It's Just Lunch

Updated November 25, 2014
2.9

It's Just Lunch President Melissa Brown
Melissa Brown

Pros
  • The only benefit is you get to work from home (in 19 reviews)

• The best part of it is that I get to help people find love (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They give leads for your territory to someone else that they "like" so you are left with years old leads (in 6 reviews)

• It honestly seems like the dating directors are basically set up to fail and given impossible to reach numbers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent employer and they truly are #1 in matching quality, professional singles!

Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's Just Lunch offers an excellent work environment. The team of trainers, managers, support staff etc are absolutely wonderful! I've worked in Corporate America since 1986 and they truly do stand out among the very best. This is the most incredible career move I have ever made and I am thrilled to have this opportunity to affiliate myself with them.

Our clients are top notch and we really do match busy professionals with other busy professionals that have the characteristics, hobbies, interests and core values/morals they seek in a mate. Did I say the support staff and management were amazing? Yes, what I like is that the managers and support staff all started at ground level. They are energetic, inspiring and encouraging.

Feedback, positive encouragement and a very tight knit team is hard to find these days in a faced paced, growing organization. It does NOT lack here at It's Just Lunch. I am truly impressed!! Never been happier!

As far as income... well, they offer uncapped commissions and its up to you how much you can make! Excellent income potential, while having a great time getting to know amazing people and changing their single lives to a life of happiness and love!!

Cons

Honestly, I cannot think of anything. Equipment is all state of the art, IT Support Staff is on top of everything and I have not one complaint. Administrative staff is helpful, friendly and always there.

My advice is this... KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! TOP NOTCH!!! I tell everyone I talk to what an amazing career I have here and I'm always trying to recruit when I meet someone that I feel would be a great addition to the staff.

This is the most unethical company ever.

Current Employee - Matchmaker in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Matchmaker in Portland, OR

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get your own office.

Cons

This is the most unethical company ever. They hire men and then fire them after a few weeks. All to get around EEO. They listen to all calls and then call you if you didn't shove a contract down someone's throat. They give leads for your territory to someone else that they "like" so you are left with years old leads. Many are so old they have already gotten married! Commissions are paid based on a weeks sales so you won't make much over minimum wage. Better plan on working extra hours and weekends if you want to even have a chance at a sale. Other territories grab your calls after hours if you don't answer at the first ring. They lie about almost everything and the packages are so expensive even Lawyers and Doctors won't buy. You have to make over 100 calls per day to old leads who aren't home during the day. They change territories constantly so you may not have the territory where you live!!! And....you don't EVER give out your last name because unhappy customers have given death threats when you won't (can't) give their money back. Save yourself and don't even apply to this place!!!!!!!!!!!!

Price the packages so sales can be made. Groups will be big enough so people can actually date more than one time! Stop monitoring every call.

Jun 9, 2014Human Resources Director

At It’s just lunch, we adhere to All EEO guidelines and procedures, and would never hire or fire someone based on gender. As with most companies that employ sales customer service representatives ... More

Unprofessional Management with the maturity level of a 9th grader.

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work from home. No one breathing down your back at home. You get to eat your own food.

Cons

There are so many cons. The town of Stepford would love the management here! Women over the age of 50 are given ONLY ONE MATCH. Define Match according to IJL..LOCATION and AGE. That's it. I was given leads over 12 years old. Even when prospects request repeatedly to be put on the Do Not Call list, IJL NEVER does. They wait a month and keep calling them. Your name and number will continue to be called until you get married. To those reading the reviews, please keep in mind that the positive reviews are from the management of IJL, which has absolutely no credence. The negative reviews are from real employees and telling you how it really is. Don't walk...RUN from IJL. Save yourself a lot of time and effort put forth into this company. Lots of luck in finding people who will actually pay $3000 for a dating membership when other online dating sites can offer a LOT more for a whole lot less money.

Don't be fake. Attempt to be real. Stop treating women over the age of 50 differently from younger prospects. Don't let your greed be more important than ethics. Honor people's wishes not to be called again. It makes you look really really pathetic, desperate and needy. Needy as in money.

Jun 9, 2014Human Resources Director

We have had a positive and upbeat atmosphere at It’s just lunch for 23 years now and have found most clients love this about IJL. We match our clients based on numerous criteria, and have several ... More

What a JOKE!

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was fun talking to people about their love life, I was very interested in helping clients find true love.

Cons

New reps are given leads that are YEARS old, some as old as TEN YEARS! Required to call them repeatedly to try and get them to join. I was hung up on several times a day, cussed at b/c I left a v/m and their wife heard it and assumed he was looking for someone new. All around, the people at this company are FAKE! Sales Managers are all chipper and upbeat and sing-songy on training calls and when you talk to them one on one, they sound MEAN and unapproachable.

Don't be so fake. Give employees something to WORK with, not ten year old leads!

May 27, 2014Human Resources Director

We appreciate when employees post truthful reviews, whether positive or negative, we appreciate the truth, and in this case, we simply respect your right to post, even if not accurate. To clarify ... More

Pathetic sadness....

Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Hallandale, FL
    Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Hallandale, FL

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None, that I can think, maybe that you get to work from home?

Cons

Horrifyingly bad management, sad, really sad data base of "potential matches" So, basically, they are ripping people off for thousands of dollars when they really don't have a match for them. People are better off taking their chances at match.com or plenty of fish or even eharmony. An article recently posted to The Wall Street Journal stated that match.com has hit the 25 MILLION marker for active profiles. At least there they have some guys/gals to choose from. It's Just Lunch not so much. They are having their employees call leads from two, three even four years ago. Trying to pressure them into joining. Glorified telemarketing rip off and that is for the client. The employees make 140-175 phone calls a day trying to get people to pay a few thousand dollars to join. Now, that is a a lot of no;s and hang ups. If you don't care about making 150 calls a day, reading from a script and getting hung up on. Then you will be fine.

Look at the way you run your business. From training that was a total joke, they were trying to train 30 people at one time. It is completely inconceivable that they can train (virtually) that many people and get a true read on each individual. For a company that considers themselves so personal...There is NOTHING less personal than their ridiculous training. The way you treat your employees and your clients will come back around to bite you on the butt. That is way it works it;s called KARMA!!!!!

May 27, 2014Human Resources Director

We realize that not everyone who is hired turns out to be a good fit and that it is not necessarily a poor reflection on them or the company, it was just not a good fit; but this can lead to some ... More

It's Just Lunch - Sales Trainer

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Trainer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Trainer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing co-workers, great management staff, flexible schedule, opportunities to work from home, lots of growth opportunity, competitive salary

Cons

If you are not self motivated and driven or a person that requires constant supervision and/or micro-management this is may not be a good fit for you.

Continue to grow this wonderful team of people

LOVE my job - SO much opportunity in a fun enviroment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive management, fun atmosphere, team environment, motivating and ongoing training, continued development, opportunity to be financially successful, fun contests and incentives, no day is the same. Management takes serious time to develop their employees and help them to grow within the company and sharpen their skills. I LOVE talking to clients and hearing their feedback, success stories are coming in on a regular basis - I enjoy developing relationships and trust with clients and co-workers in an emotional business. Ultimately, the best part is changing lives for the better!

Cons

Dating is an emotional thing, so tough conversations with clients will happen. BUT, sometimes those tough and honest conversations are what help us follow up with the perfect match moving forward. Further, if you want to be successful you need to put in the time and the work. You can't be 75% committed to your role, you have to be all in to be successful.

Continued training and development for all employees.

Misleading

Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home if you choose.

Cons

Management asks employees to write positive reviews for this site. Management and trainers totally mislead about position and how much money you will make. It's a joke 10 year old leads unhappy clients. 1% of dating specialist will make a living wage. Lets not forget massive firings every few weeks. Company has been around 22 years yet employees with top seniority have 3 years in. Wonder why?

Stop hiring and firing!

May 9, 2014Human Resources Director

Hi Pressure and lie to customers

Former Employee - Matchmaker
    Former Employee - Matchmaker

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of one reason why I would recommend a person to work here.

Cons

They have a script that you read to customers. The man and woman you talk about are ideal and the person you are talking to thinks that is the type of people you have for them to date. The truth is you lie,lie lie, to customers. It is all about making money. That's it. The people that work there are not trained matchmakers. They are hired off of the street and trained only on how to read the script and sell to the customer. The data base is small, thus the reviews on being matched with people they don't want to date. They sign up ANYONE who has the money. I had to quit because I felt taking money from these people so I could make a living was immoral. They call up people that have a lot of money and upsell them a "deluxe" membership and then go thru old expired members or current ones and send them on dates. There are no special events - total total scam. Disgusting

You should close this scam.

May 27, 2014Human Resources Director

We appreciate reviews, whether positive or negative and welcome the feedback, but would like to correct a few misstatements.Our Dating Specialists have produced over 2,000,000 first dates and ... More

This company runs a total scam!

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can work from home if you choose

Cons

It's Just Lunch does not deliver what it promises to their clients. They only match people according to age and location. New inside sales reps are given leads ten year old leads to call and more often than not the phone numbers no longer belong to those leads or the people are married. They continue to call people on a monthly basis that asked to be put on the "do not call list". This is basically a telemarketing job where you have to lie to get sales. Run for your life!

May 9, 2014Human Resources Director

At It's Just Lunch, we promise our clients a minimum number of matches that lead to dates. We match our clients based on numerous criteria including religion, ethnicity, kids, hobbies, interests and ... More

It's Just Lunch Photos

We are passionate and enthusiastic about our company and concept!

+ Add Photo