Ivy Tech Community College

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Thomas Snyder

Pros:
  • "I really enjoyed the freedom to teach as I saw fit to great students"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Helping students to achieve goals of higher education"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Currently fewer classes than I'd like so salary is low -- a little more seniority may help"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Hard to get a full time position"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It has been a great opportunity and has opened many doors.

Student Worker-Center for Academic Excellence (Current Employee)
    Fort Wayne, IN

ProsHelping the students is rewarding, a lot of freedom to do help students you see best, the supervisors are easy to work with, easy to work around life situations, you get free classes every semester to take.

ConsAs a student worker no real opportunity to get a an actual part time employment, you get shuffled into different departments that you know nothing about, and no way to get a raise in pay.

IT Tech, Help Desk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDepartment was fun to work in,

ConsSlowly outsourcing the IT

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good company, poor communication

Security Officer (Current Employee)

ProsComing to Ivy Tech I was amazed at how friendly the employees were and the seemingly professional environment.

ConsWorkplace politics just like any other company I suppose. I was paid well for what I did. It's a kiss-up kick-down workplace. It may not be like this at every branch, but it sure was where I worked. There are power-struggles higher up, and some higher ups abuse their power.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to those on the ground floor. Sure you may have good ideas sometimes, but we're not mind-readers. Don't get angry at the lesser employees for getting something wrong when you didn't communicate yourself clearly.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Adjunct

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsIvy Tech is a great institution!

ConsAdjunct pay "is what it is."

Change is good...

Administrative Level (Former Employee)
    Gary, IN

ProsSince President Snyder came to the college in 2007, many changes have been implemented and streamlined. Some of the changes aren't great, but many of them are very necessary. The college has people that have been around for many years and have completely resisted the changes... but many of those people are leaving or gone now, and it's making room for forward thinkers. The college is run like a business now, which was quite necessary. Finally, a student can take a course at one campus and it is the same course (and transferrable) to another campus across the state. When I began working there, it wasn't the case at all. At that time, the college totally lacked consistency. Again, some of the changes aren't the best- for the most part, I applaud President Snyder for the direction he has taken the college in the last 7 years. Overall, it is now a far more professional place of employment and I would consider returning to the college FT (now that some of the people that needed to go are no longer there, and there is more professional leadership in place.) Local leadership has changed quite a bit in the last 2 years- and definitely for the better.

Conssalaries... some positions are overpaid, while many are underpaid. Historically, there have been a lot of slackers that were allowed to keep their jobs because of who they knew (mostly a local management issue) and there was a great deal of nepotism in hiring (again, at least locally). However, with all of the changes President Snyder has implemented- many of the slackers are going or gone, and new hiring practices for upper management (and all positions really) has eliminated much of the nepotism (also, changing local management has impacted these things as well). Unfortunately, I left before there were changes in local management (which may have made all the difference for me). At that time and due to that dynamic, there was no work-life balance for me; we were prevented from career growth and promotion and "leadership" was terrible. Under new local leadership, I believe those things are changing. You will hear some say differently and complain about the changes over the last several years, including the change in leadership... but those are the people that still need to go, honestly. They want to do things the same way they did 20 years ago... there are some that barely work at all and make 3x the money of their counterparts who do... and they are the folks that have made the environment hostile to work in in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job on cleaning up some of the upper level management finally. There are still some people that have been around too long and and kept their jobs based on who they knew, rather than on performance and qualifications. Those last remnants need to go too... they create a terrible environment for those that work hard and are dedicated to the institution. Promote your hard workers and compensate them better... get rid of the last of the dead weight.

Excellent opportunity to see growth in people; students, faculty and staff.

ProsGraduation day is the best day of the year. Seeing thousand of students walk across the stage to the next phase of their life.

ConsFinancial Aid is a difficult issue for all higher education institutions and Ivy Tech is no exception.

Great Part Time Job

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsI enjoyed teaching adults. It is added bonus that the other adjuncts are very supportive. Each semester there I had the chance to participate in the professional development sessions that the school offers the adjunct faculty! Also had the opportunity do complete the Quality Matters training course that is the first qualification of teaching online for Ivy Tech.

ConsIf you are looking for steading income, this is not the place. You have to request to teach courses every semester and you are not guarantee the classes you signed up for.

Great people, but leadership needs some improvement.

Director (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits. Flexible schedule. Helping the community.

ConsWork is not the best, which is expected with a higher education institution.

Very low pay, no pay during semester breaks.

Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee)
    Terre Haute, IN

ProsLibrarian is great and they are are extremely flexible with hours. You basically can set up your own hours each semester and can also add hours as well.

ConsThe problems with working here is that you get reduced hours during breaks between semesters, therefore you don't receive hardly any hours if any at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo insurance- work life balance is great, you also don't receive any vacation time or anything.

Students and colleagues are wonderful, but management is disconnected and unorganized.

ProsThe best reasons to work at Ivy Tech are 1) students 2) colleagues

ConsLeadership and management arbitrarily select certain people for positions in the company rather than posting the jobs. Thousands of dollars have been spent redoing facilities, yet faculty and staff make considerably lower salaries than other community colleges and four-year universities. Faculty salaries have been cut 50% for the summer 2014. Management only cares about saving money, not about quality of education.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse a shared vision approach and get in touch with the faculty, students, and staff before making decisions. Value your employees.

Worked for Ivy Tech Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ivy Tech Community College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ivy Tech Community College CEO Thomas Snyder. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by Ivy Tech Community College employees.