Ista North America

www.ista-na.com

Ista North America Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014
Ista North America – Alpharetta – “Preston Ridge I”

Mark Ianni

New hires are improving culture

ProsEmployees are generally collaborative and empowered to make decisions. Good work life balance. Recent promotions and new hires has improved how teams work together.

ConsHigh customer expectations seems to force employees to find quick fixes rather than long term solutions. Some work can be repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers with management experience not just for their technical skills. Develop more employees to become managers.

Would not recommend to a friend

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

Pros• Fast paced environment
    • Some great people
    • Good building with workout facility & open work areas
    • Good location (Alpharetta)
    • Corporate events like annual international Bowling & Soccer tournaments are well executed
    • Extensive telecommuting program; team members are usually available through Lync
    • May 2014 reorg seemed to be a positive move
    • Parent company has deep pockets
    • Interesting: Actual employees are pictured on the career website
    • Update: free catered lunch on Thursday was discontinued
    • Update: New FT employees get benefits starting the first full month

Cons• High attrition: by my count, 12 people (~10% of the total workforce) quit / kicked out within ~3 weeks in Spring 2014
    • Key ista|net product is highly fragmented & needs a major architecture overhaul
    • Not enough conference room space
    • Very few onshore developers & QA (~20-30% on my team) – most is offshore contract
    • Too many people crammed into workspace with small desk areas, most people keep headphones on
    • Common work hours are wacky. Many developers reported working 12-14 hour days, including many consecutive weekends. However, I noticed that the office was consistently extremely quiet before 9:00, and after 4:00. Lots of “work” executed via iphones.

Advice to Senior Management• Build a culture of trust
    • Replace the several architects who have left in the past year
    • Focus on a medium to long strategy, rather than being reactionary
    • Evaluate leadership – some mid-level managers seem to be in way over their heads

Don't do it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUnfortunately, there aren't any pros now that all of good people have left.

Cons1) Management that doesn't act.
    2) CIO that is clueless.
    3) Bad decisions by upper management.
    4) Ancient code base.
    5) Poor salaries, so have to hire unqualified developers.
    6) Expectation of management for workers to work nights and weekends to complete a project they made impossible promises for.
    7) Don't know they are a software company.
    8) Too many "key" people who "can't" be fired, but cause irreversible damage to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither recruit top tier people (management and developers) that know what they are doing or close the company. To offshore the development of the product that makes money results in higher over all cost and huge increase of technical debt.

Stop worrying about "metrics" start worrying about software maturity!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad experience, but raises and salary are below average

Help Desk (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAbility to work remote. Flexible schedules

ConsPoor Management. Below Average Salary rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay workers according to industry and implement a better management strategy.

Ista was a very nice place to work. What I liked most about Ista was that there was a lot of nice people there.

Print Coordinator (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsOne of the best experiences for me at Ista, was that, I was chosen to create a Company Song Jingle. I created "OO Ista". This song jingle was used for Advertising at Trade Shows, and for their Customer Service Phone Line.

ConsI enjoyed working at Ista. I was there for 10 years, I thought is was a well run company.

Advice to Senior ManagementChanges in Management sometimes happen. I've learned that company's have to make adjustments.

Not a good career move

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people, good building, good area

Cons"open" workspace where you don't even have a cube, weird management decisions, weird always changing priorities which caused focus shifts daily

Advice to Senior ManagementNah

No direction by management

Developer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompany culture was decent among peers.

ConsConstant change in direction by management. Unwilling to lead. They state what should be done, what they want to do, where they want to go, but no follow through. You're left on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've lost a lot of good employes. The tide is against you. You have to stop the bleeding. You have to identify your most important resources, how you're making money, why you're losing it. You need to understand and better anticipate the market

Sinking Ship

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsIsta Soccer Tournament. Travel to a different country in Europe once a year. All expenses paid

ConsLoosing clients and revenue fast, High employee turn over, poor management. No training, learn on your own

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild the entire system and start from scrath

high employee attrition due to lack of support from senior management

Prossomewhat stable company that offers incredible insight into the business of deregulated energy.

ConsMost projects are sales driven initiatives which conflict with product stabilization issues. There are some key senior executives that know what they are doing, but most just now the buzz words in order to finalize the sale. Executive team is recently revamped, but ultimately still has to get approval for every expense from the parent company in Germany.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and offer more avenues for feedback. There are very limited opportunities to participate in the development of our service offerings.

The turnover rate at this company makes employment a less-than-desirable experience.

Print Coordinator (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsFree catered lunch provided every Thursday by company; various annual employee events, such as a parking-lot cookout; early release on days before holidays

ConsWide-scale layoffs without opportunity to cross-train with other departments; departments formed then dissolved; bare minimum pay raises; allegations of racial discrimination

Advice to Senior ManagementFewer layoffs and more promotions (or even lateral movement) to other departments would result in far greater morale.

Worked for Ista North America? Contribute to the Community!