Itron Reviews

Reset
2.9
Itron President & CEO Philip Mezey
Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management in itron are all 60 y (in 8 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

1. Frustrating

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer II in Waseca, MN
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer II in Waseca, MN

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Comfortable work environment is very clean and lots of nice people. Management is usually too tied up in meetings to bother you much.

Cons

Top Management is trying to lead from overseas. Waseca management is in complete disarray. Lack of resources everywhere. Low moral, no profit sharing, no bonuses.

Advice to Management

Time to open the pocketbook! Pay your employees what they are worth!

2. Worst management, ever

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sumaré, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sumaré, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Technical opportunities, decent paycheck.

Cons

Worst management, lazy HR, don´t follow their own policies .

Advice to Management

I worked there for almost 4 years and I had the worst manager ever. Even though several people complains about his attitude and bad care of employees, HR did nothing. Only after the situation got catastrophic, they moved to make some changes but it was way late and nothing could be done to save an entire R&D department.

Great company, on the way down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global manufacturing and software company -- lots of different experiences !

Cons

Execution has been patchy the last five years, with stock dropping like a rock.

Advice to Management

Get the right management approach towards your people.

Disappointed

Current Employee - Operator in West Union, SC
    Current Employee - Operator in West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paycheck and good coworkers is only thing to look forward to. If you like waiting on your leaders and supervisors because they come in after the shift starts and don't even know what their workers are doing that day then this is a great environment.

Cons

Everything from HR to temp workers. Idiots hiring idiots. Management have no idea how to do any of the jobs they are managing. They are basically taking up space. Itron gives managment jobs to people who suck up or are basically tattle tails. They treat workers like elementary students. They hide behind buggies and walls to and I quote "bust people". They even tell you when you can use the restroom. If you're not in their click you don't get treated fairly. They hire family regardless of how stupid or lazy they are. If your family member or you are any kind of intelligent they feel threatened and will go to extremes to knock you down.

Advice to Management

Start evaluating everyone on knowledge and skills and stop being scared of your workers. Follow rules and policies for EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING not just the ones that fit your attitude towards someone or something.

Good place to work.

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Good people. Enjoyable work atmosphere.

Cons

Questionable leadership. No clear direction or long term goals.

Advice to Management

Develop and communicate clear direction. "We all have to do better" is not clear direction.

You DON"T want to work here.

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck., free coffee and clueless management.

Cons

Incompetent management at all levels. ZERO training. No direction. You're suppose to guess what your boss wants. Company is going downhill fast, check out the financials. Since the big government giveaway was over, the market for utility meters has saturated and Itron has no advantage over the competition.

Advice to Management

Look for another job, you're going to need one soon.

8. Principal Design Engineer

Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Itron (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment and great co-workers.

Cons

Itron competes in a competitive market sector, which seems to translate into cost cutting measures when earnings are not as expected.

9. Best Company so far

Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't emphasis this enough, the skills of my colleagues are unprecedented. I've been a consultant at many companies since the start of my career (around 15) and hands down I've never worked with people with such a high skill level. From the high level creativity and ideas to the very low level coding skills it's just amazing. I really love everything about this company. I've never felt at home at any company I've worked at, I've always felt like an outsider and moved on to the next one after my consulting tasks were done. I could see myself staying here a long time. Don't get me wrong it's not all yes men, if someone thinks your idea is wrong they will argue with you until you are blue in the face. You really have to think things out and make sure your idea is the best. It's an amazing opportunity and I feel privileged every day I come to work.

Cons

I can't really see any cons. I've heard from others who used to work here that they did not always like the intense design sessions but for me I absolutely love them and think by the act of collaborative argumentation we always end up at a much better design\idea than any individual person could come up with on their own.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direction you are currently (8/5/2015). I've been here about three years and I've only seen things get better and better. Management seems to listen to us grunt workers and get better all them time. I've really never been able to see a company listen and improve as much as Itron. It's a really fun thing to watch from inside.

Poor business model and weak management

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Itron offers a decent paycheck and a clean working environment

Cons

Itron has the worst business model among all companies I worked for. Your colleagues (read competitors) review your performance at the end of the year and managers have zero knowledge of the work. Colleagues have to give you a poor review to be safe from a possible layoff and layoffs happen a lot. To make their strategy more effective, some employees have formed support groups and they give "outsiders" a poor performance review and sometimes even annoy them to leave on their own. So you see some long tenure employees and newcomers dont last long.

Advice to Management

You already perfectly know what is wrong and you are not willing to fix it.

11. Consultant

I worked at Itron full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and Friendly People

Cons

Needs a better training process.

RSS Feed </> Embed