Itron Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

2.5

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 5 reviews)

• Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • India (Energy) business being deliberately killed (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great changes taking place

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There has been a lot of change in management lately, but I think it's very much for the better. A lot of people were in roles that they were grandfathered into due to tenture, but had no business or aptitude for that kind of role. The new management is looking at things with a clean pair of eyes, and initiating good changes. I'm very excited about the future.

Cons

Corporate communication regarding changes and direction is kind of slow coming. Also, there are so many layers of management, it's hard to navigate sometimes.

Keep the changes exciting and fresh. Everyone working here has been craving changes and inspiration for a long time.

Good Smart ppl love this job

Current Employee - Intern IV  in  Waseca, MN
    Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN

I have been working at Itron full-time for less than a year

Pros

good people, heavy community involvement, smart people, give scholarships and believes highly in education

Cons

honestly if i was gonna say anything they could use more eye candy walking around

This is a wonderful company that sees the benefit of being fresh and on the game

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Engineer in Jackson, MS

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is doing what it needs to do to stay very close to the international market, and anticipating their needs.

Cons

The company is a transition and some of the better employees are not being utilized.

A corporation is a living entity that thrives on its employees; allow the corporation to grow in quality and learn quality is not the bottom line.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great product. Unique culture. Still Made n USA

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

My experience at Itron was positive. There is no perfect company of course so anyone who doesn't find good in a company is looking for the perfect company. Itron has great technology, they have worked hard to keep things "Made in the USA" when most other smart grid companies have shipped things to China or Mexico where it's been proven the quality and reliability of smart metering is significantly less. If you have a Itron meter it's quality. Like most companies they were hit with downturn in sales due to many factors beyond their control. Overall when things were rolling and sales up, my time there was great. Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance.

Cons

Because it's a mid sized company and sales are not predictable things do feel unstable when sales are down. Also cross training and development of other experience an you are hired for isn't easy to get. I think there is a lot of talent there that should be developed more.

Invest in a robust University recruiting program to help fill the difficult to find engineering talent that is needed. If you do that then also support the managers with resources to train the new grads. This will pay of 10 fold as there is a lack of available talent for the complex technical needs Itron has. After doing this change your compensation system to allow out of cycle raises to these engineers. You don't want to invest in new grads, train them on your dime only then to lose them to other companies when they offer them a 20-30% increase 3 yrs later. Technical talent goes up in value rapidly so small 1-5% raises won't work. You will lose this talent quickly if you don't keep their salaries inline with the market. Final suggestion is to formally cross train other employees so they stay challenged and gain more experience. In doing this you will profit from employees who have a broader scope of expertise and in turn that employee will want to stay with e company.

Growing company, opportunities for advancement—excellent place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Liberty Lake, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work/life balance
    Multinational company
    Solid technology recognized as industry-leading

Cons

Many departments are fast-paced. This is not the place for you if you are interested in doing the exact same thing everyday.

Great Company

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working hard to find new revenue streams. New focus on developing employees. Company is trying to change its culture for better work/life balance.

Cons

Liberty Lake office is corporate HQ. That is a difficult office to get to from everywhere in the country. A centralized office would be better for meeting space.

Overall Positive Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Union, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron

Pros

The people here are very approachable, helpful, and competent. There is a lot of room for advancement, both upwards and sideways into other fields. The compensation and benefits package is on par with most other companies, and there are plenty of little perks to make it even better. There is plenty of work to be done, and a good mix of challenging problems to solve.

Cons

The investment community doesn't seem to understand the costs of making a good product. Itron doesn't outsource our R&D and production, which results in a fantastic product that happens to cost a bit more. Investors see this traditionally good way of doing business as a negative thing, which hurts the stock prices. They love us when things are good, but hate us when the least thing goes wrong. Decreasing stock prices result in losing good people and business, as well as stock option benefits. It's a great place to work, but it's sad to see such positive efforts going unnoticed by the rest of the world!

It has been a very challenging, very positive experience.

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Itron

Pros

The tasks are intellectually stimulating. Management assigns projects and deadlines, and it is up to the individual to complete the task. There is very little oversight, unless poor performance dictates it.

Cons

Itron could do a better job of trainging. May of the jobs are sink or swim. If you learn fast then you will be fine at the company.

Currenrlt management is performing an outstanding job. There is plenty of work, and hopefully this trend will contine into the future.

Internship everything one could hope for.

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  City of Spokane Valley, WA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in City of Spokane Valley, WA

I worked at Itron

Pros

Open co-workers ready to mentor and interact/discuss with you.
    Gave me multiple opportunities to learn and grow.
    Very friendly manager and events for employees make me feel appreciated.
    Excellent work environment.

Cons

Cons may depend on your own personal career needs.
    For many this may be the ideal job. I am unsure how many design engineers are employed at this location but I believe those who are enjoy their work

Thank you so much for the experience.

I was a product manager.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very bright team, solid technology, really nice people.

Cons

I found the Oakland office to be very quiet and frankly kind of boring.

None.

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!