Itron

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 8 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Positive Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron

Pros

The people here are very approachable, helpful, and competent. There is a lot of room for advancement, both upwards and sideways into other fields. The compensation and benefits package is on par with most other companies, and there are plenty of little perks to make it even better. There is plenty of work to be done, and a good mix of challenging problems to solve.

Cons

The investment community doesn't seem to understand the costs of making a good product. Itron doesn't outsource our R&D and production, which results in a fantastic product that happens to cost a bit more. Investors see this traditionally good way of doing business as a negative thing, which hurts the stock prices. They love us when things are good, but hate us when the least thing goes wrong. Decreasing stock prices result in losing good people and business, as well as stock option benefits. It's a great place to work, but it's sad to see such positive efforts going unnoticed by the rest of the world!

It has been a very challenging, very positive experience.

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Itron

Pros

The tasks are intellectually stimulating. Management assigns projects and deadlines, and it is up to the individual to complete the task. There is very little oversight, unless poor performance dictates it.

Cons

Itron could do a better job of trainging. May of the jobs are sink or swim. If you learn fast then you will be fine at the company.

Currenrlt management is performing an outstanding job. There is plenty of work, and hopefully this trend will contine into the future.

Internship everything one could hope for.

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in City of Spokane Valley, WA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in City of Spokane Valley, WA

I worked at Itron

Pros

Open co-workers ready to mentor and interact/discuss with you.
    Gave me multiple opportunities to learn and grow.
    Very friendly manager and events for employees make me feel appreciated.
    Excellent work environment.

Cons

Cons may depend on your own personal career needs.
    For many this may be the ideal job. I am unsure how many design engineers are employed at this location but I believe those who are enjoy their work

Thank you so much for the experience.

In an interesting industry, Itron was a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Itron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The managers were receptive to feedback. Everyone's perspective was taken into account, if you make your perspective known. The position I held involved a lot of travel, and their travel policies were very accommodating as far as large field/consulting companies go.

Cons

I left when it looked like the federal government stimulus well was running dry. I can only make assumptions from that point on, but it looked like the impending belt-tightening was about to change the work culture a lot.

Some Issues, Overall Good Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

In the Raleigh office, it feels like most employees are concerned about their fellow workers and want to do things that help each other as well as the company be successful. Recently, I have seen an increase in employee group engagement between different departments in things like wellness/fitness activities, internal collaboration, and local civic engagement opportunities. Work hours for most departments are flexible and most managers in the company seem to be OK with flexible scheduling and allowing employees time to take care of personal issues. Most employees are focused on doing the best work they can within the constraints placed upon them by management. Benefits are reasonable. Work-life balance is usually good but sometimes other offices in the company are not respectful of time across different time zones when scheduling meetings and expecting work after normal hours. Overall, there is more good stuff going on than there is bad stuff. I don't think Itron is the best employer in town, but they are far from the worst.

Cons

On the technical side, the deadlines for product development and code release often seem arbitrary. They are driven by company executive mgmt and local office senior management with not enough regard for quality. This has bitten the company in the past and lessons have not been learned by all involved. I'll add that this is getting better in some cases, but there is still work to be done in others. Access to external training opportunities which would bolster career progression are limited. Customer contracts are often enacted based on vague and poorly worded goals only to later result in Itron being forced to agree to unreasonable customer demands or face 'penalties' during product deployments.

I seem to work for the only Itron office in the US that is not set up well for health and fitness in that there are no shower facilities available. That's a small gripe, but an important one in these days of employer focus on wellness. Benefits costs continue to rise yearly at a rate that has the employee share going up much faster than the increase in company share. Stock incentives have basically disappeared for all but a very select few employees.

Morale is not as good as it could be lately due to the overall condition of the industry. Coming off the highs of the govt stimulus spending a few years ago, the pace of sales seems slow today, but that is probably no different than any other company doing the same type of systems work as Itron. I see other reviewers commenting about racial slurs and other negative issues, but I have not experienced that type of thing in Raleigh. Maybe it's just a west coast problem.

I believe that management wants to do the right thing at Itron but it feels like decisions are made based on unrealistic market and customer pressures instead of consideration of reality. I hope to see a return to the quality-first focus that has been present in prior years. Recent changes in vacation policy were bad. I don't really care that Itron is now 'on par with other similar company policies' regarding vacation. I want to work for a company that strives to EXCEED the policies of other similar companies!

I was a product manager.

Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright team, solid technology, really nice people.

Cons

I found the Oakland office to be very quiet and frankly kind of boring.

None.

I loved working at Iron, I started with them when they very young and got to grow with then for 25 years.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I wore many "hats" during my working years at Itron. It was a great learning experience and opportunity for personal and professional growth. Itron felt like family in a way and I wanted to make sure I did everything to make the company successful. It was a struggle at times as we grew so quickly and with any high tech company change was the name of the game. Being flexible and willing to work long hard hours sometimes was a real challenge but well worth the growth and learning opportunities I was exposed to.

Cons

I was able to developed my many leadership skills. Itron always offered its employees very good benefits over the years.

Acquisitions were always a challenge as we grew. New management did not always understand what some employees did because it was so different from what they were used to. I think it is really important to try to spend a little more time in this area so they are better able to manage employees and processes.

Good employer that's facing market challenges

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Great people, reasonably challenging work

Cons

Open up the top ranks to outsiders and new ideas

Gradually bringing new technologies to the industry.

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mature corporation, industry leader.
    Take proactive actions to reorg and improve efficiency.
    Nice people.

Cons

Still slow decision making.

It was a good career experience

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Itron as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Managers were approachable and are good career mentors. I have a flexible work hours.

Cons

Im a Canada based employee for a US Based company. There's no much room for growth for me.