Itron Reviews

Reset
2.0
Itron President & CEO Philip Mezey
Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management in itron are all 60 y (in 8 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

Great company, on the way down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global manufacturing and software company -- lots of different experiences !

Cons

Execution has been patchy the last five years, with stock dropping like a rock.

Advice to Management

Get the right management approach towards your people.

Poor business model and weak management

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Itron offers a decent paycheck and a clean working environment

Cons

Itron has the worst business model among all companies I worked for. Your colleagues (read competitors) review your performance at the end of the year and managers have zero knowledge of the work. Colleagues have to give you a poor review to be safe from a possible layoff and layoffs happen a lot. To make their strategy more effective, some employees have formed support groups and they give "outsiders" a poor performance review and sometimes even annoy them to leave on their own. So you see some long tenure employees and newcomers dont last long.

Advice to Management

You already perfectly know what is wrong and you are not willing to fix it.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Diversified business; international opportunities, freedom to manage projects

Cons

Big company that struggles with managing outside of the "small company" paradigm.

You will not have a life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has good benefits and the vacation policy is really good on how quick you can increase your weeks off. Its a clean environment to work and they keep the temperature comfortable in summer and winter. Pay is really good but, see below.

Cons

You are either working your life away on overtime or at the least little hiccup in orders wondering who will get terminated and if you do slip by, you will then have your butt worked off having the job duties of those that are gone added to your duties. Your manager will add his annual goals to yours instead of doing his own and you having your own? Makes no sense. If you get a manager that will respond to your emails, treat you with respect, and help make your job more efficient then you should thank your lucky stars .

Advice to Management

Not everyone is cut out to be a leader. Have your middle management reviewed by their subordinates each year which will allow upper managers to see who needs work on their people skills. Lead by example is a good one to live by. Have meetings in all groups within a focus factory (not just some)and asked those what is needed from them to make your job easier which in turn makes the company more money by all being more efficient. Just because its the way its always been done does not make it the best way. You hire smart people but will not listen or even try to listen. Ask and listen then as the Nike commercial says " Just Do It".

6. Could not recommend this place to anyone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly laid back, relaxed about time keeping and the work is very interesting

Cons

Completely inept management - all buzz words and no decisions Very poor rates of pay Hard work is not recognised or rewarded Promises are not kept Failure to adapt to changing market

Advice to Management

Walk the walk as well as talking the talk. We keep being told that "our staff are our most valuable resource" - so how come you let them walk over to our competitors? You need to reward your teams, or they'll leave. And by teams, I mean the people who actually do the work - not the middle managers who take the credit.

review

Pros

Nice facility, competitive pay, ICs are knowledgable.

Cons

Lack of leadership, no training, management lacks skills.

Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

friendly atmosphere, good people, nice work environment

Cons

Too much politics, bad management

Itron used to be my passion - I loved to come to work every day. But recent decisions have made it now just a job.

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Itron is a job with a steady income. I have lots of friends at Itron and they are part of the reason why I have not left. For the area, the salary is OK, but don't expect any major salary increases.

Cons

There is a major lack of future growth here; I feel like I am stuck in the same position without the ability to spread my wings. Benefits used to be top notch, but recently they are are covering less and less.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees; don't rely on external sources to tell you how your business is running. While the stock price is important, don't let it dictate every decision.

Used to be a great company that lead others into the industry and cared about their employees.

Former Employee - Engineering and Development Area
    Former Employee - Engineering and Development Area

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, and time off were all pretty nice. The work/family balance was great. Having the ability to work from home when needed (sick child, school program, etc.) was a plus. Most of the managers (with one specific exception) during my tenure were great people that knew how to manage and genuinely wanted you to succeed. They would NOT make you feel defensive and nitpick everything you did.

Cons

Upper management seems to have lost their way. No clear strategic focus. Inability to make a decision and stick with it. Put very little time and research into a new areas and technologies, then decide to buy their way into it, then after a few years decide they should just build it on their own (already 2 years behind the curve and trying to play catchup). Not very cutting edge. Their lack of focus has cost them a LOT of valuable employees. Some from attrition (jumping off a sinking ship) and a lot more from layoffs that shouldn't have needed to happen. Every year we would hear the same thing from upper management. The first 6 months of the year are going to be tough, but things will pick up in the 2nd half of the year. How many years can you say that before you realize it has become a cliche?

Advice to Management

Try to focus on a direction you want to go and stick with it. Don't follow the current technology because it has already passed you by. You used to set the direction that others attempted to attached their sails to. Now you have no sail and no rudder. Stop hiring the "Bob's" to make your layoff decisions for you. Take the responsibility yourself.

Company Culture is changing and no longer values the employees

Current Employee - Software Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance in most departments depending upon your manager There is free coffee and tea (if that is what you like) They provide 401K matching and benefits You get a paycheck and some industry experience The organization is well known The organization encourages community involvement Some of the people are nice to work with and very intelligent

Cons

Working a lot of long hours for extended periods of time has become the norm and not the exception There is no additional training provide for career improvement or advancement There is no leadership training Employees are not valued - especially if you are a foreigner or minority There is high turn over in the Raleigh office and executive management was very frank and told people to leave if they are not happy and offshoring will continue No career advancement No training provided for career advancement and you may not get adequate training or resources to do your job

Advice to Management

Leadership skills should be improved Just because a person is technically inclined and good at their job, does not mean they are good managers

RSS Feed </> Embed