Iteris

Iteris CEO, President, Assistant Secretary, and Director Abbas Mohaddes

Abbas Mohaddes

Image Processing Engineer

Image Processing Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Ana, CA

Pros1. Get to work on pure vision problems.
    2. Freedom to create own algorithms
    3. Very good manager who is understanding

Cons1. Bonus and salary is not comparable to similar companies.
    2. Average age of employees is high. If you are hoping to find a vibrant and enthusiastic environment, you are going to be disappointed.

Lack of trust! Lack of communication! Lack of direction! Lack of Collaboration!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsMost of the people are friendly to work with. They want the best for the company and have the desire to work in a team. Unfortunately, the desire and ability to do so gets clogged by senior management. Great technical projects... expertise is cutting edge, particularly in weather and ITS. Smart, smart people! Too bad the CEO and general culture doesn't encourage collaboration...

ConsGood luck making any changes... they have done things the same way and don't intend to listen or accept new ideas. If you are not a senior employee, you have no clout, regardless of your efforts. Senior management seems to be appreciated while younger staff rarely receives a pat on the back and are not included in conversation or meetings that influence project direction and scope. CEO doesn't trust anyone to make their own decisions... he has to be involved in EVERYTHING... this lack of trust extends to everyone in the organization. There's a lack of mentorship - to be mentored and to provide it to others. The culture doesn't emphasize team work or success in its people. Its a job, not a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet younger staff involved! Work on training, teamwork and mentorship. Acknowledge people with more than just "associate of the quarter" which just causes smirking among peers. Hire a new CEO with a positive direction and PASSION for people and success in others. Who knows where this company could go!

Top-Down Management, CEO Micromanages

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFellow employees are great at all locations, for the most part enjoyable working with knowledgeable staff (except VPs, who are numerous and not held to same standards as rest of employees). Staff has strong technical engineering abilities.

ConsCEO and VPs do not follow same "rules" as rest of company and everyone knows it. Wages and bonuses are not consistent, little room for advancement unless you are a male engineer. Several "dinosaurs" who do not produce work yet are highly paid because they are CEO "pets". CEO micromanages all work and does not engage with any employees other than a few in California. If conflict arises, VPs and CEO avoid or hide it rather than addressing the issues and moving on. Employees feel disenfranchised and disengaged due to lack of respect and communications from CEO and his team.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO needs to go away. New vision is needed, beyond just accumulating cash. Better incentives for retaining employees other than counter-offering salaries AFTER employee decides to leave. Layoffs in recent years have reduced staff to skeleton size and it shows in project management and lack of on-time, quality deliverables. This is NOT the way to run a decent company, get a clue.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent firm but could do better

Transportation Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsGreat people (engineering and support staff). Extremely friendly and helpful. Decent work.

ConsNo proper training to the junior staff in Project Management. Everything has to be self-driven, nothing from the top management. Extreme micro-management. This makes a lot of staff feel very uncomfortable. Super tight budgeted projects, no proper visioning. Salaries are ok, but there are no bonuses at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease involve the junior and mid level staff in some decision making. Have proper training tools for project management. Involve the staff in more team building and community related activities. Lastly, but the main point - please stop micro managing your staff. This will literally take the company down.

It's ok but not great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood co-workers. Good work life balance.

ConsThere tends to be too much micromanagement from the top down.

Big management and salary problem

(Current Employee) Grand Forks, ND

ProsWork/life balance is good.
    As long as the work gets done, hours are pretty flexible.
    There are some good benefits (i.e. computer purchase assistance, tuition assistance)

ConsSalary is not at all competitive. Iteris wants as much work as it can squeeze out of its workers for as little pay as they can possibly give. For this reason, keeping actual talent and experience is a big problem; especially in the Grand Forks office. Iteris likes to brag about all the cash it has in reserve during its quarterly reports so it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    Communication among Iteris management is miserable. Left hand never knows what the right hand is doing.
    A lot of employees have "Vice President" in their title which makes company organization appear incredibly cluttered, inefficient and lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary of workers (not management or one of your many Vice Presidents) needs vast improvement. Stop trying to meddle in everything; especially the things that already work well.

Good place to work, great people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Forks, ND

ProsThe people at Iteris are great to work with, and the weather and traffic problems are interesting. I like the freedom to innovate in solving problems and the ability to influence the direction of projects. As an open source shop I enjoy the dev environment.

ConsCorporate sometimes gets in the way too much, and some of the corp. IT systems like time cards are too old.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware of market salaries.

Meh!

Software Developer (Current Employee) Grand Forks, ND

ProsCoworkers are good to be around. Casual environment and very flexible.

ConsCEO has the tendency to let go about 5% of the force every year. Pay is not competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and pay them accordingly.

It's exciting to be a part of a growing company and industry. Iteris has helped me grow in my career.

ProsMy accomplishments are acknowledged. I'm given more opportunities to grow as the company grows. Employees are GREAT to work with - team dynamic. Company goals are communicated effectively.

ConsCut back on holiday time in December was a huge disappointment and a benefit that we have participated in for years. Its seems there is a disconnect between Sr. Management and our CEO at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should connect with employees more.

Would not recommend working here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsDecent pay and benefits. Non-managers seem content.

ConsAutocracy: Senior staff micromanages, and/or manages by creating conflict - ie. gives two people the same project without telling either one. Enjoys openly degrading staff in meetings; not open to new ideas or suggestions. Decisions vary depending on mood. We would know layoffs were coming because he would promise "no more layoffs" , then lay people off the following week.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right people; focus on running the company, and let people do their jobs.

Worked for Iteris? Contribute to the Community!