Ivy Tech Community College

Updated January 18, 2015
Updated January 18, 2015
3.4

Thomas Snyder

Pros
  • Helping students to achieve goals of higher education (in 6 reviews)

• Alright Pay, Good Benefits, Free College, and great opportunity to interact with the students (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, favoritisms, no real chance for promotions (in 6 reviews)

• There seems to be less and less full time faculty and more adjunct faculty (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

college professor

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College

Pros

i love teaching. I loved my students, they worded hard. I never lost one accounting student from my class.

Cons

Too much infighting with the staff.

I have worked part time for them since 1982.

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College

Pros

The people I work for are very nice and friendly.

Cons

Looking for fulltime position, and non available.

Keep up the good work.

Ivy Tech

Former Employee - Revenue Accounting Supervisor in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Revenue Accounting Supervisor in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees have Tuition assistance available

Cons

Yearly raises are very minimal

Disability Support Services

Current Employee - Disability Support Services Reader/Scribe in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Disability Support Services Reader/Scribe in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College

Pros

Great environment to work in, great people to work with

Cons

Poor compensation, upper level management does not understand disabled students.

Pay us more, do not micro-manage.

Adjunct Faculty Issues

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College

Pros

The school and many of its staff are great people to work with. Students who are motivated make the job worthwhile. The ability to take classes at the school free of charge for adjuncts was a great benefit.

Cons

Once the ACA came on board, the number of allowable "Contact Hours" were reduced to no more than 9. In some cases, that means only one class per semester. They do not pay by credit hour, but by contact hour which are listed as more and hence, reduce compensation or the ability to pick up more classes. Because of this, often if an adjunct wants to teach the single class (Such as is available in Math or Science classes where the credit hours are 4 but the contact hours are 5), we have to decide if we want to work full-time somewhere else or 2 part time jobs. I left because taking a full time job would have interfered with the one class I would have gotten from the college.

Students are often rude and have the feeling of entitlement. I had numerous students who had, quite obviously, been passed in classes that they would fail elsewhere argue that I had to give them an A. My department head rarely actually backed me up which was not helpful when a student is failing but filing complaints because they felt the work was too hard. Despite my holding office hours and being available without compensation to help them at any time. The students did not come to those times for assistance before complaining.

Adjuncts are overworked and grossly underpaid. Full time positions are rarely offered to adjuncts, instead they often go to outside applicants.

If one teaches an online course, the faculty member's hands are basically tied and the students do not understand that we have little to no say in the course content. The same goes for remedial courses. These are designed by someone at a higher level. Instructors have no say in what is taught. In essence, we're treated like high school teachers following a state curriculum.

Many of the management were more business men over educators.

Value your adjuncts, consider them for full time positions first
    Allow adjuncts some freedom in how to teach
    Compensate adjunct faculty for their time better, including office hours
    Allow adjuncts the ability to pick up more than one to two classes per semester.
    Raise the level of expectation from students and allow the instructors to fairly gauge their student's success. When students complain the work is too hard, don't tell the instructor that they need to do everything possible to pass a student who is not performing to the college level.

Very friendly people who want students to succeed

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Central, IN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Central, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Ivy Tech prides themselves on being student-focused and they are always coming up with ways to help students succeed. Always willing to change to make things better. Pay is OK once you get past a certain level. As an adjunct I was pretty much left alone to design my own curriculum and make teaching decisions and my department head backed me up on everything, which was nice. Lots of professional development opportunities if you are admin staff. The friendliest people I have ever worked with were at Ivy Tech.

Cons

Policies change all the time and it seems they don't give new policies time to work before they are on to the next, which may contradict it. Adjuncts are constantly piled on with more and more admin and reporting work with no additional pay. I did not encounter very many truly motivated students--lucky to get 2 in a class of 20+ and some classes had 0. Most students are doing work that would not get passing grades in regular college but we are encouraged to do whatever is necessary or required to pass as many as possible without totally compromising ourselves, because the goal is to get students to complete and graduate. Adjuncts work very hard to give students the attention and tools they need to progress but are paid very poorly with no chance for full-time unless you have a terminal degree--not very motivating for us. Professional development opportunities are not geared for teaching staff--mostly for administrative staff--and there are numerous required professional days, some before the pay period starts, for teaching staff that are not useful and are uncompensated.

Consider increasing adjunct pay based on number of years worked and not just whether they have a terminal degree. Add more professional development for adjuncts outside of the "professional day" and schedule a given program to occur more than once in a week. Add evening professional development for adjuncts as well. Carefully consider whether the new Ivy Advising program is worth all the extra work for adjunct instructors when there is little follow-up from the overburdened counseling staff (a typical flag response is "called student, asked them to see instructor").

Excellent

Former Employee - Culinary and Baking Instructor in Michigan City, IN
    Former Employee - Culinary and Baking Instructor in Michigan City, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College

Pros

I loved teaching my students

Cons

Teaching my students my experience

Adjunct teaching was the most rewarding experiences of my carrier. Few opportunities, however, to do it full-time.

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was no training. I had to bring my own expertise from business and personal experience to the classroom. It translated well and I was effective in helping students reach their academic and professional goals.

Cons

As an Adjunct, I worked as hard for years as a full-time teacher, for half the salary and less than half of the opportunities to acquire a full-time position.

Just as teachers can acquire tenure after a certain number of years on staff, Adjuncts should be considered for full-time opportunities after a certain number of years on staff too.

Greatest job you can't afford to have.

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College

Pros

Facility and courses are great. Working with students is very gratifying.

Cons

Adjuncts are restricted to a couple classes per semester so they do not reach full time status and qualify for benefits. Good luck making a living at this job.

Value your instructors.

Great staff working there.

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people working there. Very relaxed environment.

Cons

Low pay and very little opportunity. Only seem to get ahead if you are related to someone or know someone. Promotions have little to do with ability.

Promote more from with in.