Itron Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Itron is a good company to work for if you are willing to put work into your job.

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Good benefits, very open and friendly environment.

Cons

The location I work at is pretty rural, moving up requires consistent above average work.

Worked for company 12+ years. Good old days are gone...

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Office culture is laid-back, slow paced, and allows a flexible schedule. Telecommuting is available in most cases depending on the direct supervisor. A lot of employees have been there for more than 10 years

Cons

Compensation is below average for the position with very little perks. Morale is very low due to continued lay-offs for the past 2 years.

Advice to Management

It seems like the bigger contracts for Smart Meters and AMI projects are no longer out there. Perhaps the company can reinvent itself, and/or expand product line.

A technology company to be concerned about

Current Employee - Manufacturing Operations and Procurement in West Union, SC
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Operations and Procurement in West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people and working atmosphere. Excellent benefits package. Excellent technology in the utilities sector. Global organization.

Cons

Advancement is arbitrary and subjective. Organization is overly top heavy with executive management and current management seems to lack a consistent vision and direction by their actions. Various organizational units are compartmentalized with a top down approach which increases bureaucracy and flexibility.

Advice to Management

Develop autonomous business units with all necessary resources to get the job done. Let them sink or swim on their own merits rather than creating a mass upheaval of the entire organization when action must be taken. Unlike G.E. or other large corporations, Itron would be unable to divest of entire business units due to the nature of their structure.

Itron used to be my passion - I loved to come to work every day. But recent decisions have made it now just a job.

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Itron is a job with a steady income. I have lots of friends at Itron and they are part of the reason why I have not left. For the area, the salary is OK, but don't expect any major salary increases.

Cons

There is a major lack of future growth here; I feel like I am stuck in the same position without the ability to spread my wings. Benefits used to be top notch, but recently they are are covering less and less.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees; don't rely on external sources to tell you how your business is running. While the stock price is important, don't let it dictate every decision.

6. I had a great experience working with this company, but there are a lot of layoffs of temps and a couple of full timers.

Former Employee - Senior Production Assembler in Waseca, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Production Assembler in Waseca, MN

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Co-workers are great, become like a family.
    -Pay isn't bad considering you don't need a GED or HS diploma.
    -Great vacation. Get about 2 weeks off at the end of the year.
    -Relaxed environment.

Cons

-Lots of layoffs.
    -No room for advancement.
    -Cap on raises.
    -Reviews are done by co-workers, so raises are based on how well you are liked.

Used to be a great company that lead others into the industry and cared about their employees.

Former Employee - Engineering and Development Area
    Former Employee - Engineering and Development Area

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, and time off were all pretty nice. The work/family balance was great. Having the ability to work from home when needed (sick child, school program, etc.) was a plus. Most of the managers (with one specific exception) during my tenure were great people that knew how to manage and genuinely wanted you to succeed. They would NOT make you feel defensive and nitpick everything you did.

Cons

Upper management seems to have lost their way. No clear strategic focus. Inability to make a decision and stick with it. Put very little time and research into a new areas and technologies, then decide to buy their way into it, then after a few years decide they should just build it on their own (already 2 years behind the curve and trying to play catchup). Not very cutting edge.

Their lack of focus has cost them a LOT of valuable employees. Some from attrition (jumping off a sinking ship) and a lot more from layoffs that shouldn't have needed to happen.

Every year we would hear the same thing from upper management. The first 6 months of the year are going to be tough, but things will pick up in the 2nd half of the year. How many years can you say that before you realize it has become a cliche?

Advice to Management

Try to focus on a direction you want to go and stick with it. Don't follow the current technology because it has already passed you by. You used to set the direction that others attempted to attached their sails to. Now you have no sail and no rudder. Stop hiring the "Bob's" to make your layoff decisions for you. Take the responsibility yourself.

Going down hill, and fast.

Current Employee - Engineer in Liberty Lake, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Liberty Lake, WA

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The fellow people that I get to work with. Relaxed environment, depending on manager, i.e. ability to work from home.

Cons

Pay is way below industry standard. No training. Advancement is difficult. Environment and morale slipping daily. Employees not valued. Little organization and planning in project that it's become a bit of a mess. CEO makes 90 times the average employee and HR still cannot get to a point where they pay people at an industry standard. When layoffs do occur, talented individuals are laid off while many incompetent employees remain. Almost seems that one needs to screw up in order to be promoted. There are constant re-organization efforts and many employees shift around from manager to manager.

Advice to Management

Need some serious overhaul of management, and communication needs much improvement. There are too many bottle necks which result in 10% of the people working 60+ hours a week while others wait for that work to be done. Resources need to be better understood and utilized.

9. Great job out of college

Former Employee - Design Engineer in West Union, SC
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in West Union, SC

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, great environment, and a lot of learning on the job. I probably doubled my abilities as a c# developer every year.

Cons

At times the work could seem meaningless. Sometimes it seemed as though the existence of my job was so that utility companies could over charge for electricity.

Advice to Management

Establish pride and excitement of the product your selling. If you're marketing group says "it's green and helps the environment," maybe give everyone coffee cups with the company name and have a recycling bin available. Lastly, give honest feedback and more opportunities. Don't wait until the end of the year evaluations to say "you met expectations."

Industry Leader

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The industry is exciting to be part of.

Cons

Employees not appreciated by management..

11. Exciting company with a lot of opportunity

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Itron is an exciting company to be a part of. The utility industry is changing and evolving with more advanced technologies, which makes the work we do more interesting and exciting. There are many opportunities for growth within the company and the corporate culture is generally very positive. I like coming to work each day.

Cons

The company has struggled a bit in the past couple of years, which has led to some reorganization. However, the company outlook is very positive.

RSS Feed </> Embed