J.B. Hunt
www.jbhunt.com Lowell, AR 5000+ Employees

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III

John N. Roberts III

Pros:
  • "Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Learning experience and good work/life balance"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Expected to Work Long hours and always on call"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

short-lived

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back company, no micro-managing

ConsThe pay is not very good unless you are in UPPER management

Chaotic to say the least

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsTremendous exposure to responsibility and involvement for a entry level positon

ConsExtremely disorganized and an old fashioned work environment/professional mindset

Advice to Senior ManagementPositions are extremely demanding and an effort needs to be made to recruit talent that is able to handle these positions, rather than paying below market rate for sub-par talent.

Great people, terrible technology

Programming Specialist (Current Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsGreat work-life balance, great co-workers

ConsEverything is built on top of a buggy, legacy Mainframe foundation. Even the newer distributed applications are destroyed by this, making them unmaintainable from the beginning. There's lots of talk of "modernization", but based on the current allocation of resources, it doesn't seem like fixing this is a high priority. Lots of big, non-technical companies are like this, but the rhetoric here makes it sound different, as if the expectation is to have high-quality code without dedicating any time to fix major, glaring, decades-old problems.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No chance to advance.

Company Driver (Former Employee)
    Elwood, IL

ProsDecent pay & benefits...IF...you are full time.

ConsLIARS...!!! Hired me on as a part time Company Driver. Told me there would be advancement opportunities for full time employment. I worked for 16 months as a spotter with no benefits nor a raise. The position I worked in & the place I worked at was, an outsourced position from a manufacturing facility. This particular facility had been having a major problem in keeping a part time spotter. I soon found out why. The female S & H clerks enjoyed discriminating against legal aliens of 3rd world decent as well as most men in general. I worked there for 16 months...when a full time position became open...it was open to anyone...except me. I believe this was because they couldn't find anyone willing to work part time with no benefits. A contract existed between the facility & J.B. Hunt. It expired during my tenure there. It was renewed & I was told that the contract had been renewed for another 3 year term but, did not include a raise for me at all. J.B. Hunt exploited me...a 14 year combat veteran...they expected me to work there 36 more months with out a raise & without any benefits...then they added that on those certain occassions when I was asked to work more than my 6 hours a day...5 days a week...that if I went over 40 hours, that I would NOT be paid time & a half for over 40 hours. It felt to me as if they were saying...thanks for being a sucker...sucker. We don't want you as an employee unless we can continue to exploit you forever. I quit shortly thereafter & told them, when I gave notice, that it did not have to be a 2 week notice, that I was willing to work longer...until they found a replacement. (Am I stupid or what ?)

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the moral courage to stand up for & do what is right. When you have a hard working , good employee, you should do what it takes to keep him on board. Especially if he is a veteran, this becomes more important. If you say, we appreciate our freedom...& thanks for the effort...SHOW IT.

Transportation Specialist - ICS

Transportation Specialist (Former Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsA lot of interaction with other people / carriers. Enjoyed my coworkers.

ConsLow pay. Odd culture within the division, it was not a fit for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't starve your entry level employees so that when you actually promote them, they think they are rich because you offered them 35k a year.

really bad ,no communication,dispatch sucks because they have no trucking experience.

Company Driver (Former Employee)
    Shreveport, LA

Prosthat is a good company but the people who run things don`t have a clue on how the trucking industry works.

Consno communication,dispatch don`t have a clue

Advice to Senior Managementthey need to put the needs of the driver first and put the freight second

DCS south east region is not a great place to be

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsExcellent company to work for if you are a single male willing to relocate many times.

ConsIn operations it is a 24/7 job and you will not be paid for all the hours and stress. Upper management does not care about its employees and it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more women in the south east region. Women create lasting relationships with drivers and customers. Be more understanding that employees have families

Long Hours, Lots of Stress, Low Pay but plenty of potential (ICS)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsGreat people in the office with plenty of interaction and never any down time. Benefits such as health, dental vision are pretty good.

ConsNo structure on growth, raises, advancements. The executive management team is very quiet with their plan for employees. This leads to being in the dark quite often. LOW PAY for the area, prob not too bad for overall transportation. High levels of stress and very unorganized. Everything is needed 5 minutes ago and for the most part things are patched together due to the lack of lead time. So much emphasis is placed on the bonus structure however the bonus can be extremely inconsistent or non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with your ideas and plans, secrecy does not help the organization come together.

If you want to be back in high school, this is the place.

Account Representative (Current Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsPay is not so bad for the work you do.

ConsVery much like high school, everyone is in their little groups and if you are not in a group, you are not included. Also, if you are one minute late they will use that as an excuse to say you have poor job performance. My significant other's care broke down when it was 12 degrees outside, I asked my manager if I could go and pick them up or if I needed to call around and find someone else and was told my leaving would be fine but would cost me some PTO. I come back and am immediately ushered into a room and written up for taking time off (1 hour) without a 72 hour notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employees.

Unprofessional Culture and Stubborn to Change

Programmer (Current Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsBonuses. I could always look forward to a bonus every quarter.

ConsGeneral lack of professionalism and laziness in corporate culture (dress code, work ethic, technology standards, etc.). On my first "Jeans Day", a Team Member wore sweat pants and a t-shirt--unacceptable at a corporate HQ.
    They are set in their ways and resistant to inevitable change. A large portion of the IT staff have been there for 15+ years and have bred a culture of resistance and stubbornness when it comes to technological change. JBHT will never get great developers when they don't strive to leaders on the edge of technology and technological standards. The saddest and most irritating part was that they were excited and proud of "advancements" that were about 5-10+ years old.
    Management knew I was bored and generally unchallenged in my job, but little to nothing about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish some accountability for your corporate culture. The way people dress, act, and work create lasting first impressions.
    Sink some funds into R&D. There are so many technologies that JBHT could benefit from (RFID namely) that they don't invest in because "we've never done it like that".
    Take IT seriously. JBHT could be so much more if you hired the best developers and keep them busy. Separating IT into business units is not conducive to collaborative thinking among developers. It only restricts personal resources and inhibits optimal output.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.B. Hunt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J.B. Hunt CEO John N. Roberts III. All 208 reviews posted anonymously by J.B. Hunt employees.