J. Alexander's

Be The First To
Add Photos

J. Alexander's Chairman, President, and CEO Lonnie J. Stout II

Lonnie J. Stout II

Great professional work environment leading the industry in standards.

ProsSerious competent peers. Higher than industry average pay. Quality product and value driven standards. Several opportunities to learn culinary, service, and management skills.

ConsChance for growth has been limited due to a lack of company expansion. Management staffing shortage due to regular turnover leads to less opportunity to develop your staff and really grow your business.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in development and management retention programs. Create a better balance between work and personal life for your employees.

I enjoyed the workplace, but the money did not suffice.

Line Cook (Former Employee) Plantation, FL

ProsAggressive fast paced atmosphere. Great employess and staff.

ConsBeing thrown into the fire as soon as you begin working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your cooks what they deserve as long as it matches their work load.

Challenging but rewarding if u work hard.

Server/Bartender (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsGreat leadership due to a great GM. Very few have the whole package. U cant teach what she has. The restaurant takes on the personality of who ever is in charge. The biggest compliment to her leadership is that her managers perform the same whether she is in the building or not. That atmosphere of professionalism leaves the public to believe that it is a single unit company.
    Not a chain. Her postion is one of the most challenging, demanding and unfortunately thankless jobs due to the nature of the business. Not sure if I can mention names but Lora thank you for all that you do.

ConsStruggles with staffing. The bar mainly. In dire need of restructuring how tip out is executed. Turnover speaks volumes.
    corp office....every restaurant in america the bartenders get a % of total sales from each server plus their 2.13 an hr. That is the incentive of being a bartender. How high is turnover especially in the bar?? And how much money are you as a company wasting with training and then losing and having to rehire all over again.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhenever you grace us with your presence ( present RM excluded at least he gets up from the booth). Put your phone in your pocket roll up your sleeves and interact with YOUR TEAM!!..
    Inspire..teach...coach...develop. And god forbid inject yourself into the operation. Im assuming most if not all the RM's began as AM, GM's...the staff has zero interaction with these "corp boys"...Did you truly inspire your team on your visit? Or just knock out a required visit?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional Environment, Killer Food, No Money

Server (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe food is outstanding. The managers and staff are all very professional.

ConsLunches. Long shifts. Heavy sidework loads. Three-table sections. Campers. Guests don't quite seem to feel that J. Alexander's is a "real" going-out experience, and usually don't spend much money in appetizers, cocktails, wine, etc. Very difficult to make $100 on any shift. Also, you have to work your way up to being a "closer"--the only way to make decent money. This is a highly corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are people. Stop treating them like robots in a matrix. Give someone an incentive to stay. Care as much about your servers as you do about tasteplate.

Micromanaged but consistent.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is a great job for someone who wants to develop an array of skills, including discipline, consistency, and high personal standards.

ConsThis company is highly micromanaged, and some of the strict rules were a dampen on staff morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your team with a little bit more flexibility. Be aware that staff will eventually rebel against a hostile work environment.

Good money, hard work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood social environment with co workers.

ConsNo room for promotion/opportunity.
    Poor scheduling restraints.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees.

Great money, terrible, inexperienced leadership.

Server (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe money is consistent, sections are small, and if you have much experience serving anywhere before, this will be a cakewalk. Choose who you help though, you start helping everyone and you get weeded really quickly. UPPER (by UPPER, I mean our CEO, and other people high in the company) come by often and are generally friendly and great tippers.

ConsA universal in-time assures that some servers won't have tables for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half, the whole time getting paid 2.13/hr. The tip out is pretty high, at 3% of all sales, and people aren't aware of it, so servers end up paying J Alexanders more than J Alexanders pays its servers. Sometimes the three table section is frustrating when you have campers, but I'd say it evens out because it's easier than other restaurants. Leadership is the single largest weakness, by far. More often than not, they hire 21/22 year olds straight out of college with no experience who regularly demean servers and look down on them, though many servers have an equivalent or greater degree (they all have BS/BA). The lack of people experience and how to talk to subordinates is the largest weakness of working here. One manager is so well known for her disrespect, employees have quit upon hearing that she would be working there. Pretty crazy, considering she's been there over 15 years. Also, there's a BS Platinum Rule (treat people how you want to be treated) which is likely just there to make servers feel even worse about how the "coaches" (managers) treat servers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your servers better. How do you expect us to go out to our tables all smiles and sunshine when you treat us like garbage? A please and a thank-you here and there would be nice. Don't wonder why there are so many holes in the chart when no one wants to come to work. I've been in the industry a long time, and I can tell you, your waitstaff is starting to suffer because of poor leadership. Don't discount the value of a good, loyal server.

Working there was pleasant.

ProsFood
    hours of operation

ConsDress Code for hostesses
    No room for advancement
    Lots of turnover

Great, but extremely corporate.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has a wonderful structure and hires professional employees.

ConsSometimes it's easy to get lost in all the structure and miss the larger picture.

Demanding and rewarding

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe best reason to work at J's is the pay hands down. Could also ultimately become the con if you stick with it long enough. I learned a lot from working there. It helped to carve out my work ethic today, which is full force everyday. I got to witness great execution and the reap the benefits of running a great operation, which is to just work harder by this business model. A good place for someone to start, great on a resume and a very structured environment that will help to create a very solid foundation for someone fresh into the workforce.

ConsLets see, the politics of the business. This company has quite the dog and pony show. I've worked for other operations but this one by far is the most absurd. Bonus structure is awful. Actually an insult, a slap in the face. Basically there is no bonus, so don't ask and certainly don't plan on it to cover financial obligations. Quality of life is non existent. Again, i have worked for other company's with a much better approach to providing an opportunity for a better quality of life. The business model makes no sense. With the price point and guest counts where they are, they should be much more profitable. Time to evolve, look at the world around you.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the big picture. Evolve

Worked for J. Alexander's? Contribute to the Community!