Itron

Itron Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Philip Mezey

Great product. Unique culture. Still Made n USA

I have been working at Itron full-time

ProsMy experience at Itron was positive. There is no perfect company of course so anyone who doesn't find good in a company is looking for the perfect company. Itron has great technology, they have worked hard to keep things "Made in the USA" when most other smart grid companies have shipped things to China or Mexico where it's been proven the quality and reliability of smart metering is significantly less. If you have a Itron meter it's quality. Like most companies they were hit with downturn in sales due to many factors beyond their control. Overall when things were rolling and sales up, my time there was great. Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance.

ConsBecause it's a mid sized company and sales are not predictable things do feel unstable when sales are down. Also cross training and development of other experience an you are hired for isn't easy to get. I think there is a lot of talent there that should be developed more.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a robust University recruiting program to help fill the difficult to find engineering talent that is needed. If you do that then also support the managers with resources to train the new grads. This will pay of 10 fold as there is a lack of available talent for the complex technical needs Itron has. After doing this change your compensation system to allow out of cycle raises to these engineers. You don't want to invest in new grads, train them on your dime only then to lose them to other companies when they offer them a 20-30% increase 3 yrs later. Technical talent goes up in value rapidly so small 1-5% raises won't work. You will lose this talent quickly if you don't keep their salaries inline with the market. Final suggestion is to formally cross train other employees so they stay challenged and gain more experience. In doing this you will profit from employees who have a broader scope of expertise and in turn that employee will want to stay with e company.

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Itron as a contractor for more than a year

ProsPleasant work environment.
Very friendly people.

ConsLuck of direction and support

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategic focus

Integrated, Tested and Repaired Power meter with Smart module integrated into them (cellular Phone modules).

Machine Operator/Integration Technician/RMA Technician (Former Employee)
Flowood, MS

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAt the time it was a company with large growth potential.

ConsWe were bought out by Itron Inc to discontinue our product that was there completion.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a lot of other product we had going for us besides the Smart Meter Module. Like the Grid Router and the DCX ((Direct Connect eXternal) box that could be connected to lots of product besides the power meter, like water meters gas meters etc...

Itron lacked training classes that were necessary

Undisclosed (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Itron full-time for less than a year

ProsTeam of very friendly people

ConsTraining skills from professional to day to day were really lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry job sharing as a beginning for training

Used to be great, now struggling

Senior Technical Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPleasant work environment, great people, little politics.
Comparatively large number of enthusiastic employees with initiative in lower ranks.
Promotion policies are good up to middle management.

ConsCompany is currently undergoing crisis for a lack of strategic focus. Trying to "me-too" with competitors instead of assembling talent to tackle Smart Grid proactively.

Senior management is mostly male and white, tired, lacks original thinking, indecisive, depressing for troops. Does not "get" software, Seems more focused on satisfying stock analysts by laying off low-level staff than sticking to a strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out dead wood at HQ. Promote younger, more female managers into senior management, or hire an outsider or two.

Technical Consultant II (Former Employee)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than a year

Pros-- Good work culture
-- Well regarded in its industry

Cons-- Very poor managers
-- Very poor expense report policy
-- High prevalence of insider culture. Only a few people get the plum assignments
-- No support for innovative and critical thinking
-- As a company missing the boat on the big analytics market

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture. It might be a painful process to build better products but it will be worthwile

Good company, poor management

Technical Consultant II (Former Employee)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFantastic people to work with, company wants to help make an impact on the future.

ConsPoor management, HR that is not willing to clean house of their managers/directors despite many formal complaints. Not willing to pay employees what the market says they should.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on better managers and employee retention

Itron is a great company to work for

Business Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than a year

ProsTalented and Intelligent group of people who work well together.
Great employee benefits program
Great software product
Utilization rate for employees is great.

ConsPoor expense policy
Median pay as compared to other large companies

Advice to Senior ManagementReview expense policy as turning in receipts for every single expense is time consuming and not the best use of time for busy consultants.

Growing company, opportunities for advancement—excellent place to work.

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork/life balance
Multinational company
Solid technology recognized as industry-leading

ConsMany departments are fast-paced. This is not the place for you if you are interested in doing the exact same thing everyday.

Very Good

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron full-time for less than a year

ProsGood work culture with prospects of progress and chance of applying your knowledge to the practical applications. Overall very good company

ConsLow Salary and slow pace of development with lot of product redundancies and lack of technical know how to work in fast pace environment. Poor customer support

Advice to Senior ManagementPay some more

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Itron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Itron CEO Philip Mezey . All 60 reviews posted anonymously by Itron employees.