Ivy Tech Community College

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
3.4

Thomas Snyder

Pros
  • Helping students to achieve goals of higher education (in 6 reviews)

• Alright Pay, Good Benefits, Free College, and great opportunity to interact with the students (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, favoritisms, no real chance for promotions (in 6 reviews)

• There seems to be less and less full time faculty and more adjunct faculty (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to work Management is very laid back.

Former Employee - Campus Safety Officer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Campus Safety Officer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Alright Pay, Good Benefits, Free College, and great opportunity to interact with the students.

Cons

Low pay, favoritisms, no real chance for promotions.

Promote people with the best credentials and experience rather than your golfing buddies (sic).

Ivy Tech

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are great benefits including vacation

Cons

low salaries, no raises, limited promotions

Adjunct

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Ivy Tech is a great institution!

Cons

Adjunct pay "is what it is."

Great Part Time Job

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed teaching adults. It is added bonus that the other adjuncts are very supportive. Each semester there I had the chance to participate in the professional development sessions that the school offers the adjunct faculty! Also had the opportunity do complete the Quality Matters training course that is the first qualification of teaching online for Ivy Tech.

Cons

If you are looking for steading income, this is not the place. You have to request to teach courses every semester and you are not guarantee the classes you signed up for.

Poor overall management

Former Employee - Information Technology in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health, dental, vacation and other benefits are outstanding. They treat the professors very well. Pay was average for Indiana.

Cons

Very poor upper management. They have no sense of direction and for the most part treat all non-faculty personnel as a dime a dozen. Very difficult to believe anything that comes from IT management as they have lied repeatedly to us over the past few years. Central office never works with students or faculty yet they don't listen to the people who do.

Take to time to actually listen to the people working for you and stop being so arrogant.

Great Work to Life Balance and Benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ivy Tech has an awesome work to life balance. With generous amounts of paid time off, nice 401k contribution and educational opportunities for full time employees. The team I work for and with are great.

Cons

Pay is below average unless you are in the top management, raises aren't based on merit for the majority of staff. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for advancement, the college is going through some restructuring challenges. Change only comes from the "top" down.

When the college mission is "changing lives" and 99% of your workforce are underpaid, and receiving less than a 3 or 4% raises yearly and told we need to "tighten our belts". Then we read an article in the Indy Star that our president receives a $60,000 bonus and the executive management team receives 20% raises yearly, it's a tad disheartening and provokes a negative atmosphere.

Great experience!

Former Employee - Library Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Library Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, great supervisors

Cons

needs better pay in the library

Great department to work for, people really care about students!

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great supervisor that knows about keeping a team working together. Everyone really cares about students!

Cons

Some Saturday work once a month.

Good work

I have enjoyed working at Ivy Tech Community College. It has a disciplined and well-organized work atmosphere and ethic.

Current Employee - Teacher/Instructor of Mathematics in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Teacher/Instructor of Mathematics in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is like serving the public and those who need support.

Cons

As a community college, there are some issues of student attendance and that needs special attention.

The need to make sure that the students are using the money of the tax-payer properly. It looks that it becoming a source of income for people who do not want to work.

Excellent Higher Ed IT Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

With only ~70 people in the centralized IT organization, employees get to work on numerous projects of high importance to the college at a whole. With over 830,000 active users, you get to work on systems at a scale rarely seen in the State of Indiana.

Cons

Despite the larger number of students, the College lacks the financial resources of the state universities. Lack of available funds can delay the ability to complete some projects at a given speed.