IvyMax

CEO

Okay but very competitive

Current Employee - Office Assistant/Tutor in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant/Tutor in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at IvyMax part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working here. The pay was good and the people were fun to be around. It was one of my first jobs and I learned a lot about teaching and it was good practice for my Chinese.

Cons

As a small-ish company at the time, it wasn't very established. I was sketched out by their lack of a consistent pricing scheme (they would give variable discounts upon asking). Also, the pay to tutors was much less than what the parents actually paid.

Lots of promise, but too crazy to deliver on it.

Former Employee - Staff in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in Mountain View, CA

I worked at IvyMax

Pros

Working with students is rewarding (mostly).
    Lots of opportunities to develop skills (since you won't be trained) - curriculum planning, program development, teaching, tutoring, sales - whatever they need done, you can do it.
    Few repercussions if you mess up, as long as you keep your head down and do as you're told and don't ask for a raise.

Cons

Zero training; lots of "we trust you" and then the potential of getting in trouble at the monthly meeting or a round-table session because you didn't meet expectations (generally less of an issue for white hires; as another review mentioned, there's racism but it goes either way depending on the issue or mood).
    Erratic management - can't keep priorities straight.
    Erratic work environment - very hard to focus because of negative interactions between other staff members (the sales team generally feels a lot of pressure) and other office issues.
    Unpaid overtime.
    Regular gaslighting/guilt-tripping.

Focus on providing a quality service for the services expected of you, THEN try to innovate and create groundbreaking programs. Focus on retaining quality staff.

An Extremly Terrible Unethical and Disorganized Company

I worked at IvyMax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy to get in, as long as you are legal to work in the US. If you have a hard time on finding a job or you do not speak English but Chinese is your native language, this one is a good place to start.

Cons

The way they running business is very unethical. The company culture is more like a Chinese company running in the US. Most of employees in this company are Chinese. The owner and the management are racist and sometime they can also be reversed racism. So you will be discriminated either in a positive or negative way. They abuse full time regular staffs by giving them extremely heavy workload. You must work overtime (sometime overnight) to get the job done. However, overtime is absolutely unpaid. All you will get is a simple "Thank You" from the owner.

Family business. The family member will pretend to listen and do not accept anything you say. The company should be shut down for its corrupted business.

Okay company, but it feels like a start-up.

Former Contractor - Counselor in Orange, CA
    Former Contractor - Counselor in Orange, CA

I worked at IvyMax as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Feels good to help the students. Feels like sometimes you really make a difference in their lives. Your job is to be their coach.

Cons

Some students just don't respond. They're depressed and need counseling, but not the kind of counseling that we can give.

You need to give us more training. Some of us are just making things up as we go along.

It's ok for extra cash

Former Contractor - Counselor
    Former Contractor - Counselor

I worked at IvyMax as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Fulfilling. You get to help kids.

Cons

They don't tell you up front the number of hours you get. You might only get a few hours a week or even a month. I could have worked at the mall for more money.

Be up front. Don't call it a part-time job if it's in fact a contract worker job.

Disfunctional, unethical

Current Employee - Counselor in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Counselor in Fremont, CA

I have been working at IvyMax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to write essays, and work overtime without pay?

Cons

Money driven to the extent of being detrimental to the children, absurd costs for the return. The management is incompetent and expect you to work like a slave and pay you like one.

None, they wouldn't listen anyway.

Hire an attorney first.

I worked at IvyMax

Pros

The staff acts polite and cheerful.

Cons

This is a sales organization. Get an attorney to demand every minute detail of your employment be documented and signed by a principal before commencing employment. This includes compensation, commissions, benefits, schedule, reimbursements, ethics, pay schedule, pay amounts, basic business equipment and materials, breaks, and so on. Do not spend your own money for business expenses or provide your own materials or equipment. Do not assume that applicable employment laws will be followed. Do not sign anything without full attorney approval. Read up on applicable employment law. Assume nothing. Don't go by impressions or verbal or email reassurances.

Obey the law.

Easy going company that still pays well

Current Employee - Tutor in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at IvyMax part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay for students, and they allow you to work whenever you have time, so it does not get into the way of school.

Cons

Must prepare for tutoring sessions and do some grunt labor every once in a while, though its not so bad. Also right next to sheriffs office.

Need to find some way to electronically determine student grades, rather than hand grading them. A scantron-like machine would definitely suffice and give students an better test taking experience.

You got to be pretty independent and hunger for information to survive here.

Former Employee - Tutoring/Counseling in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Tutoring/Counseling in Cupertino, CA

I worked at IvyMax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and lunch is provided. Staff are really friendly and you can bond with them easily.

Cons

Pay isn't good compare to other institutions. They pay you in the midst of the 2nd month for your 1st month salary. No one tells you anything. You just have to explore and constantly remind your superiors this and that. Company policies are absurd.

Find a better organized mgmt team and increase the pay by like 50% or something. You guys are charging students a lot more than what you need to pay for your employees.