J.B. Hunt
www.jbhunt.com Lowell, AR 5000+ Employees

J.B. Hunt Reviews in Arkansas

Updated Jul 6, 2014
J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III

John N. Roberts III

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company

Lowell, AR

ProsThe company leadership has shown a consistent ability to set and meet short and long term goals, which has fueled consistent sustainable growth of the company. Because of their sound long-term financial management, JB Hunt is uniquely positioned to take advantage all industry conditions, including downturns.

The executive team is genuinely interested in the employees as individuals.

ConsThe company has grown to the point where it is experiencing siloing. This presents a challenge when trying to respond rapidly to changing conditions.

If you are a hard worker and mobile you can make middle management quickly

Lowell, AR

ProsExecutives and most upper management are genuinely nice people who truly mean what they say. Stable company with lots of different types of jobs. As long as you do a good job they will find a place for you even if your position is eliminated. They get rid of tyrant managers or ease them into non management positions.

ConsLong hours (salaried employees are scheduled for 45 hours per week and sometimes that isn't enough to get the job done right), they need to hire an extra person here and there to ease the load. If you aren't mobile you are limited in how fast and high you can promote. If you happen to get stuck with a terrible manager it may take a while for the problem to be addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want employees to see the big picture you need to pay them based on big picture results. Don't make employees bear the brunt of poor management decisions or sales promises. Hire a few extra people here and there so people that care about their jobs don't have to work 50-60 hours per week. Be quicker about getting rid of bad managers.

Great place to work for.

Operations (Current Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsGreat place to work and relax environment. Everybody seems to be friendly; however may run into some people who think they are better.

ConsHave to deal with so many non technical employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire technical employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pays the bills

Account Representative (Current Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsLearning experience and good work/life balance

ConsMale dominated industry and not much advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer planning and advancement support to employees

It was awful working as CSR.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsGood compensation. Work in groups. You have peak hours and some down time.

ConsTraining was short only observing. The person who trained was always judging others mistakes. It was an open where everyone works in cubicle. Trainer was pointing out how stupid some people were. She will discuss errors by others with co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's very unprofessional to talk about previous employers, so it's hearing co-workers drawing your name so openly.

I enjoy my job and the people are wonderful

Account Representative (Current Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsMy manager listens to me, I work in tight knit group people and we all cooperate and help one another, we have a common goal. I am allowed to take on additional projects to keep me busy, interested, and challenged. Plenty of room to grow if you start early in your career, and are willing to change departments every few years. The Account Representative position gives you the opportunity to build relationships with customers, and is very rewarding.

ConsVery strict attendance policy for the position ofAccount Representative in Van Marketing Division. I see more people terminated for being consistently a few minutes late than for being subpar at the job. Do not stay in one position for more than 2 years if you want to move ahead in the organization and make J.B.Hunt a successful career. The Account Representative position takes about a year to learn and be comfortable doing. It is a very stressful job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am rated as a role model in the AR position. I am at the top of my game. I have been trying to get promoted for years, but I get feedback that I make too much for other departments to want to take me on, and my lack of experience working in other departments is hurting me. I got that too high salary because years ago I was asked to take a pay raise and commit to stay in the department for a few more years. It destroyed my chances at a career with JBHunt. I am repeatedly told a lateral move to get more experience in other departments would include a hefty pay cut. I am honest, loyal, and extremely intelligent. I have the respect and admiration of my peers. I am sad that I will have to leave a company I love in order to move forward in my career. I will miss you and you will replace me, but it will be very hard for you to find any one person to match my caliber and potential.

Good company. Challenging work. Great people.

Senior Programming Specialist (Current Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsChallenging work, great people, stable work environment. Pay is reasonable for the area.

ConsAggressive deadlines that are not realistic. Work life balance is not always honored. No real incentive to work harder. Employee ideas may be heard but they are not given any real consideration by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't mind working hard, but the long hours are burning me out. Give REAL incentive to work hard. A raise that barely covers the cost of living increase doesn't cut it. People need to feel valued, money is not always the answer but a lack of a reasonable raise speaks volumes to how we are valued.

Also, expand the career path. A decent developer with 10-15 years of experience will top out in career path easily. The only way to grow at that point is to go into management or leave the company. Those with a technical bent typically leave, I have seen us lose many great developers for this reason.

Not a good company to work for.

Fleet Manager (Former Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsI started off as a FM on the OTR side of the company then was "promoted" to a special project manager position. Traveled a lot, and with experience gained. My next career path will be a walk in the park in comparison.

Consextremely long hours 5am-5pm, I worked with pop-up accounts and was basically working 7 days a week, pay was 33k so I was extremely underpaid. I knew this, asked for a raise/another manager to help out with day to day operations (at least a two man job). Little to no training, trial by fire mentality, and to be honest about everyone there was so miserable it was depressing to come into work with all the sad people around you. I had to run/workout during lunch to keep from getting fat and depressed like the people there.

Anyways, the company has great potential, but they are far from there. There is no team building, training, and an extreme lack of synergy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake you team out to lunch, have a softball or ultimate frisbee league, cookouts, anything to get people to be part of a team not just a miserable cubicle farm with sad fat people. TRAINING, it works, the trial by fire deal.. not the best way to motivate your employees. Lastly, compensation.. seriously. I was up in NY, NJ, PA, CT, RI etc working 7 days a week for 33k. That was the back breaker that made me move on.

Trapped by competence

Delta Center (Former Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsGreat bonuses. Nice office. Good hours.

ConsIf you are good at your job, have a skillset they need, and work in the delta center, there you shall stay...

independent agile programming

Programmer (Current Employee)
    Lowell, AR

Prosability to work on your own

Consmay get lost easily, no specified breaks

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.B. Hunt reviews and ratings in Arkansas — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J.B. Hunt CEO John N. Roberts III. All 63 reviews posted anonymously by J.B. Hunt employees.