J.B. Hunt

Employer Engaged

Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

JB Hunt is an aggressively growing company that affords competent people the chance for quick advancement. The executive management team has set their sights high and continue to deliver. JB Hunt promotes from within and appears to take care of the people who stick with them.

Cons

The company is internally segmented into four divisions that sometimes seem to clash and the pay structure doesn't provide incentive for operations to work together.

Cross train management in different divisions to bring the organization together as a whole operationally.

Would do it again

Former Employee - Company Driver
    Former Employee - Company Driver

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great company, good pay rate, friendly staff who is very helpful for drivers

Cons

some drivers seem to get more miles and the owner/operators get preference over company drivers from what I saw. Company drivers do a lot of sitting and waiting for loads. Load miles too short, Not many loads over 250 miles. That is J B Hunt way of doing business. They take the short loads no other company wants and they are making money. It is just not great for a driver! Mostdrivers like

Maybe they can look at getting more long mile loads. Things may have changed since I was there.

Not perfect, but the best in the industry

Current Employee - Over the Road Truck Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Over the Road Truck Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very good system, when broken down they move very fast. Over all, a very good software system is running the company and it shows. Very polite people on the phone.

Cons

The norm, break down and mean people at shipping and receiving. Once and a while you get a light load.

Keep on truckin

You get what you deserve

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt

Pros

Excellent Opportunity for those that are motivated
    Relaxed atmosphere for most departments
    Excellent Benefits
    Right off the highway, easy to get to

Cons

Long Hours for salaried people
    Occassional Overtime occurs for some people
    Non competitive rates in the area
    Not located in a major city

I think you are starting to approach the issues to correct them. You give your employees/managers a lot of latitude, however, I think a large portion of the marketing group needs additional training.

A great place to work

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Marion, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Marion, IL

I worked at J.B. Hunt

Pros

I worked in the offices at a dedicated contract services account as an Operations Supervisor, and was the only JBH employee on-site. I was very satisfied with the flexibility given to me in my position, as well as the compensation and benefits. My manager(s) were all very professional and courteous.

Cons

I never really had a true downside, but I was on midnight shift. This sometimes complicated how and when to contact someone for assistance in the event of a PC issue or otherwise.

I have no advice to offer. JB Hunt was a fantastic company to work for, and I would gladly work for them again in the future.

a strong secure diverse company that treats drivers well

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at J.B. Hunt

Pros

jb hunt seems to care about their drivers. a large variety of benefit packages to meet most needs. they are diversifying into different areas of trucking ie. intermodal, dedicated, regional. the equipment is new and well-maintained. a strong emphasis is placed on compliance and safety.

Cons

trucking is trucking, long days, ups and downs in freight, dispatchers who do not know trucking and so on and so forth. jb seems to become more corporate the higher you go up the chain of command. generic answers to non-generic issues seems to be the norm once an issue leaves the region and is contemplated at headquarters

keep on being on the cutting edge of the industry. a well-compensated driver is a safe driver. take driver feedback to heart, we are the front line of the company and sometimes foresee problems before they occur. fight the unions to the end. we all pay enough already for taxes and benefits without having to pay union fat cats as well

Tractor Mechanic

Current Employee - Diesel Mechanic Journeyman in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Diesel Mechanic Journeyman in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at J.B. Hunt

Pros

Growing company with steady work. Good pay to qualified mechanics. Pretty good benefits except for 1. Good work hours.

Cons

They hire to many unqualified people just to fill openings and too many lazy employees. Health care benefits suck.

Make health care benefits much cheaper for employees. Need to provide better training to some of the employees.

awesome

Former Freelancer - Janitor in Austin, TX
    Former Freelancer - Janitor in Austin, TX

I worked at J.B. Hunt (more than a year)

Pros

money mula dinero pesos pound yen dinar euro

Cons

smelly work environment; closed floor plan; soap always empty and towels are on the fritz.

great leadership

Definitely better than most trucking companies

Current Employee - Local Inter-modal Class A Driver in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Local Inter-modal Class A Driver in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at J.B. Hunt

Pros

The pay is good even when it's slow. Easy to make $1000/week for a 5 day work week. You keep an activity sheet and you calculate your pay at the end of everyday. it averages $220/day if you're willing to put in 12 hours a day. Management is good. Definitely a friendly atmosphere. Really lenient on changing shifts or needing days off. Generally a good company to work for if you're a decent, hard worker.

Cons

Benefits are very expensive. They assign you a truck but you share it and sometimes they aren't done with their shift when it's time for yours so you have to walk the terminal searching for a loaner for the day (doesn't sound bad but it's annoying when you're in a hurry), you WILL start offun graveyard. Everything JB Hunt does is based off seniority so all the good shifts go to the drivers who have been there for years. I've met people that have been there for 5 years and are still on the graveyard Shift. The seniority thing also gets annoying because if you request a day off a couple weeks in advance but if someone who has been there longer than you requests the same day they won't give it to you. LONG HOURS TO MAKE GOOD MONEY. 14 hours a day is not uncommon to make $ 200.

Petter pay packages so we don't have to burn ourselves out working 12-14 hours a day. Cheaper benefits would be nice too $160/week for a family is outrageous.

Optimistic, but losing hope

Current Employee - Freight Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Freight Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're solo, it's great.

Cons

My personal manager is horrible.

Respect your drivers.