J.B. Hunt

www.jbhunt.com

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III

John N. Roberts III

Pros
  • Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits(in 8 reviews)

• Learning experience and good work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• Expected to Work Long hours and always on call(in 23 reviews)

very good company to work for.

Shop Foreman (Current Employee) San Bernardino, CA

Prosvery fast pace environment. paid time off. vacation time.

Consstandard repair times doesn't seem fair. no room for mistakes.turn and burn .over worked.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to what employees have to say .

JB Hunt Review

Fleet Manager (Current Employee) South Gate, CA

ProsDefinitely a lot of opportunities for growth within the company especially in operations in transportation logistics and other departments within the company.

ConsTime-off policies differ with every department, since its a 24hour operation, time off is very strict. Work life balance is very poor. 50 hour work week mandatory

DCS Driver

DCS Driver (Former Employee)

ProsNice Equipment, nice people in management.

ConsThey will promise you big money like over 1000.00 per week but reality is more like 500.00 to 600.00 gross. Once again, trucking company lies about what you will be making. This has caused me to drop out of the trucking industry. Once my CDL is up for renewal, I will drop the CDL for a normal drivers license. You cannot trust any trucking company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay what you promise. If you say 50,000.00 per year, pay it. Truck drivers need paid by the hour, not the mile or stop. That pressure causes unsafe pushing on self to make more money.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glad I'm gone. Brokerage division

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are good people inside the company.

ConsHours vs. Pay do not equal up. 7 days on call and 12 hr days is the norm. The internal structure of leadership is a joke here. Each year we as a company made more money but the "bonus" pay to the employee side went down each year I worked at Hunt. There was never an answer as to why only the "well just work harder" idea.

I'm pretty sure this company had a flavor of the week wheel they would spin each Monday and spend the week complaining about whatever the wheel landed on..... This keeps them from having to have a thought of their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the turnover. You can't treat people like indentured servants and expect them to keep caring that your bottom line is growing while their bottom line is getting worked off.

Take advice from the people that are doing the jobs instead of the talking heads who haven't been in the trenches for years and have no real clue of what the market is doing.

Or just keep doing what you are doing.... I don't know that J.B. would be very happy with where is company is now compared to the culture and environment he created way back when with those rice hulls.

Excellent place to work for

ProsChallenging fast paced environment. Enjoyable.

ConsSalary needs to be a little more competitive

Pays the bills

Account Representative (Current Employee) Lowell, AR

ProsLearning experience and good work/life balance

ConsMale dominated industry and not much advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer planning and advancement support to employees

final mile

Local Truck Driver (Former Employee) Aurora, CO

ProsSome good people you work with

ConsThey want you to work 12 to 14 hours a day and your pay never adds up. No one can fully explain how your pay is being broken down! You get written for just about everything even thing that is really out of your control. They are truly about making money for the company. Your pay changes week to week unless your there favorite.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take this job if you value your home life!!

Account Manager

ProsHas a good vision of the future and its goals.

ConsThe work/life balance can take a tole on an individual, but this various on location, not for all locations.

Not a good company to work for.

Fleet Manager (Former Employee) Lowell, AR

ProsI started off as a FM on the OTR side of the company then was "promoted" to a special project manager position. Traveled a lot, and with experience gained. My next career path will be a walk in the park in comparison.

Consextremely long hours 5am-5pm, I worked with pop-up accounts and was basically working 7 days a week, pay was 33k so I was extremely underpaid. I knew this, asked for a raise/another manager to help out with day to day operations (at least a two man job). Little to no training, trial by fire mentality, and to be honest about everyone there was so miserable it was depressing to come into work with all the sad people around you. I had to run/workout during lunch to keep from getting fat and depressed like the people there.

Anyways, the company has great potential, but they are far from there. There is no team building, training, and an extreme lack of synergy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake you team out to lunch, have a softball or ultimate frisbee league, cookouts, anything to get people to be part of a team not just a miserable cubicle farm with sad fat people. TRAINING, it works, the trial by fire deal.. not the best way to motivate your employees. Lastly, compensation.. seriously. I was up in NY, NJ, PA, CT, RI etc working 7 days a week for 33k. That was the back breaker that made me move on.

It was awful working as CSR.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Lowell, AR

ProsGood compensation. Work in groups. You have peak hours and some down time.

ConsTraining was short only observing. The person who trained was always judging others mistakes. It was an open where everyone works in cubicle. Trainer was pointing out how stupid some people were. She will discuss errors by others with co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's very unprofessional to talk about previous employers, so it's hearing co-workers drawing your name so openly.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!