J.B. Hunt

Updated August 10, 2014

3.3

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III
John N. Roberts III

Pros
  • Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Learning experience and good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Expected to Work Long hours and always on call (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

65 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work, awesome benefits and lots of opportunities

Current Employee - EPS Scheduler  in  Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - EPS Scheduler in Lowell, AR

Pros

Great place to work. My coworkers are cool to work with. Management does its best to liven up the atmosphere and create excitement for a position that can be extremely repetitive. They give you the tools you need to succeeded and continue training even after the 3 week training period. The company is always getting new business and new career opportunities are always becoming available. Really great benefits that are extremely helpful

Cons

I don't really have too many complaints. A lot of the complaints I here is the pay is low. Its definitely fair for not requiring a degree and the benefits available makes it better. Sometimes the hours can be long but that's the standard for the transportation industry. Another complaint is that sometimes politics are at play. It isn't anything that brings down morale but its noticeable that there are favorites.

keep up the good work and cut down on the favoritism

Good Company

Former Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST  in  Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Lowell, AR

Pros

They offer Plenty of hours, secured working area

Cons

Once you start picking up extra hours they expect you to always over work yourself

Consider your employees and how hard they do work for you. Do not try and burn them out.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR

Pros

The company leadership has shown a consistent ability to set and meet short and long term goals, which has fueled consistent sustainable growth of the company. Because of their sound long-term financial management, JB Hunt is uniquely positioned to take advantage all industry conditions, including downturns.

The executive team is genuinely interested in the employees as individuals.

Cons

The company has grown to the point where it is experiencing siloing. This presents a challenge when trying to respond rapidly to changing conditions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are a hard worker and mobile you can make middle management quickly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR

Pros

Executives and most upper management are genuinely nice people who truly mean what they say. Stable company with lots of different types of jobs. As long as you do a good job they will find a place for you even if your position is eliminated. They get rid of tyrant managers or ease them into non management positions.

Cons

Long hours (salaried employees are scheduled for 45 hours per week and sometimes that isn't enough to get the job done right), they need to hire an extra person here and there to ease the load. If you aren't mobile you are limited in how fast and high you can promote. If you happen to get stuck with a terrible manager it may take a while for the problem to be addressed.

If you want employees to see the big picture you need to pay them based on big picture results. Don't make employees bear the brunt of poor management decisions or sales promises. Hire a few extra people here and there so people that care about their jobs don't have to work 50-60 hours per week. Be quicker about getting rid of bad managers.

Great place to work for.

Current Employee - Operations  in  Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Operations in Lowell, AR

Pros

Great place to work and relax environment. Everybody seems to be friendly; however may run into some people who think they are better.

Cons

Have to deal with so many non technical employees.

Hire technical employees

Pays the bills

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Lowell, AR

Pros

Learning experience and good work/life balance

Cons

Male dominated industry and not much advancement opportunities

Career planning and advancement support to employees

I enjoy my job and the people are wonderful

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Lowell, AR

Pros

My manager listens to me, I work in tight knit group people and we all cooperate and help one another, we have a common goal. I am allowed to take on additional projects to keep me busy, interested, and challenged. Plenty of room to grow if you start early in your career, and are willing to change departments every few years. The Account Representative position gives you the opportunity to build relationships with customers, and is very rewarding.

Cons

Very strict attendance policy for the position ofAccount Representative in Van Marketing Division. I see more people terminated for being consistently a few minutes late than for being subpar at the job. Do not stay in one position for more than 2 years if you want to move ahead in the organization and make J.B.Hunt a successful career. The Account Representative position takes about a year to learn and be comfortable doing. It is a very stressful job.

I am rated as a role model in the AR position. I am at the top of my game. I have been trying to get promoted for years, but I get feedback that I make too much for other departments to want to take me on, and my lack of experience working in other departments is hurting me. I got that too high salary because years ago I was asked to take a pay raise and commit to stay in the department for a few more years. It destroyed my chances at a career with JBHunt. I am repeatedly told a lateral move to get more experience in other departments would include a hefty pay cut. I am honest, loyal, and extremely intelligent. I have the respect and admiration of my peers. I am sad that I will have to leave a company I love in order to move forward in my career. I will miss you and you will replace me, but it will be very hard for you to find any one person to match my caliber and potential.

It was awful working as CSR.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lowell, AR

Pros

Good compensation. Work in groups. You have peak hours and some down time.

Cons

Training was short only observing. The person who trained was always judging others mistakes. It was an open where everyone works in cubicle. Trainer was pointing out how stupid some people were. She will discuss errors by others with co-workers.

It's very unprofessional to talk about previous employers, so it's hearing co-workers drawing your name so openly.

Trapped by competence

Former Employee - Delta Center  in  Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Delta Center in Lowell, AR

Pros

Great bonuses. Nice office. Good hours.

Cons

If you are good at your job, have a skillset they need, and work in the delta center, there you shall stay...

Good company. Challenging work. Great people.

Current Employee - Senior Programming Specialist  in  Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Programming Specialist in Lowell, AR

Pros

Challenging work, great people, stable work environment. Pay is reasonable for the area.

Cons

Aggressive deadlines that are not realistic. Work life balance is not always honored. No real incentive to work harder. Employee ideas may be heard but they are not given any real consideration by upper management.

I don't mind working hard, but the long hours are burning me out. Give REAL incentive to work hard. A raise that barely covers the cost of living increase doesn't cut it. People need to feel valued, money is not always the answer but a lack of a reasonable raise speaks volumes to how we are valued.

Also, expand the career path. A decent developer with 10-15 years of experience will top out in career path easily. The only way to grow at that point is to go into management or leave the company. Those with a technical bent typically leave, I have seen us lose many great developers for this reason.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!