciplinary it some of the projects are.

Cons

People haven't heard of Isobar! It can be annoying at times when you tell people "I work at Isobar", but since it's a pretty new company in the US, often people haven't heard of us.

Keep doing what you're doing!

3. Extremely smart people and lots of opportunity for personal growth, though can be demanding at times

Former Employee - Interactive Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Interactive Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Isobar US full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Good job security
    -Very intelligent dev teams, you will learn a ton about the industry quickly (huge plus for recent college grads)
    -Able to work from home when bad weather or other situations necessitated it
    -A few neat perks such as Bagel Fridays, and monthly company lunch meetings
    -Very fair time-off policies
    -Friendly work environment (I've never had an issue with any of my co-workers)

Cons

-I've seen quick turnover for folks who've under-performed early on
    -45+ hour work week can be tough with no overtime pay (not uncommon to be connected even after hours)
    -Work can feel a little stale if you are staffed on a retainer project with a long term contract
    -Some projects may be understaffed
    -Pay is a bit lower than average, and it can take a long time to receive a significant raise or promotion
    -Consulting environment may not be for everyone

Focus more on tending to the needs of individual projects (sufficient resources/tools, etc). Also I would recommend obtaining more short term contracts as opposed to long term. Although long term means great financial security and can become stale very quickly for developers.

5. Had a lot more interesting work when it was Roundarch, now it's mostly boring marketing/off the shelf CMS work.

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Isobar US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Money and security, they can't hire fast enough.

Cons

Mostly boring work for developers despite hype of "innovation", consulting means dealing with the absolute idiots of corporate America.

At least try to choose work with some eye to innovation for developers else what talent there is developer wise will leave because good developers don't care that much about high salaries, good devs can get that just about anywhere right now.

6. Misleading organization

I have been working at Isobar US

Pros

Great views of the city and free snacks

Cons

They seem to be more concern with marketing to hustle for accounts then actually delivering quality projects with quality staff. Management is loyal to the fault and promote the closed off cliquish work environment; outside talent or creative ideas are not welcomed.

Hire new leaders - current ones are not willing to change and often perpetuate toxic environment.

7. Great initial impression

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Isobar US

Pros

Amazing new starter experience
    Top notch clients and resources
    Incredible office environment
    Great HR support

Cons

Hmmm I'm still in the honeymoon period so nothing really to mention here... Will update if anything changes but all seems promising.

OK

I worked at Isobar US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of cool people gravitated toward Isobar initially because we were doing cool, innovative work that was not static and the flexibility to work from home and the hours were great. We also had a lot of office outings an the organization was willing to provide time off and spend for philanthropic causes.

Cons

I find that most innovative people have moved on because of the work that has come in and sheer boredom. The politics of a growing, acquired company have been hard to sift through. My job opportunities and mobility virtually came to a stand still during the acquisition.

Challenge your staff and hold regular leadership meetings among departments, business units and senior leadership to avoid disconnect and boredom. Be transparent about sales, pitches and goals and what they mean for every department and business unit. Allow everyone to contribute and build consensus and I guarantee you will surface some rising stars.

9. Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Isobar US full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are lots of smart people. The environment is super collaborative. The clients are generally high profile, so projects are great resume builders. The Chicago office is very social and people are very friendly and inclusive.

Cons

I am not sure how the review process works, but I feel like it's less structured than larger consultancies/ agencies. Honestly, not much to say here.

Keep doing what you're doing - it's working.

10. Great place to work - had a lot of fun

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Isobar US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High profile clients. Great offices. Enjoyed working with diverse teams both local and remote. The leadership of the company would often have one on one meetings with staff to get the feel of what is going on.

Cons

Expected to work long hours. It also seems that if you have children that you get clumped in a non-fast track group.

11. OK

I worked at Isobar US full-time

Pros

Good clients and projects, good time off, good work life balance

Cons

Not enough training, need more outings & social events

Allow people to make suggestions to improve the culture -- in the NY office