It's Just Lunch Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. The WORST rip off of a career move I EVER made!

Former Employee - Matchmaker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Matchmaker in Houston, TX

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Evidently most offices have gone to work from home. But in 2012 my office overlooked the biggest shopping area in the city so it made the office seem upscale even with its sleezy practices.

Cons

Basically worked for minimum wage. Had to sale 8 memberships a week to qualify for bonuses; the office average was 4 or 5 so that means owners were stuffing the money in their bank accounts. A bunch of the leads were 10+ years old and married & what were we instructed to tell them??? "Divorce is on the rise so we wanted to check in on you!" Even though at least 2 pages of notes reflected the same conversation that had been happening for years & the person had demanded to be removed from the list! How ethical is that??

Advice to Management

Learn ethical practices of match making.

The truth about IJL!!!!!!

Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at It's Just Lunch

Pros

Working from home and not meeting these fake personalities in person. And that's pretty much it. The idea of their commission structure soundssssss great, but it's not happening.

Cons

You make no money! Unless you're okay with just making minimum wage this position will not be your ideal source of income. You might collect a decent commission every once in a while, but on average you're at the bottom of the commission structure because the sale is hard and what you collect is just 1-6%. Which is nothing! Unfortunate your clients don't have a positive experience with our service, and our reviews are very much forced or faked. We have all been asked to write positive reviews about our company I'm sure all the bad ones scare off new recruits, which it should! We host monthly trainings with 30+ potential employees and most don't make the cut! I left a nice job for this... Thinking it would be a smart move and it's not! Recruiter said to me that a rookie would make 50-75k annually, which was a pay cut for me to take but I liked the idea of working from home. But that's not what we make! Don't believe the fake reviews!

Advice to Management

$$$

3. Amazing Culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at It's Just Lunch (More than 10 years)

Pros

An incredible team with supportive management and a fun work environment.

Cons

Not for those looking for an outside account management role.

You will never make money working here-it's their business model.

Current Employee - Membership Coordinator/Dating Specialist
    Current Employee - Membership Coordinator/Dating Specialist

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work from home. No micro management. You can say whatever you want to clients.

Cons

You make minimum wage & commission. (The commission structure ensures if you sell a $2800 or $4500 plan, you will only make $25 or $45. They limit your leads so you don't earn commission.) IJL gives the same 5 people all of the leads & hires unsuspecting people who work their butts off for minimum wage. It's a total scam. Another con is having to listen to the squeaky IJL voices & fake attitudes of management.

Advice to Management

Even your senior reps have figured out your business model. You better figure out something quick before the whole company goes out of business!

An incredible culture and fulfilling profession!

Former Employee - Client Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I spent 6 years with It's Just Lunch Seattle and I miss it everyday! The matchmaking industry has grown tremendously and the volume of clients the Seattle office matched on a daily basis was fast-paced and exciting. I was promoted 3 times in 6 years.

Cons

It's an independently owned franchise and I have so much respect for the team and owner of the Seattle office. It was sometimes a challenge to on-board clients that would transfer from the corporate owned IJL offices as they would have negative experiences and it would take longer to gain their trust.

Have Fun Calling 15 year old leads!

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work from home.

Cons

You work 9 hours a day calling old leads that have been called 100+ times in the last 15 years and had originally said "no" when given the sales pitch. They train you to call them 3 times in a row for weeks and weeks on end "until you get the join". Some of these people called in, found out how over-priced the service is, and said no.....then we call them for 10 years until they answer the phone shouting expletives at new employees.

Advice to Management

Give everyone a mix of new and old leads instead of letting a small select group get rich while everyone else gets belittled and screamed at and treated like garbage from the leads we've harassed since 2000. You bring on a new crop of trainees and get them swamped with bad leads and bad calls and ridiculous expectations and wonder why everyone quits. Shocker!

Nice Staff, Terrible Business Model, Miserable Clients

Former Employee - Director/Matchmaker
    Former Employee - Director/Matchmaker

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is nice and tries their best to be helpful. You work from home and have the flexibility to move around your home office.

Cons

You sell to people who trust you and then are not involved in their matching process. There are not enough men to match with the women and people are sent out on dates that are absolutely terrible matches for either of them just to get the client out. It is a terrible waste of the client's money. They sell dreams to these people, are on a quota, and you won't make any money, $12 an hour unless you sell a ridiculous amount of memberships to unsuspecting people. If you are desperate for a job you will sell your soul in this one. The hours are horrific you work at night and all day and it is very difficult to juggle your life, especially if you have a family as I do.

Advice to Management

Change your entire business model. This one is not working and is unfair to the employee and to the client.

Dating Specialist

Current Employee - Datinf Specialist
    Current Employee - Datinf Specialist

I have been working at It's Just Lunch

Pros

I have worked for It's Just Lunch for almost 2 years. I feel the support I have received from the management to be a positive one, especially from my manager. Yes, this is considered to be a sales position, but for me, also one that is truly abouthelping people to find that someone special when so many other ways they have tried to meet people have not worked. We do NOT guarantee marriage, but fun first date with quality like-minded people they would not have had the opportunity to meet. The commission structure is bar none, and in my first year, hit almost 6 figures. So shame on those that write such negative reviews, I understand that we all have our own perceptins and opinions, and are entitled to voice them. However, after reading some of the what I feel were nasty comments, my experience with IJL has been wonderful. There are always 2 sides to everything!!!

Cons

This is not for everyone

I'd liked it so Much I left and Came Back

Current Employee - Elite Division in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Elite Division in Denver, CO

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is rewarding. It's amazing that you can help people fall in love. The culture is fantastic, I work with some of the most incredible women ever. Great managers, great upper management.

Cons

There really aren't any. I left for 6 months and came back bc I love it so much.

Dating specialist

I worked at It's Just Lunch

Pros

Loved working from home No micro management Good hours Managers do help you and are knowledgeable Thorough training program which is a week long

Cons

Old leads ( some have been called 100 plus times Poor customer service Managers will tell you what you want to hear and that customers lie Most leads are 10 plus years old

Advice to Management

Work on customer service issues

RSS Feed </> Embed