J.B. Hunt
www.jbhunt.com Lowell, AR 5000+ Employees

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III

John N. Roberts III

Pros:
  • "Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Learning experience and good work/life balance"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Expected to Work Long hours and always on call"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Care nothing about drivers

ProsNew Equipment
    Electronic logs(not many like em but I do)
    Never have to drive unsafe or out of hours

ConsPay is horrible, 11 yrs experience took a pay cut to .32 a mile
    "dispatchers" treat and talk to you like crap..being college grads, they know more about driving ya know
    Fuel bonus is very hard to get
    No performance bonus or raise in all the 3 years I've been with them

Advice to Senior ManagementPay drivers better. If the CEO gets a yearly bonus, so should the drivers. Hire some Fleet Managers that have common sense and treat drivers a little better..and PLEASE get rid of Peoplenet. Its the worst software I've had the displeasure of using in my professional AND personal life.

So far, so bad...Whether or not JBHT was a good foundation for me long term - yet to be determined....

Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise (Former Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsThe pros of JBHT ? Well it was a job and paid the bills for a few years early in my career...It taught me how to handle stressful situations, how *not* to lead/manage people, and has in some arenas (where folks are familiar with how difficult an environment this organization was) reflected well on a resume. To be balanced and fair, while it was by far the exception rather than the norm, I did meet some great individuals and experience personal development while there. Company stock has outperformed, and Intermodal/DCS business units are solid to the portfolio and remain in a growth stage.

To what extent this place served as a solid start for my career is still yet to be determined - thus far I can only say it set me back professionally a few years and I'm still trying to make up that ground. Hopefully one day I'll look back and see it differently.

ConsWhere do I start ? I suppose the #1 issue JBHT had at its core was compensation. A good pay check covers many sins/ills, and much of the poor culture and bizarre managerial practices could be better tolerated if you were making money. Sadly, almost NOBODY makes any money at this company. Honestly, I rare encountered anyone who made $50K salary which is a fairly humble figure at most mid-cap to large companies. The company operated in the stone age when it came to HR practices - there were no pay bands, compensation was a very taboo topic, every time a budget cut was necessary employees salary/benefits were the first thing to go. Bonuses, even when metrics were achieved, were often times not granted due to a variety of lame reasons. I could write book about the "cons", but in general, there was little development of employees or fair compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote integrity, fairness, and employee benefits. In other words: transform the culture. If you do this, they'll take care of you! This is being strategic and focusing more on the long term...Be slower to hire, vetting candidates thoroughly,and then develop/promote those individuals to encourage retention.

So So workplace, so so salary

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a job for sure, but maybe not a career. High driver turn over and bad equipment

ConsLong Hours, under-paid per industry average, high priced benefits package.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

n/a

Carrier Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Lowell, AR

Prosculture, team, and nothing else.

Consinadequate compensation for the type of job.

Poor Work Environment

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Aberdeen, MD

ProsGreat Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits

ConsLong Hours, Poor Communication Between Account Management and Supervisors working in the office. No work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the frontline employees more, and not worry so much about the bottom line when there are unhappy employees.

Ok

Local Truck Driver (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsSteady paycheck and you will never get laidoff new trucks and trailers easy work

ConsPay sucks they could pay alot more they are making alot of money every quarter but won't give drivers or fleet managers any money. People who are in charge really don't now anything about hauling freight never been behind the wheel but yet thats who trains.

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up or we will have the union there so fast your head will spin. Can you say local 705

Extremely Poor

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompetent senior management, bonuses are good when the economy is doing well. There is a variety of different schedules to work, so it can be a good place to work if you are in school and needing to work full time.

ConsSub par pay, with no raises to speak of...ever. What you come in at, is what you will most likely leave with. Bonuses. This is a 2 sided coin. Even if you earn a certain bonus percentage, it is doubtful that it will be paid out if it is over the 30% mark. Even if you earn a stellar bonus, do not expect to get that amount.

There is very much an "Us verse Them" with management. The senior management is very arrogant, yet they could not even log onto a phone a take a call. Also, there is absolutely no communication between management and employees. It is very much like a bad marriage. Things will come down the pipeline that are major, and the employees will find out about them the day they are supposed to take place.

The benefits are terrible. They are really focusing on the HDHP where you get to pay the first $2650 to meet your deductible before the insurance even kicks in, so in effect if you sign up for this version of insurance you have already reduced your salary by this much, and if you have kids you know you will be paying it. Also it goes up every year, but your salary doesn't. The 401k is ok, but you have very few investment options to consider.

There is absolutely ZERO chance of advancement, what you get hired into is what you will retire doing and this is at the corporate office. Also, there are 4 divisions, but being able to transfer between them, is next to impossible. Someone on here has already spoken about the "mythical" paybands and this is true. You pretty much never know if the job you are applying for is a lateral move a promotion or somewhere inbetween. There is zero transparency. Also, being qualified for a job in no way guarantees you will even get an interview. They want you in your current position until you retire or leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent, and for the love of all that is holy, start communicating better with your employees! Also, if the company earns a certain eps (earnings per share) amount, just pay it, and quit coming up with these lame reasons why you can't.....oh wait that is right...COMMUNICATE with your employees.

slavery ! You are just a tool to make them more $$

Driver (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosits a job with insurance

ConsNo respect for drivers You are micro managed to the MAX.. Making $$ over safety Drivers can be replaced and are for little or no reason.A flat tire is 3 to 4 hours of your time you don't get paid for.If you have to take your truck in for service (not paid) Call road service 45 min of your cell phone and time.IF you have to get a comcheck to pay for something for the company hey charge you for the FEES...WAY TO MUCH STRESS

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat you drivers with respect They make you pay check possible. Share some of thr record profits with the people who work for the company, Putting there familys aside !

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Lowell, AR

ProsHas good bonus Bonus when earnings are good. Good management in business. Living expenses are less in Arkansas and not much competition.

ConsIt's a job not a career. Don't give any opportunity for any growth. Not good for engineers. Does not have structure for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould promote team work. Should give opportunity to grow and empower employee. Need to create. Structure for advancement. Need better work and life balance.

JB Hunt is ...

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros- Learn a lot regarding management skills and how to deal with different personalities.
    - The starting salary is pretty good, possible structure for bonuses differ per account.
    - More of a great learning experience.
    - JB has different segments within the company: ICS, DCS, Intermodal, Van

Cons- Very long hours which are not fair across the board. Some people work 7, some 12 a day and we all make the same salary.
    - Not many opportunities for advancement unless you want to move out of the Chicago area.
    - You plateau fast. 1 promotion within 6-9 months of being there, and then become stagnant.
    - Lack of communication of where you stand.

Advice to Senior Management-Don't be afraid to tell the management team what a great job they're doing. Sometimes people feel like there hard work goes unrecognized.
    -Be less secretive regarding promotions / growth. Let it be competitive, let people know what's out there and let them work for it.
    -Customize salary in correlation to work ethic / account specific

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.B. Hunt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J.B. Hunt CEO John N. Roberts III. All 208 reviews posted anonymously by J.B. Hunt employees.