Ivy Tech Community College

Add Photos

Thomas Snyder

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Adjunct

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsIvy Tech is a great institution!

ConsAdjunct pay "is what it is."

Great Part Time Job

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsI enjoyed teaching adults. It is added bonus that the other adjuncts are very supportive. Each semester there I had the chance to participate in the professional development sessions that the school offers the adjunct faculty! Also had the opportunity do complete the Quality Matters training course that is the first qualification of teaching online for Ivy Tech.

ConsIf you are looking for steading income, this is not the place. You have to request to teach courses every semester and you are not guarantee the classes you signed up for.

Poor overall management

Information Technology (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe health, dental, vacation and other benefits are outstanding. They treat the professors very well. Pay was average for Indiana.

ConsVery poor upper management. They have no sense of direction and for the most part treat all non-faculty personnel as a dime a dozen. Very difficult to believe anything that comes from IT management as they have lied repeatedly to us over the past few years. Central office never works with students or faculty yet they don't listen to the people who do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake to time to actually listen to the people working for you and stop being so arrogant.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Work to Life Balance and Benefits

Indianapolis, IN

ProsIvy Tech has an awesome work to life balance. With generous amounts of paid time off, nice 401k contribution and educational opportunities for full time employees. The team I work for and with are great.

ConsPay is below average unless you are in the top management, raises aren't based on merit for the majority of staff. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for advancement, the college is going through some restructuring challenges. Change only comes from the "top" down.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the college mission is "changing lives" and 99% of your workforce are underpaid, and receiving less than a 3 or 4% raises yearly and told we need to "tighten our belts". Then we read an article in the Indy Star that our president receives a $60,000 bonus and the executive management team receives 20% raises yearly, it's a tad disheartening and provokes a negative atmosphere.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great experience!

Library Assistant (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsOpportunities for advancement, great supervisors

Consneeds better pay in the library

Great department to work for, people really care about students!

Academic Advisor (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat supervisor that knows about keeping a team working together. Everyone really cares about students!

ConsSome Saturday work once a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood work

I have enjoyed working at Ivy Tech Community College. It has a disciplined and well-organized work atmosphere and ethic.

Teacher/Instructor of Mathematics (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsIt is like serving the public and those who need support.

ConsAs a community college, there are some issues of student attendance and that needs special attention.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe need to make sure that the students are using the money of the tax-payer properly. It looks that it becoming a source of income for people who do not want to work.

Overall good, great place to help students complete their educational goals.

Library Assistant (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsPeople are easygoing and often very flexible

ConsHard to get a full time position

Excellent Higher Ed IT Department

Indianapolis, IN

ProsWith only ~70 people in the centralized IT organization, employees get to work on numerous projects of high importance to the college at a whole. With over 830,000 active users, you get to work on systems at a scale rarely seen in the State of Indiana.

ConsDespite the larger number of students, the College lacks the financial resources of the state universities. Lack of available funds can delay the ability to complete some projects at a given speed.

Little respect for adjunct faculty

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe variety of students in your classes seems to be extensive which I found a plus!

ConsThere seems to be less and less full time faculty and more adjunct faculty. Adjunct faculty are definitely treated with less importance - even when we are teaching the same students. Little training is provided.

Worked for Ivy Tech Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ivy Tech Community College reviews and ratings in Indianapolis, IN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ivy Tech Community College CEO Thomas Snyder. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Ivy Tech Community College employees.