Itron
www.itron.com Liberty Lake, WA 5000+ Employees

Itron Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Philip Mezey

Pros:
  • "Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "India (Energy) business being deliberately killed"
    in 4 reviews
  • "If I missed an expense, it was out of my pocket"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Technical Consultant II (Former Employee)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than a year

Pros-- Good work culture
-- Well regarded in its industry

Cons-- Very poor managers
-- Very poor expense report policy
-- High prevalence of insider culture. Only a few people get the plum assignments
-- No support for innovative and critical thinking
-- As a company missing the boat on the big analytics market

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture. It might be a painful process to build better products but it will be worthwile

take this with a pinch of salt

I have been working at Itron

ProsFew have been lucky to be teamed up with good mentors and been rewarded for their efforts. This is good platform to familiarize with very good technology. Relatively lesser stress. Good place to start , provided you are ready to take it slow.

ConsTerrible resource management, you assign tasks to a person by his skills not what's left over after everything else is taken by people who worked there forever.Hoarding knowledge is pretty popular..leaves one wondering if knowledge decreases when you share....! You need to be in so many good books for your efforts to be noticed

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to trust your employees for what they are.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Restructure, restructure, restructure, etc...

I worked at Itron

Proscompany has good pay and benefits

ConsCompany has been undergoing a restructuring for over 3 years, sales team under sells their product and networks, pm team does not understand concept of pm principles , advancement within is limited

Laying off Good Employees!

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work atmosphere on the floor, poor performance in Human Resource deptartment, and upper management is more concerned about their bonuses than the well being of our family of employees. Load up on sales and production to meet quota's for end of year bonus, then all these lay offs?

ConsThe most recent layoff was based on tenure....so if you do a great job, you lose your job, because you haven't worked there longer than someone else who is just an average employer. Also, why not prevent lay offs by doing drug tests in the entire company. If there is nothing to hide, why won't they do that??

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your middle management and focus on your family of employees.The business before Itron took over was a wonderful atmosphere.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Watch out for the politics

I worked at Itron

ProsFlexibilty to deal with family needs

ConsToo many incompetent political cronies in management. Lots of playing favorites with promotions and opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in middle management

Could be good, but management is awefull

I worked at Itron

ProsMultinational firm, Extended business, good value

ConsWork as a small company...

The job is not hard if you have solid background

I worked at Itron

ProsPeople are friendly when you are working there. Of course, it will change after you leave.

ConsThere are a lot of people occupied senior positions but doing nothing. So promotion will be very slow.

Advice to Senior Managementreduce the number of management team.

Good exposure to the corporate world for new employees, bad for retention and growth.

Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Itron

ProsItron has been around a long time, and has weathered a variety of hardships. The company itself is stable, though job stability can vary between groups. In the IT organization, job stability is fairly solid these days. The company is undoubtedly successful, and many of the groups within Itron function beautifully.

ConsThere is practically no advancement potential within Itron IT. The IT groups went through a reorganization which worked beautifully on paper. In actuality, the organization is in the worst state ever. The bulk of the central IT team is inexperienced, or have mediocre skillsets. Advancement is based on where you work, not what you know, and promotions are inconsistent. A Technical Support Analyst II can easily know substantially more than a Technical Support Analyst III, but the organization will refuse to recognize the superior knowledge, based on where they work. IT project management is a horrible joke. Projects are left unfinished or incomplete, and some systems most companies consider critical, are mismanaged and/or changed yearly (the IT ticketing system, for example).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a couple people in your corporate headquarters that are really good. The rest are mediocre. Start looking outside of the Spokane area for talent, and take a more distributed, silo-style approach to IT. You consistently task under-qualified (and sometimes incompetent) people with critical tasks, then ignore them when they fail miserably, and don't take the necessary steps to fix them. You have, at the time of this writing, IT staff members in locations outside of the Spokane area that are more skilled and competent than almost anyone within your Spokane group. Tasks that take a Spokane employee a month could be finished by a different employee in a day or two.

In a related point, stop under-staffing. You can either hire people that actually know what they're doing (or maybe even use those on your payroll that already do), or you can hire piles of mediocre people. Either way, your workload vs. employee balance is horribly off, and the entire company suffers for it.

You must be careful about Itron International

I have been working at Itron

ProsBefore Actaris acquisition, Itron was an extraordinary Company, respect and honesty towards the employees were the cause of motivation and innovation.

ConsSince Itron Inc. gave the full control to Actaris, betrayal and blows twisted between employees become something normal. Consequently no motivation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe situation in the International become out of control, It is time that people from Itron Inc., which not come from Actaris, take over control to rectify this situation.

Itron is a paycheck, but doesn't provide much more than that.

West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron

ProsIt's a job with a steady income. I have many friends at Itron and I enjoy their company, and they are part of the only reason why I have not yet moved on. Benefits appear to be good but its hard to compare now-a-days.

ConsLack of future growth. Under compensated. They claim that they can't compare with other companies less than 30 miles away. Expectations are generally higher than can be acheived in a year's time and managment usually sets very vague goals and little management to see them through.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to wake up and start sharing the wealth with your entire work staff.

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Itron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Itron CEO Philip Mezey . All 60 reviews posted anonymously by Itron employees.