J.B. Hunt
www.jbhunt.com Lowell, AR 5000+ Employees

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III

John N. Roberts III

Pros:
  • "Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Learning experience and good work/life balance"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Expected to Work Long hours and always on call"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Industry leader? In what respect exactly?

Regional Inter-modal (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI can't say that there were any to speak of that I could see. Oh, they have a terminal in Chicago which is my hometown.

ConsDispatcher expect to run you up to your last minute of drive time. After completing orientation took 5 weeks to get me into a truck that was not set up for me to use my CPAP machine. Too much time wasted looking for empty trailers. Sub-standard equipment. Maintenance shop that is constantly behind on workload, lack of attention to detail. Cannot provide drivers who do not smoke with a smoke free work environment. Witnessed a maintenance employee smoking on the clock while performing repairs in the cab of a drivers truck. Staff assigned to clean and detail trucks are ineffective at best, not held accountable for lack of work standards. If truck requires service while in Chicago, plan to be there atleast 4-5 days before repairs are complete. They will keep you waiting!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with people before they come to orientation so they won't have to waste their time or miss out on other opportunities. I turned down other companies with better offers and better equipment only to be misled by this company.

Best of all big trucking companies

Inter-modal (Former Employee)
    Lithia Springs, GA

ProsDecent pay, good miles, decent managers

ConsStill a bit typical, dispatchers will ignore you when there is a problem. Unkept promises

Advice to Senior ManagementFleet managers still act like they are above the drivers. Dont ignore us when we have an issue.

Good place to work if you are placed in the correct job position.

OFFICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsPay and Bosses work with you when you have to take off unexpectedly to take care of important family matters.

ConsStressful place to work everyone is in a hurry .

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work

Pda (Current Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsLots of room to move.

Cons401k could use some improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore cross training

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Management doesn't listen and avoids conflict

ProsNothing good to say about the company.

ConsThe company expects a lot of work for very little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove pay and work/life balance or continue to lose talented frontline operators.

Long hours, long commute, boring work

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosstarting salary, at first-but then you are told you must work 9-10 hrs per day without breaks or a lunch

Great job for someone right out of college or for those with limited brain capacity

Consboring, unorganized, I've worked at small businesses that have better technology and processes. Micro managed, under staffed. You are actually scolded for stepping away from your desk for more then 3 minutes during a 10 hour shift. Recruiters mislead applicants with hours, schedule etc. No vacation until after 1 year of service. Only holidays off are Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Advice to Senior Managementyour extremely high turnover rate is not due to the people you hire, but the atmosphere, work/life balance that would turn anyone with experience away

Great

ProsGreat pay, Great benefits, Great environment

ConsDepartments should communicate a little better

Fantastic

Local Truck Driver (Former Employee)
    Elizabeth, NJ

ProsI liked the fact that they were serious about safety !

ConsI can't think of any, they are a great company, I enjoyed working there !

Advice to Senior Managementthere are none , are a great company

Busy

ProsSolid group of people to work with

ConsCan get caught up with work

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more social events to break the monotony of the work day

Your personal experience will EXTREMELY depend on the department you get into

Accounts Payable Office Assistant (Former Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsIn general the benefits aren't too bad.
    If you're in the right area it is really easy to advance/move positions.
    Some of the people are really amazing to work with.

ConsMy department was awful. Seriously, other departments called us "The Morgue". Yeah. Team work was not at all encouraged, no talking to your coworkers, and if you tried to get to know people you would be taken into an office and "officially reprimanded" for wasting time. My coworkers (every single one of them) were just as miserable as I was and we all would describe our work as "The place dreams went to die." On the other side of that spectrum, I have friends that are still with the company that have enjoyed their entire experience. Your own experience will vary greatly depending on who you work for. Some of the managers there really will work their own butts off to advance your career. I would definitely recommend to not even consider it unless you're moving into a salaried position of some sort. Hourly rules are if you are 1 minute late, 4 times within a 6 week rolling period, you will actually acquire attendance points. Literally, 1 minute late. Being on time really wasn't an issue, but just knowing that you have ZERO flexibility? It was depressing just thinking about it. My manager actually told me once that because she was salary it didn't matter if she was 15 minutes late, or took a long lunch. No one tracked her time. It's definitely corporate, and I can't describe how many people I knew there that were in relationships with coworkers, and cheating on them with other coworkers. It's like a soap opera. And Friday jeans days are paid, every week. Rarely do you get a free jeans day, HOWEVER, the money does supposedly go to charity.

Advice to Senior ManagementI could go on forever. Really beef up your HR department and give them the power to make change within the company. When I tried discussing the issues we all had I was just told there wasn't anything they could do about it. Having your HR group really be proactive within the company could change a lot of dynamic.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.B. Hunt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J.B. Hunt CEO John N. Roberts III. All 207 reviews posted anonymously by J.B. Hunt employees.