J.B. Hunt

Updated August 21, 2014

3.3

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III
John N. Roberts III

Pros
  • Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Learning experience and good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Expected to Work Long hours and always on call (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place for work/life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR

Pros

Management is good, allow you to try new things.

Cons

Team is always trying to find fault on you and complain to the Managers.We need to justify your work all the time to your Manager. Management is really good. Team culture hurts a lot.

Glad I'm gone. Brokerage division

Pros

There are good people inside the company.

Cons

Hours vs. Pay do not equal up. 7 days on call and 12 hr days is the norm. The internal structure of leadership is a joke here. Each year we as a company made more money but the "bonus" pay to the employee side went down each year I worked at Hunt. There was never an answer as to why only the "well just work harder" idea.

I'm pretty sure this company had a flavor of the week wheel they would spin each Monday and spend the week complaining about whatever the wheel landed on..... This keeps them from having to have a thought of their own.

Look at the turnover. You can't treat people like indentured servants and expect them to keep caring that your bottom line is growing while their bottom line is getting worked off.

Take advice from the people that are doing the jobs instead of the talking heads who haven't been in the trenches for years and have no real clue of what the market is doing.

Or just keep doing what you are doing.... I don't know that J.B. would be very happy with where is company is now compared to the culture and environment he created way back when with those rice hulls.

final mile

Former Employee - Local Truck Driver  in  Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Local Truck Driver in Aurora, CO

Pros

Some good people you work with

Cons

They want you to work 12 to 14 hours a day and your pay never adds up. No one can fully explain how your pay is being broken down! You get written for just about everything even thing that is really out of your control. They are truly about making money for the company. Your pay changes week to week unless your there favorite.

Don't take this job if you value your home life!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Fleet Manager  in  Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Lowell, AR

Pros

I started off as a FM on the OTR side of the company then was "promoted" to a special project manager position. Traveled a lot, and with experience gained. My next career path will be a walk in the park in comparison.

Cons

extremely long hours 5am-5pm, I worked with pop-up accounts and was basically working 7 days a week, pay was 33k so I was extremely underpaid. I knew this, asked for a raise/another manager to help out with day to day operations (at least a two man job). Little to no training, trial by fire mentality, and to be honest about everyone there was so miserable it was depressing to come into work with all the sad people around you. I had to run/workout during lunch to keep from getting fat and depressed like the people there.

Anyways, the company has great potential, but they are far from there. There is no team building, training, and an extreme lack of synergy.

Take you team out to lunch, have a softball or ultimate frisbee league, cookouts, anything to get people to be part of a team not just a miserable cubicle farm with sad fat people. TRAINING, it works, the trial by fire deal.. not the best way to motivate your employees. Lastly, compensation.. seriously. I was up in NY, NJ, PA, CT, RI etc working 7 days a week for 33k. That was the back breaker that made me move on.

I was totally overwhelmed by all it takes to do simple tasks

Pros

Plenty of work most of time.

Cons

Extremely over structured. You have to account for every minute. You have to take pictures before you touch anything. You spend more time on computer than actually doing the work.

Take a good look at what you expect from your employees. Too much!

Industry leader? In what respect exactly?

Former Employee - Regional Inter-modal  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional Inter-modal in Chicago, IL

Pros

I can't say that there were any to speak of that I could see. Oh, they have a terminal in Chicago which is my hometown.

Cons

Dispatcher expect to run you up to your last minute of drive time. After completing orientation took 5 weeks to get me into a truck that was not set up for me to use my CPAP machine. Too much time wasted looking for empty trailers. Sub-standard equipment. Maintenance shop that is constantly behind on workload, lack of attention to detail. Cannot provide drivers who do not smoke with a smoke free work environment. Witnessed a maintenance employee smoking on the clock while performing repairs in the cab of a drivers truck. Staff assigned to clean and detail trucks are ineffective at best, not held accountable for lack of work standards. If truck requires service while in Chicago, plan to be there atleast 4-5 days before repairs are complete. They will keep you waiting!

Be honest with people before they come to orientation so they won't have to waste their time or miss out on other opportunities. I turned down other companies with better offers and better equipment only to be misled by this company.

Management doesn't listen and avoids conflict

Pros

Nothing good to say about the company.

Cons

The company expects a lot of work for very little pay.

Improve pay and work/life balance or continue to lose talented frontline operators.

Long hours, long commute, boring work

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

starting salary, at first-but then you are told you must work 9-10 hrs per day without breaks or a lunch

Great job for someone right out of college or for those with limited brain capacity

Cons

boring, unorganized, I've worked at small businesses that have better technology and processes. Micro managed, under staffed. You are actually scolded for stepping away from your desk for more then 3 minutes during a 10 hour shift. Recruiters mislead applicants with hours, schedule etc. No vacation until after 1 year of service. Only holidays off are Christmas and Thanksgiving.

your extremely high turnover rate is not due to the people you hire, but the atmosphere, work/life balance that would turn anyone with experience away

Lots of fake "positive posts" Carrier sales/Account Managemet

Former Employee - Account Manager/Carrier Sales
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Carrier Sales

Pros

A paycheck and even that is low compared to industry standards

Cons

We are encouraged to lie to customers, hellish work environment. Work long hours get paid pennies, try to scam you on PTO, benefits are a joke, management only cares about themselves and try to make it seem like they are there for you, but they are not. If something goes bad and is out of your control specifically and a carrier it is your fault no matter what. Even if you cover over 100 loads and 99 of them are perfect and 1 goes bad you still get in trouble. This type of work place is really not worth it, save yourself the headache and look else where. You will be stuck in the same position for a long time with no growth.

Be a leader not a manager. Influence your employees and have their backs. DON'T BE SELFISH!

Very horribel

Former Employee - Business Development Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Large company, plenty of opportunities.

Cons

No formal training, forced to lie to customers, and long work hours for low pay. Bonus plan is always changed so that you never get your full bonus amount. Managers do no work and take all of your credit. No vacation of time off, and poor work-life balance.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!