Ivy Tech Community College

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
3.4

Thomas Snyder

Pros
  • Helping students to achieve goals of higher education (in 6 reviews)

• Alright Pay, Good Benefits, Free College, and great opportunity to interact with the students (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, favoritisms, no real chance for promotions (in 6 reviews)

• There seems to be less and less full time faculty and more adjunct faculty (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Adjunct Instructor

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Chance to work with great people

Cons

My particular department chair had a tendency toward procrastination and disorganization. Often class assignments would be offered with little advance notice.
    Your work assignments are only from semester to semester so there's not a whole lot of stability.
    Pay for adjuncts is fairly low for the amount of effort required to do the job right.

Has a lot of potential to be a great place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping students reach their goals. Great place to work IF you land in the right department.

Cons

Too bureaucratic and top down for a college. Pay is on the lower end of the scale. Some faculty have jaded viewpoint of the student population. Not every student is looking to cheat or scheme the system. Low employee moral, and most people fear the leadership rather than respect it.

Too big, too soon. Set a course, and stick to it. Find people that know how to lead effectively and without an ego. If a job title is more feared than respected

I teach at Ivy Tech as an Adjunct Instructor

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

What I value most about Ivy Tech is the support of their leadship team. They are always available when needed, questions and/or concerns are addressed immediately.

Cons

Pay could be a little more

Continue to solicit input from staff when making decisions on ways to improve and streamline processes

South Bend new leadership (2014) is concerning. Beware.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College full-time

Pros

Many of the employees are hard working with good integrity, but have similar concerns. Serving the community is important.

Cons

Resources available and responses to ongoing concerns and issues are disappointing.

Ivy Tech

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are great benefits including vacation

Cons

low salaries, no raises, limited promotions

It has been a great opportunity and has opened many doors.

Current Employee - Student Worker-Center for Academic Excellence in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping the students is rewarding, a lot of freedom to do help students you see best, the supervisors are easy to work with, easy to work around life situations, you get free classes every semester to take.

Cons

As a student worker no real opportunity to get a an actual part time employment, you get shuffled into different departments that you know nothing about, and no way to get a raise in pay.

Good company, poor communication

Current Employee - Security Officer
    Current Employee - Security Officer

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coming to Ivy Tech I was amazed at how friendly the employees were and the seemingly professional environment.

Cons

Workplace politics just like any other company I suppose. I was paid well for what I did. It's a kiss-up kick-down workplace. It may not be like this at every branch, but it sure was where I worked. There are power-struggles higher up, and some higher ups abuse their power.

Communicate to those on the ground floor. Sure you may have good ideas sometimes, but we're not mind-readers. Don't get angry at the lesser employees for getting something wrong when you didn't communicate yourself clearly.

Adjunct

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Ivy Tech is a great institution!

Cons

Adjunct pay "is what it is."

IT Tech, Help Desk

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College

Pros

Department was fun to work in,

Cons

Slowly outsourcing the IT

None

Very low pay, no pay during semester breaks.

Current Employee - Mathematics Tutor in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Mathematics Tutor in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Librarian is great and they are are extremely flexible with hours. You basically can set up your own hours each semester and can also add hours as well.

Cons

The problems with working here is that you get reduced hours during breaks between semesters, therefore you don't receive hardly any hours if any at all.

No insurance- work life balance is great, you also don't receive any vacation time or anything.