Itron

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 7 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

a wonderful place to get regular paycheck and do something else you like

Current Employee - RD Manager in West Union, SC
    Current Employee - RD Manager in West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

no real work to do at all , no pressure, everyone can work as an engineer or manager even if you know nothing. noboady cares what you do , so you have plenty of time shopping on ebay, trading stocks or watching youtube. You basically get paid for doing nothing and having your own fun in you cubicle...that's amazing...

Cons

ridiculously low pay, huge lay offs now and then, if you r not good at kissing the right ass, you dead..
    management people are related and all family members, husband promotes his wife, wife promotes her brother, the brother hires his wife... good engineers and hard workers are disposal and treated like trash by them and get laid off easily.
    one star is tooooooooooo much for this company...

how come you don't hire your mom and dad, that's unfair, if your brother can be the manager, your parents could be the CEO!!!

Itron - San Mateo - needs improvement for software management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Itron full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Itron is a gas, electric, water metering company moving into new cellular smart grid metering solutions. Itron stock investment for the long term (not short term) is improving as they are expected to have several years of increased business as utilities invest in cellular products that Itron parent company and its Cellular Solutions (San Mateo) now sell since its recent acquisition of Smartsynch cellular. Embedded cellular design and development is where the action and growth is inside Itron, there is demand for embedded engineers. I joined into a lower level position from an enterprise architect position from a former large company with the hope to work on cellular solutions and move into embedded solutions. Embedded cellular design and programming is a strong area opportunity with Itron Cellular Solutions (San Mateo). Management in non-software engineering are very good and the executive staff has a genuine leadership style.

Cons

Itron Cellular Solutions (San Mateo) is not the best place to work if you're interested in leading edge software development for Java engineers or Java architects; as the company already has heavy software investment in .NET energy management solutions that are mature energy components. Job ads may identify Java architects, but since I have 10+ years in architecture they failed to ask my skills in Java architecture, it appears to be just a label. The singular leading edge cellular software component the company has is handled by a very very small team and unlikely to add resources as system integration with the parent company has swallowed up those opportunities. Recent new engineering management has joined which has recently brought in issues such as micro management, lack of facilitative leadership, poor communication feedback loops, no pair programming resulting in poor team work execution, lack of real trust between management and software engineers, lack of appreciation. Some people are treated especially well if from Sonim Technologies.

Imperative to instill effective professional two-way communication and team work, instill pair programming to spread the knowledge of core systems; instill solid facilitative leadership in technical areas to ensure effective team communication; instill best practices to reduce the recent 30% software engineer resignation; eradicate micro management practices.

An unpleasant environment

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Colleagues are pleasant. They pull together and can be supportive

Cons

A very political place to work. Very demanding.

You have many good dedicated people at Itron. You should appreciate them.

Tough to get things done

Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Jackson, MS

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

small setting, friendly people. flexible hours

Cons

hard to change the culture

think outside the box

Provincial company that grew fast and cannot handle itself!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Depending on your position and how active you are, you will get involved in a lot of projects and can learn a lot. As poorly as it is managed, sometimes good results come out of it too.

Cons

Itron suffers from unorganized management. Managers at Itron are not concerned with doing things right and usually pick the easiest way to do things setting a terrible model for other employees in the office and ruining employee morale. If the manager doesn't care why should I? To make matters worse, half of the employees are managers of their own. You cant ask another employee to help you with a project. They will get pissed and trouble starts there!
    Don't be surprised if your colleague who works 10 hours a week and is friends with the manager shows up with 55h/week average hourly work at the end of the year! Don't even bother to report it because as provincial as Itron is, friendship is stronger than work ethics and you will get into trouble.
    I see that other reviews have complained about slurs. I haven't heard them and I am not a minority but I am not surprised. I have seen a lot of tension and hate comments when a minority employee gets promoted. In my opinion, it is their own fault. I don't see why a minority or foreigner should join Itron when there are many other diverse companies in the US.
    Itron doesn't care about employees AT ALL. Everybody is complaining about the workplace and company only changes its CFO. That's a great sign that nobody cares, so be quiet or leave!

Monitor managers very closely. They are not following the protocols. Nobody doesn't report in fear of retaliation.

Promotions are racially biased

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Good place for a software engineer to jump-start career and get some experience

Cons

I come from India and I immediately figured I cant stay long because I would be stuck at the same spot. Performance reviews and promotions are racially biased. The software development group is not even the worst group. I have heard the consulting group is much worse. We were told to avoid them from the first week. Fortunately, as a software engineer, you don't have to interact with them.
    In general, Itron is poorly managed and nobody in management takes responsibility when things go wrong. This may or may not affect you depending on the circumstances.

I don't know why a software company should produce meters or have a consulting firm.

Lost Cause

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly, warm people. My supervisor is great.

Cons

Big pay inequities, poor company performance means little to no annual bonus or merit payout. No career plan. No coaching or mentoring. There would not be time anyway, since you are to busy doing your current job.

It takes the whole company to be a successfully one, not just a select few.

Large Corporate company losing site of their employee morale and happiness to make stockholders richer.

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Pay, Benefits - though slowly declining.
    Some flexibility offered, some telecommuting though not consistent with this offering even within the same teams.

Cons

Has fully taken on the DO MORE WITH LESS mentality. Just because revenue was inflated 1-2 years from GOV funding, we shouldn't act like a starving company with our 2+billion in revenue.

Lose employees though they never replace. Just give people more work load. Management doesn't fight for their teams or get job duties out of their department that belong somewhere else. Sometimes feels like mid management is just fluffing their stats to look good to upper mgmt.

Lost 1 personal holiday this year - No accrued sick leave program, no performance raises or delayed - why strive for high marks on annual review with no benefit?

Little communication or leadership from management.

No team building activities or morale boosting events.

Way too many jobs duties assigned to each employee to ever be able to do efficient and effectively. Constant feeling of failure because you can never keep up, even for the best employees. You just know mgmt wants you to work 60+ hours per week.

NO Training department. Customers have little or no way to get training on products. Major Itron Gap where customers pay price. (This could bring in a lot of revenue.)

Training for new employees is horrible. Felt like I was dropped in the middle of the ocean for the first year to just "figure out how to get to shore."

Work here if you want to sit in a corporate cubicle (your bubble) with no fun, excitement, or coworker morale.

Stop promoting people to mgmt just because they have been here for 20 years, many of them should NEVER be in that position. Find leaders, not managers.

Big dreams, poor reality

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Itron is a multinational company, with a lot of knowledge and experience. It has a very long history in the metering business and in supplying the connected business solutions.

Cons

The current strategy is unclear, head count reduction can not be a long term strategy.

Make a clear strategy and make everybody to follow it.

Fun while it lasted-Roller Coaster every two years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people (peers) are great. When the times are good, the job is fun.

Cons

Every two years there is a layoff so they can "gracefully" eliminate people. It is always called a "restructure". Executive management cannot lead by example, since they spend and tell everyone else to cutback. Ask them how many fly coach overseas on a company bought ticket...

Figure out what you want you wan to do when you grow up. Ask what Leroy would do! (Previous Chairman of Board)