Ivy Tech Community College Reviews

Thomas Snyder

1. Adjunct Professor

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Preparing students for College Math.

Cons

Students weren't prepared for College Math

Advice to Management

Be sure that the students are ready for college math.

2. Adjuncts taken for granted

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to teach in a subject you love. As an adjunct, you are outside of most of the politics. Compensation is good, but very low if you take into consideration that you will probably be driving to several campuses. Most of the students (especially the returning adults) are working hard to improve their lives and appreciate good teaching.

Cons

The pointless activities increase every semester. In addition to teaching and grades, you have to attend seminars, take online training, submit student progress reports, and enter attendance. Driving (especially in winter) cuts into how much you earn per hour. The rules change constantly about how many classes you can teach.

Advice to Management

Adjuncts are the life blood of Ivy Tech. They do the grunt work. Figure out what you are willing to offer and what you want to demand and stick with it. Assign classes the semester before rather than a couple weeks out for returning adjuncts.

Adjunct Faculty Issues

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College

Pros

The school and many of its staff are great people to work with. Students who are motivated make the job worthwhile. The ability to take classes at the school free of charge for adjuncts was a great benefit.

Cons

Once the ACA came on board, the number of allowable "Contact Hours" were reduced to no more than 9. In some cases, that means only one class per semester. They do not pay by credit hour, but by contact hour which are listed as more and hence, reduce compensation or the ability to pick up more classes. Because of this, often if an adjunct wants to teach the single class (Such as is available in Math or Science classes where the credit hours are 4 but the contact hours are 5), we have to decide if we want to work full-time somewhere else or 2 part time jobs. I left because taking a full time job would have interfered with the one class I would have gotten from the college.

Students are often rude and have the feeling of entitlement. I had numerous students who had, quite obviously, been passed in classes that they would fail elsewhere argue that I had to give them an A. My department head rarely actually backed me up which was not helpful when a student is failing but filing complaints because they felt the work was too hard. Despite my holding office hours and being available without compensation to help them at any time. The students did not come to those times for assistance before complaining.

Adjuncts are overworked and grossly underpaid. Full time positions are rarely offered to adjuncts, instead they often go to outside applicants.

If one teaches an online course, the faculty member's hands are basically tied and the students do not understand that we have little to no say in the course content. The same goes for remedial courses. These are designed by someone at a higher level. Instructors have no say in what is taught. In essence, we're treated like high school teachers following a state curriculum.

Many of the management were more business men over educators.

Advice to Management

Value your adjuncts, consider them for full time positions first
    Allow adjuncts some freedom in how to teach
    Compensate adjunct faculty for their time better, including office hours
    Allow adjuncts the ability to pick up more than one to two classes per semester.
    Raise the level of expectation from students and allow the instructors to fairly gauge their student's success. When students complain the work is too hard, don't tell the instructor that they need to do everything possible to pass a student who is not performing to the college level.

Adjunct teaching was the most rewarding experiences of my carrier. Few opportunities, however, to do it full-time.

Former Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was no training. I had to bring my own expertise from business and personal experience to the classroom. It translated well and I was effective in helping students reach their academic and professional goals.

Cons

As an Adjunct, I worked as hard for years as a full-time teacher, for half the salary and less than half of the opportunities to acquire a full-time position.

Advice to Management

Just as teachers can acquire tenure after a certain number of years on staff, Adjuncts should be considered for full-time opportunities after a certain number of years on staff too.

6. Great Place to work Management is very laid back.

Former Employee - Campus Safety Officer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Campus Safety Officer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Alright Pay, Good Benefits, Free College, and great opportunity to interact with the students.

Cons

Low pay, favoritisms, no real chance for promotions.

Advice to Management

Promote people with the best credentials and experience rather than your golfing buddies (sic).

7. Ivy Tech

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are great benefits including vacation

Cons

low salaries, no raises, limited promotions

8. Adjunct

Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Ivy Tech is a great institution!

Cons

Adjunct pay "is what it is."

9. Great Part Time Job

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed teaching adults. It is added bonus that the other adjuncts are very supportive. Each semester there I had the chance to participate in the professional development sessions that the school offers the adjunct faculty! Also had the opportunity do complete the Quality Matters training course that is the first qualification of teaching online for Ivy Tech.

Cons

If you are looking for steading income, this is not the place. You have to request to teach courses every semester and you are not guarantee the classes you signed up for.

Poor overall management

Former Employee - Information Technology in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health, dental, vacation and other benefits are outstanding. They treat the professors very well. Pay was average for Indiana.

Cons

Very poor upper management. They have no sense of direction and for the most part treat all non-faculty personnel as a dime a dozen. Very difficult to believe anything that comes from IT management as they have lied repeatedly to us over the past few years. Central office never works with students or faculty yet they don't listen to the people who do.

Advice to Management

Take to time to actually listen to the people working for you and stop being so arrogant.

Great Work to Life Balance and Benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ivy Tech has an awesome work to life balance. With generous amounts of paid time off, nice 401k contribution and educational opportunities for full time employees. The team I work for and with are great.

Cons

Pay is below average unless you are in the top management, raises aren't based on merit for the majority of staff. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for advancement, the college is going through some restructuring challenges. Change only comes from the "top" down.

Advice to Management

When the college mission is "changing lives" and 99% of your workforce are underpaid, and receiving less than a 3 or 4% raises yearly and told we need to "tighten our belts". Then we read an article in the Indy Star that our president receives a $60,000 bonus and the executive management team receives 20% raises yearly, it's a tad disheartening and provokes a negative atmosphere.