Itron

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
2.6

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 8 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the right place for professionals

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much. The paycheck was not bad. Good place for retired folks who want to spend time and get paid until the end of their career.

Cons

This company has a bad reputation in the renewable industry so if you want to stay in renewable industry in the future, you may reconsider.
    Expect to be ignored at expositions and conferences when you show up at Itron booth. I used to work with them a while years ago and after that, i had to convince people at interviews that I was not associated with them and just worked there for a while. If you stayed there for a short period and you are planning to stay in the renewable business, I recommend removing Itron from your resume. They will not tell you but will look the other way when they see that name.

Consider reconstructing the management and use stronger and more active managers.

The consulting department is just horrible

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Office furniture and equipment are good and the office environment is clean which is typical for consulting firms but nothing other than that is a pro.

Cons

Disrespectful seniors
    No training for the job
    Slurs at the workplace
    Losing market-share
    Limited to very specific projects which are dissapearing as the state of California is changing its incentive policy
    Lousy managers that only seek time to pass time and get paid

Consider having an HR employee in the office to monitor the office environment

a wonderful place to get regular paycheck and do something else you like

Current Employee - RD Manager in West Union, SC
    Current Employee - RD Manager in West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

no real work to do at all , no pressure, everyone can work as an engineer or manager even if you know nothing. noboady cares what you do , so you have plenty of time shopping on ebay, trading stocks or watching youtube. You basically get paid for doing nothing and having your own fun in you cubicle...that's amazing...

Cons

ridiculously low pay, huge lay offs now and then, if you r not good at kissing the right ass, you dead..
    management people are related and all family members, husband promotes his wife, wife promotes her brother, the brother hires his wife... good engineers and hard workers are disposal and treated like trash by them and get laid off easily.
    one star is tooooooooooo much for this company...

how come you don't hire your mom and dad, that's unfair, if your brother can be the manager, your parents could be the CEO!!!

Itron - San Mateo - needs improvement for software management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Itron full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Itron is a gas, electric, water metering company moving into new cellular smart grid metering solutions. Itron stock investment for the long term (not short term) is improving as they are expected to have several years of increased business as utilities invest in cellular products that Itron parent company and its Cellular Solutions (San Mateo) now sell since its recent acquisition of Smartsynch cellular. Embedded cellular design and development is where the action and growth is inside Itron, there is demand for embedded engineers. I joined into a lower level position from an enterprise architect position from a former large company with the hope to work on cellular solutions and move into embedded solutions. Embedded cellular design and programming is a strong area opportunity with Itron Cellular Solutions (San Mateo). Management in non-software engineering are very good and the executive staff has a genuine leadership style.

Cons

Itron Cellular Solutions (San Mateo) is not the best place to work if you're interested in leading edge software development for Java engineers or Java architects; as the company already has heavy software investment in .NET energy management solutions that are mature energy components. Job ads may identify Java architects, but since I have 10+ years in architecture they failed to ask my skills in Java architecture, it appears to be just a label. The singular leading edge cellular software component the company has is handled by a very very small team and unlikely to add resources as system integration with the parent company has swallowed up those opportunities. Recent new engineering management has joined which has recently brought in issues such as micro management, lack of facilitative leadership, poor communication feedback loops, no pair programming resulting in poor team work execution, lack of real trust between management and software engineers, lack of appreciation. Some people are treated especially well if from Sonim Technologies.

Imperative to instill effective professional two-way communication and team work, instill pair programming to spread the knowledge of core systems; instill solid facilitative leadership in technical areas to ensure effective team communication; instill best practices to reduce the recent 30% software engineer resignation; eradicate micro management practices.

An unpleasant environment

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Colleagues are pleasant. They pull together and can be supportive

Cons

A very political place to work. Very demanding.

You have many good dedicated people at Itron. You should appreciate them.

Company Culture is changing and no longer values the employees

Current Employee - Software Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance in most departments depending upon your manager
    There is free coffee and tea (if that is what you like)
    They provide 401K matching and benefits
    You get a paycheck and some industry experience
    The organization is well known
    The organization encourages community involvement
    Some of the people are nice to work with and very intelligent

Cons

Working a lot of long hours for extended periods of time has become the norm and not the exception
    There is no additional training provide for career improvement or advancement
    There is no leadership training
    Employees are not valued - especially if you are a foreigner or minority
    There is high turn over in the Raleigh office and executive management was very frank and told people to leave if they are not happy and offshoring will continue
    No career advancement
    No training provided for career advancement and you may not get adequate training or resources to do your job

Leadership skills should be improved
    Just because a person is technically inclined and good at their job, does not mean they are good managers

Tough to get things done

Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Jackson, MS

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

small setting, friendly people. flexible hours

Cons

hard to change the culture

think outside the box

Provincial company that grew fast and cannot handle itself!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Depending on your position and how active you are, you will get involved in a lot of projects and can learn a lot. As poorly as it is managed, sometimes good results come out of it too.

Cons

Itron suffers from unorganized management. Managers at Itron are not concerned with doing things right and usually pick the easiest way to do things setting a terrible model for other employees in the office and ruining employee morale. If the manager doesn't care why should I? To make matters worse, half of the employees are managers of their own. You cant ask another employee to help you with a project. They will get pissed and trouble starts there!
    Don't be surprised if your colleague who works 10 hours a week and is friends with the manager shows up with 55h/week average hourly work at the end of the year! Don't even bother to report it because as provincial as Itron is, friendship is stronger than work ethics and you will get into trouble.
    I see that other reviews have complained about slurs. I haven't heard them and I am not a minority but I am not surprised. I have seen a lot of tension and hate comments when a minority employee gets promoted. In my opinion, it is their own fault. I don't see why a minority or foreigner should join Itron when there are many other diverse companies in the US.
    Itron doesn't care about employees AT ALL. Everybody is complaining about the workplace and company only changes its CFO. That's a great sign that nobody cares, so be quiet or leave!

Monitor managers very closely. They are not following the protocols. Nobody doesn't report in fear of retaliation.

Promotions are racially biased

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Good place for a software engineer to jump-start career and get some experience

Cons

I come from India and I immediately figured I cant stay long because I would be stuck at the same spot. Performance reviews and promotions are racially biased. The software development group is not even the worst group. I have heard the consulting group is much worse. We were told to avoid them from the first week. Fortunately, as a software engineer, you don't have to interact with them.
    In general, Itron is poorly managed and nobody in management takes responsibility when things go wrong. This may or may not affect you depending on the circumstances.

I don't know why a software company should produce meters or have a consulting firm.

Lost Cause

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly, warm people. My supervisor is great.

Cons

Big pay inequities, poor company performance means little to no annual bonus or merit payout. No career plan. No coaching or mentoring. There would not be time anyway, since you are to busy doing your current job.

It takes the whole company to be a successfully one, not just a select few.