J. C. Penney

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.0 1,887 reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

Pros
  • It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount(in 143 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Non-existent work/life balance, no consistency of store operating policy throughout each location(in 41 reviews)

• They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card(in 76 reviews)

1,887 Employee Reviews

They have forgotten who they are.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsOther than inventory, the hours are steady and it is easy to get on a set schedule. The work load isn't difficult.

ConsAs a company, they don't know what they are or what they want to be. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Store management tells you to do things one way, but then the higher ups will come in and tell you to do everything different.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page. Set clear goals and objectives, then train your team to help achieve those goals.

Enjoy my job.

Sales Assoxiate (Current Employee) Sanford, NC

ProsNice people. Enjoy one to one with customer.

ConsPoor pay, never know what you schedule or hours will be.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward more.

Job Experience

ProsGreat programs for customer service associates. Bonus for charge applications taken, catalog referrals, jewelry service contracts etc.

ConsHard to get time off, excessive work and not enough man hours allotted to complete required sets and new programs

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomer always is first. Every associate is required to put the customer first which sometimes leaves very little time to complete tasks or department sets

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loss prevention

Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI really enjoyed my work experience and co-workers. My supervisors expectations were clearly out lined and were very consistent through out the company.

ConsTraining was weak, but the learning curve was pretty generous. Most of the training was "on the job". The Holiday schedule was ridiculous, but then again it is retail.

Good Starter Job

Loss Prevention (Former Employee)

ProsWork life balance is the best part of working in management at JCP.

ConsBenefits are very bad, pay is sub par, HQ is clueless as to how the stores perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to store leadership, limit tasks to allow more time to focus on the customer.

Worked in IT for the .com group. Was a great company to work for before Rob Johnson. Hope it will be again.

Software Engineer II (Former Employee) Plano, TX

Pros- When I worked there (pre Rob Johnson), the vacation was amazing. I was up to 5 weeks JUST for vacation.
    - Being sick didn't count towards it. In fact, they didn't even count it unless you seemed to be abusing it.
    - Working from home was not an issue. If you didn't have any important meetings, I could just let my manager know I was working from home. They only cared about if you got your job done. Other than that, they treated you like a professional and trusted your judgement.
    - You could make many career moves over the years without having to leave the company.
    - The believed strongly in work/life balance. I had my share of long days, but management was always open to giving you comp days or something to make up for it.

ConsThe building is really pretty and filled with plants, but because it's so spread out it takes a while to get from one meeting to the next. They could be on opposite sides of the building - about a 15 minute walk.

Advice to Senior ManagementMike Ullman is a great leader and I wish him the best as he works to bring the company back. Remember the customer always and work to please them and get them in the door. The rest will take care of itself. ALSO: remember your hard-working employees who implement your ideas. Hire the best and let them do their job.

It was a very great experience

Customer Service Sales Associate (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsGood Management
    People friendly
    Rewards for employees

ConsSchedules until late at night

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexible with schedules specially considering that the Family it is very important!

Fine Jewelry Expert (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat associate discount. Great morale when I first started but lacked tremendously throughout the year.

ConsLack of leadership in management. I believe the morale starts from the top and then trickles down to their employees. When employees visibly see the lack of leadership, organization, unfriendliness, amongst their managers its hard to keep a great face on when the leaders are not. High employee turnover. I was there for a year and in my particular department we had 3 managers in that year. I don't understand when you have managers in training or a least our store did and they are and have been loyal to the company and have put in there time and have all the knowledge of the management tasks and get encouraged to apply to open positions an get overlooked by someone from a totally different store or didn't even give them the interview when they were signed up for an interview. Plus I totally disagree with the fine jewelry department in charge of answering phones. Out of all the rules and policies we had on safety and loss prevention i can't believe the jewlelry department would have the responsibility to answer the phones for the whole store when we are showing diamonds, watches, and other fine jewelry in the cases. When you have to stop to answer the phone and you are trying to make a sale, one loses whatever rapport was built in that time by answering the phone or to TAKE MESSAGES for other departments. If being a secretary was in the criteria in being a fine jewelry expert there should have been more compensation for all of those duties. Answering phones, taking messages, looking up dot com orders, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe once JCP is able to find themselves there true mission and vision and goal that they can get back on top. The focus was everywhere this past year. I believe upper management/corporate should listen to their employees that work the floor daily because we are the ones first hand experiencing the backlash, the pros and cons of what works and what does not work.

Fine for extra money

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFast hiring process. Meeting new people.

ConsChanging shift schedules. Late night/weekend work. Cleaning up the women's department (always looks like a tornado went through there).

I found the experience to be educational.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Elkhart, IN

ProsGood atmosphere. Management is accessible.

ConsNot easily promoted. Department relocation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeeper assessment of employees and their abilities.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!