Ixia

Updated January 15, 2015
Updated January 15, 2015
3.3

Bethany Mayer

Pros
  • Chance to grow, lots of opportunities to learn about cutting edge technologies related to networking (in 6 reviews)

• Great talent and cut edge technology (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Problem with work life balance and salary compare to that is low (in 19 reviews)

• Long Hours, took a long time to get more staff in to ease the workload (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Internship Review

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Bucharest (Romania)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Bucharest (Romania)

I worked at Ixia as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good life-work balance, flexible hours (part-time), good salary, great, knowledgeable people.
    Really enjoyed working there, had a lot of opportunities to learn, engineers always willing to explain used concepts and frameworks.

Cons

Rigid, "corporatist", management(top level).
    Full time employees seem to be really stressed out, and a bit dissatisfied with current company outlook.

Management should consider getting closer to their employees, allow a more direct/ honest relationship with their engineers.

Good work environment

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

No dearth of challenging work

Cons

Lack of carrier development opportunity

I like my job

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer II in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer II in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like my job and I have no issues with management. Assignments are challenging and interesting - but you have to like the challenge.

Cons

Does anyone know where we are going?

I think management is on the right track though.. I can't advice.

Mostly positive work environment currently suffering from low morale

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Ixia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly positive work environment where you could talk to management and they would try their best to help you with your goals and career objectives. A lot of free snacks and decent benefits.

Cons

Long hours. Low morale due to layoffs.

Better strategic planning. LISTEN to the employees - while some of the feedback may just be gripes or requests that are not feasible given the current status of the business, there are a lot of smart people with plenty of good ideas that could help the company succeed.

Great place to lean new things

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will not get bored since product covers so many things...

Cons

some product lines has great response for any request, but some are not... you totally feel isolated.

Get out before the next layoff

Current Employee - Architect in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is clear that the HR department is creating glowing reviews to try and stem the tide of departures since the last layoff. I cannot count the number of critical people lost since the most recent purge. But these authors are certainly pros.

Cons

Reality. . . There has been and continues to be a lack of vision. Clearly management is out to protect their jobs at the expense of all those below them. The new CEO has her job cut out for her, but honestly she got hers coming in the door. If she can survive the first year, she should clear a cool million bucks, that might have been better spent retaining key people.

Research the market, understand the problems, and effectively solve those problems. Stop vying for the "bragging rights" and tossing money down the drain on pet projects. You bought a gold mine in Austin, and are driving away a most outstanding talent pool. Without the support of those key people you are doomed. Show people you value their service with money, not words. Good luck Bethany, you will need it. Perhaps you can purge the motivational destroyers that report to you.

8 years at Ixia, 3 years Snr Support Engineer, 5 years Snr Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I worked at Ixia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great products, never boring, as I was in a Technical role it was very interesting. over a majority of my time the mangement were great, products are fantastic and have alot of technical depth to learn. Good frequent trips to the US, but this was when the company was smaller, not sure how many trips there would be now for the UK based employees.

Cons

Long Hours, took a long time to get more staff in to ease the workload. work life balance is a challenge to get right, working remote has become easier of the last 2 years I was in the Job.

Look after your employees, take on more staff to help the overworked remaining Engineers.

Very nice place to start .

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Bucharest (Romania)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Bucharest (Romania)

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good work/life balance.
    Nice place to learn.
    A lot of competent people.

Cons

Directors are not willing to change things that are getting worse due to self esteem.

Probably the worst company I have every worked for.

Former Employee - Sales Capacity in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Capacity in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Ixia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some great people in the ranks who don't even know how good they are at what they do. Hard to say much else.

Cons

There is no leadership in the sales organization save for one or two. From senior management on down, it's a complete joke. Every man for himself. Management does not care a lick about their employees. They are all selfish. They are not innovative in their sales thinking. They do not practice what they preach. "Open Door" policy is complete BS. HR is in la-la land thinking they have great managers that practice what is taught at trainings, when in fact the opposite is true.

Senior sales management is so poor--you need to replace several of the VPs and the SVP. You might want to consider getting away from so much nepotism. I've never worked at a company where in every department from sales to HR you've got relatives working for each other. Bad culture.

Great Sales Opportunity!

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Calabasas, CA

I worked at Ixia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Never a dull moment as you get to work with companies in test/validation of the latest technical trends. Opportunity to make great commission plus yearly stock bonus. Great hands off management that you get to run and manage your territory like your own business and have direct impact on the outcome of your success. Definitely feel they pay higher than comparable sales positions.

Cons

Sometimes you feel like you are on an island since management doesn't provide much feedback. As long as you make your number they really don't bother. No real guidance for career development/advancement. Tendency to plateau and feel like there is no other consideration to offer new challenges to keep you motivated.

Shake up the sales organization a little and start defining some career paths or else people will start looking elsewhere!