Itron Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 7 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Many stay away of Itron and for good reason!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Competitive benefits and payment (although not more than competitors)

Cons

I worked or I am working in Human Resources at Itron (trying to keep anonymity).

1. Managers at Itron use HR employees as a shield all the time. Managers try to hide behind HR employees and use (or abuse) them in difficult situations. You will look bad in front of employees, colleagues, and even yourself. They make decisions on their own and blame it on HR most of the time!

2. As an HR employee, you have to deal with a lot of employee frictions in Itron offices. Use of slurs were reported but not often since I joined. However, derogatory comments, ridicule, offensive behavior, employee clashes, GRIT, and office frictions were reported VERY VERY OFTEN, 4 or 5 times more than my last employer. In majority of these cases, you have to cover-up for the employer and pretend everything is alright and nothing really happened.

3. Itron does not care much about employee comfort, employee morale, etc. To upper management, it is survival that maters.

4. It is difficult to recruit for Itron for senior positions. Offers are usually turned down and you look bad for not being able to hire.

5. Shady promotions are very common. You will see many employees who work hard (maybe even 60 hours a week) and they are stuck at the same spot for years, but some others with effective work of less than 15-20 hours a week get promotion after promotion.

6- A major problem of working for Itron is that you will get involved in a bunch of things that are not morally right just because your management wants you to do them. You will always have a feeling of guilt and will always have problems with your colleagues.

7- Some long-tenure employees have grown beyond control of managers with their circle of friends. Managers don't deal with them in fear of retaliation and have HR employees deal with them from time to time. Later, the managers cave and you will be retaliated against!

I think Itron needs more active management and regular visits of offices by upper management.

Used to be Itron until 2008, Now it is I-SLUR!

I worked at Itron full-time

Pros

Itron was a great place to work for until 2008.

Cons

Itron is a sad story. It used to be a great smart-grid company with talented people when I joined. However, many good employees left Itron and weak employees reached high positions in recent years. The upper management did a terrible job of letting super weak and non-working employees reach high positions and now it is too late. These employees didn't work, didn't let others work, and didn't even let us hire strong candidates for open positions! They wanted to fill all positions with weak candidates (mostly their friends!?) that were not a threat to them. All they did was talk and talk and I never saw them work during the years! If you get a management position, you have to put up with the weak non-working employees that they let you hire!

To be successful in current Itron, you should NOT work hard because current employees will gang up against you and do anything they can to make you leave. The majority of the performance reviews are based on relations not your actual work and the harder you work, the worse they get. Simply, "Itron will not evaluate you based on the work you do". You will only be promoted If you are friends with the gang in the office. It is all politics that matters not work. I believe the upper management is aware of the situation but they have more critical financial issues to worry about currently.

I used to work for Itron a while back before they revoked my visa and I had to go back to India. During the more recent years I heard many derogatory comments about me and my country and heard lots of slurs at Itron. It became a common pattern that I wouldn't even notice it anymore until they revoked my visa and did not give me time to find another job. They did it on purpose!

I do not recommend Itron to non-residents, smart young professionals, hard-working people, minorities, and junior employees.

I recommend Itron to friends of the current weak employees that are leading in Itron.

Find the big-talk no-work employees and lay them off. Hire some strong qualified employees for high positions and management positions.

Slur-Alert! Slur-Alert!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

If you are good at lobbying and have good communication skills you don't need to work much at Itron. You will be evaluated based on other factors not how much work you have done! All I can say is working hard gets you nowhere at Itron so just try to connect with the right people internally to succeed!

Cons

Itron has hired many state government lay-offs over the years many of whom were laid off because of behavior issues. Needless to say that you will hear racial slurs, will be discriminated against, and your work will be sabotaged on daily basis in Itron. Such incidences are so common that HR considers them as non-fixable! So all you can do is to avoid troubling employees or to leave the company.

The HR employees and managers pretend they do not hear these slurs because they know they cant fire more than 50% of the employees! At the same time, You cant blame the HR because control of the situation is already out of their hands and they rather dont open the can of worms.

Instead of covering-up the office mess, try to correct it.

Needs a strong CEO to clean it up or it will go broke soon

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

1. If you can join one of the cults in the company, not much work and easy paycheck.
    2. Depending on your office you may run into good friendly colleagues too.

Cons

1. Because of weak upper management in Itron, some senior employees have literally formed cults inside Itron offices. These cults run Itron offices and to be successful at Itron, you should forget about the managers and join one of these cults from the first day. Its almost like prison philosophy. The cult leaders are much stronger than the managers in the office so be careful not to step on their toes. Most managers are actually like cheerleaders in Itron and are not involved in the work. If you cant join a cult, they will not let you be successful and they are VERY strong. Even the managers dont mess with them. They can easily do anything they want from misleading you, to giving you false negative reviews, etc.

2. A major drawback of working at Itron is that if you stay for a long time, you will have trouble finding your next job in the energy industry. There are many pissed-off ex-Itron-employees in the energy industry that will not let you get a job at their company.

3. Itron is formed from many different departments that are not working well together. In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security. They have some smart people there and the rest of Itron is just slacking. If I were the CEO, I would keep software and get rid of the rest.

4. Competitors have thrown Itron to the sidelines. Although they blame it on tough competition and bad market, the lack of success is mostly because of poor internal management. The management does not care much about employees or even Itron's success. To simplify, Itron is poorly managed and poorly managed companies are destined to fail.

5. I see previous reviews have complained about slurs at workplace, but my experience in Itron is that it really depends on your office. There are some offices in Itron known for that stuff and you only have to avoid people from those offices. Having said that, Itron belongs to a rare breed of red-neck renewable companies and it is definitely not a good place for minorities.

Use strong military-type managers to clean up the company from cults.

Good place for seniors and retired folks, not a good place for minorities!

Current Employee - Energy Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Energy Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy paycheck while government still contracts this company. That may not last long though as the government cut back on many projects.

Cons

The company is a government contractor and the main work is generating long, boring, and useless reports for the state government. Lack of efficiency and too many senior employees who do not actively take part in the job cause writing reports to take much longer than expected which is a huge waste of government money. These reports do not have much value but you get your paycheck and you can be happy with it. The easy paycheck however comes with a package of rude and offensive colleague behavior. You can expect to hear a long of interesting "words" from the seniors at Itron.

Things were good at Itron until 2011 but I think in recent years the government noticed lack of value and cut back on many of the projects so Itron started struggling with losses. Many of my hard-working and efficient colleagues started leaving in recent years.

Itron has many bits and pieces that are not working well together and the CEO does not even know that some of these bits exist! The CEO only manages the company stock and couldnt care less about the body of the company. You will receive 2 emails a year form the CEO who does not know where his email goes!

They should consider rebuilding the company and shut down the offices that are not attached to the rest of the company. They should hire young professional active managers to improve the quality of work. They should push senior employees to actively take part in the work.

Not the right place for professionals

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much. The paycheck was not bad. Good place for retired folks who want to spend time and get paid until the end of their career.

Cons

This company has a bad reputation in the renewable industry so if you want to stay in renewable industry in the future, you may reconsider.
    Expect to be ignored at expositions and conferences when you show up at Itron booth. I used to work with them a while years ago and after that, i had to convince people at interviews that I was not associated with them and just worked there for a while. If you stayed there for a short period and you are planning to stay in the renewable business, I recommend removing Itron from your resume. They will not tell you but will look the other way when they see that name.

Consider reconstructing the management and use stronger and more active managers.

The consulting department is just horrible

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Office furniture and equipment are good and the office environment is clean which is typical for consulting firms but nothing other than that is a pro.

Cons

Disrespectful seniors
    No training for the job
    Slurs at the workplace
    Losing market-share
    Limited to very specific projects which are dissapearing as the state of California is changing its incentive policy
    Lousy managers that only seek time to pass time and get paid

Consider having an HR employee in the office to monitor the office environment

Itron is a bizarre company in Raleigh - the red headed step-child

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Itron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Decent pay.

Cons

Office is in not the best neighborhood - they hire a security guard to watch the parking lot during winter months when people leave in the dark. Also, despite promises otherwise to build Raleigh, have laid off, terminated, failed to renew, or have resign a good number of engineers in firmware and test.

Do not let Occonnee be the center of the universe. Bring more to Raleigh.

a wonderful place to get regular paycheck and do something else you like

Current Employee - RD Manager in West Union, SC
    Current Employee - RD Manager in West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

no real work to do at all , no pressure, everyone can work as an engineer or manager even if you know nothing. noboady cares what you do , so you have plenty of time shopping on ebay, trading stocks or watching youtube. You basically get paid for doing nothing and having your own fun in you cubicle...that's amazing...

Cons

ridiculously low pay, huge lay offs now and then, if you r not good at kissing the right ass, you dead..
    management people are related and all family members, husband promotes his wife, wife promotes her brother, the brother hires his wife... good engineers and hard workers are disposal and treated like trash by them and get laid off easily.
    one star is tooooooooooo much for this company...

how come you don't hire your mom and dad, that's unfair, if your brother can be the manager, your parents could be the CEO!!!

Itron - San Mateo - needs improvement for software management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Itron full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Itron is a gas, electric, water metering company moving into new cellular smart grid metering solutions. Itron stock investment for the long term (not short term) is improving as they are expected to have several years of increased business as utilities invest in cellular products that Itron parent company and its Cellular Solutions (San Mateo) now sell since its recent acquisition of Smartsynch cellular. Embedded cellular design and development is where the action and growth is inside Itron, there is demand for embedded engineers. I joined into a lower level position from an enterprise architect position from a former large company with the hope to work on cellular solutions and move into embedded solutions. Embedded cellular design and programming is a strong area opportunity with Itron Cellular Solutions (San Mateo). Management in non-software engineering are very good and the executive staff has a genuine leadership style.

Cons

Itron Cellular Solutions (San Mateo) is not the best place to work if you're interested in leading edge software development for Java engineers or Java architects; as the company already has heavy software investment in .NET energy management solutions that are mature energy components. Job ads may identify Java architects, but since I have 10+ years in architecture they failed to ask my skills in Java architecture, it appears to be just a label. The singular leading edge cellular software component the company has is handled by a very very small team and unlikely to add resources as system integration with the parent company has swallowed up those opportunities. Recent new engineering management has joined which has recently brought in issues such as micro management, lack of facilitative leadership, poor communication feedback loops, no pair programming resulting in poor team work execution, lack of real trust between management and software engineers, lack of appreciation. Some people are treated especially well if from Sonim Technologies.

Imperative to instill effective professional two-way communication and team work, instill pair programming to spread the knowledge of core systems; instill solid facilitative leadership in technical areas to ensure effective team communication; instill best practices to reduce the recent 30% software engineer resignation; eradicate micro management practices.