It's Just Lunch

Updated February 27, 2015
2.9

It's Just Lunch President Melissa Brown
Melissa Brown

Pros
  • The only benefit is you get to work from home (in 19 reviews)

• The best part of it is that I get to help people find love (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They give leads for your territory to someone else that they "like" so you are left with years old leads (in 6 reviews)

• It honestly seems like the dating directors are basically set up to fail and given impossible to reach numbers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I'd liked it so Much I left and Came Back

Current Employee - Elite Division in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Elite Division in Denver, CO

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job is rewarding. It's amazing that you can help people fall in love. The culture is fantastic, I work with some of the most incredible women ever. Great managers, great upper management.

Cons

There really aren't any. I left for 6 months and came back bc I love it so much.

We work very hard but ultimately our success is in our own hands.

Current Employee - Dating Specialist
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist

I have been working at It's Just Lunch

Pros

Base compensation isn't the best. However, if individually we hit our numbers and weekly revenue the commission is unlimited. We can write our own checks as long as all recommendations for our success are followed. This position has definitely taught me a lot about myself. If I have my heart in a career I give it 110%. With that being said, this is very difficult to sell if your head and heart aren't into your client. I've learned to be a truly active listener, as opposed to a face-to-face position, which not only helps me in my professional life but personal as well.

Cons

Training was very thorough and there was a lot to take in. It took me about two to three months to really grasp everything and how it all comes together. Everyday I run into something new. So, if you don't have patience, it's most likely not for you.

The only advice I can give to management is...stay on the same page with one another and your employees. Don't treat each employee exactly the same. We all have a multitude of personalities, strengths and weaknesses, get to know those. Stay focused on the fantastic staff you have and work a little harder to make them flourish, not replace them.

Eh.

Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Remote, OR

I have been working at It's Just Lunch

Pros

Work from home and PTO

Cons

Unrealistic Sales Goals. I fear for my job every time I don't hit a 10k week. Sales Managers question you rather than support you.

Realistic Goals

Run don't jog or walk

Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at It's Just Lunch

Pros

Work from home, PTO time

Cons

I left a lucrative position because of an unpleasant work environment. I was told by the recruiter the rookie was making $50,000 a year..so not true! This would still have been a pay cut but doable. I was the top sales person at my old position and could barely give these memberships away. They are overpriced and the matches are horrible. In most states there isn't even enough matches. You have to lie to these poor people who want to find love and continuously call people who have asked numerous times not to be called. The management is so phony in an almost cult like way. They have all the same answers when questions arise. I lasted 3 months. The pay @ 8.50 an hours is unrealistic and then with the draw you might as well kiss the good week you may have been lucky to have goodbye by the next pay. All these reviews that are good are from the home office which is a complete joke. This company should be called It's just Lies!!!

Need to clean house it's almost cult like how they all sound the same and give the same answers no matter what the question.

Fun, Supportive and Awesome

Current Employee - Dating Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Our team of managers are Amazing!! They are supportive and helpful. It's Just Lunch provides wonderful training that is informative and fun! Our main focus is on our clients. Providing them with quality, fun 1st dates!!!

Cons

No cons just a Wonderful job being able to add love, laughter and happiness to our clients lives.

What a wonderful team and I'm so happy to have the chance to be apart of their team.

Its Just Lunch is a Great Company

Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Hallandale Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Hallandale Beach, FL

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

work from home; no weekend work required; company provides your equipment; great potential to make a lot of money with really hard work and a lot of luck

Cons

unrealistic sales goals for new and veteran sales associates

Set realistic goals that can be achieved by the average person within a reasonable amount of time. Remove leads that are not reachable or not interested.

very high stress level

Former Employee - Sales Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great money, fun community events and strong supportive office staff

Cons

extremely stressful, long hours, phone sales, poor upper management

Focus more on the company values versus meeting and exceeding office quotas. People can hear that you are money hungry over the phone.

Nope nope nope nope

Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You worked from home, paid training.

Cons

Sitting in front of a computer for hours, reading from scripts, cold calls to people who have been harassed by the company for years just because one night they thought they might like to try a dating service.

Be better people.

So far so good

I have been working at It's Just Lunch

Pros

The team you work with are very sociable and accommodate to the schedule you need.

Cons

Seems like there is a lot of turnover in the main office. Also when policies change the training is not transferred to remote workers.

Keep everyone in the loop with better communication.

The Real It's Just Lunch Review (as a Dating Director)

Former Employee - Dating Director in Hallandale Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Dating Director in Hallandale Beach, FL

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility, we work fairly independently and for the most part are allowed to do our jobs without being micromanaged. The staff is filled with nice people who are friendly and make working at a job like this as fun as possible. Over all the environment is an inviting one. They host events in office and try to encourage as positive a work environment as possible. We get random pizza parties and birthday cake monthly to encourage positivity. Working with clients and being in part responsible for their romantic success is rewarding and can make all the difference in the word. The job on a basic level is fun and the office staff does an excellent job of making the most out of it. In terms of management they do want you to be successful on a personal level so that makes you feel like you can ask for help. Also the hours are nice, the basic shifts are 10 am to 7 pm and 12 pm to 9 pm, pick your poison. Also, the company is very giving when it comes to time off. They are understanding with last minute changes and patient when your schedule changes. The paid time off is a nice addition and the benefits are surprisingly good once you become eligible for them after 90 days, including free dental! Also there is a generous bonus structure (i will speak more about that in the cons section)

Cons

Well...let's start with the pay. At $12.00 and hour you can barely live off that. There's no such thing as raises at this company although they do provide a seemingly generous bonus structure. However it's misleading, the standard way to bonus is by scheduling an above average number of dates and making sure a large majority percentage of your clients are serviced however it's bafflingly hard to hit even the minimum standards for a bonus. Only 1 or 2 people at the company do it with any regularity...if at all. It honestly seems like the dating directors are basically set up to fail and given impossible to reach numbers. I would be shocked if the company did not realize how laughably unrealistic it is to reach the bonus level, yet they seem not to care. I must admit it is frustrating getting the idea of the bonus structure rammed down your throat when nobody can actually hit it. Although management appears to try their best, the company itself seems to not at all value to position of dating director, despite it literally being the backbone of the company. In general the dating director has a lot of responsibility, takes most of the blame yet simultaneously has the least power and say and makes the least money of anyone in the company. Clients can also be shockingly ignorant and rude however that's not the company's fault however I do feel the expectations given to the clientèle are out of whack and lead to future issues.

I don't think this review will make a difference this company will keep on truckin as they have been successful despite the criticisms and many lawsuits against them. The company could care less about suggestions good or bad from anyone. Although there are many negatives to working at IJL, I would like to take the time to say that there are also many positives and even though my employment as a dating director ended somewhat abruptly, I still believe that this company does a lot of good and can be much better than the the flawed product they often deliver. I teetered and tottered between 2 and 3 stars as an overall rating but I think 3 is fair.

Also...there's no need to put these fake reviews on here, you're embarrassing yourselves. People can see right through the overly positive reviews and know they aren't genuine.

It's Just Lunch Photos

We are passionate and enthusiastic about our company and concept!

+ Add Photo