J. C. Penney

3.0 1,857 reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

1,857 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount"
    in 131 reviews
  • "Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hours reduction, and work life balance were the two main things impacted"
    in 38 reviews
  • "They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card"
    in 74 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

kinda bad

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Round Rock, TX

Prosdiscount, hours were decent could be better

Consnot enough hours, money running out

Great staff loved store

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfun environment and great team members

Consmanagement changes, misdirection between staff and management

My experience was in the beginning very good. I enjoyed my co-workers, met my best friend there 5 1/2yrs ago!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Albany, GA

ProsPay ws just above minimum wage then of 7.50 (6yras ago). As a sales associate you meet all types of people everyday which makes it fun, interesting. Even the staff are from all walks of life. A lazy worker mindset wont get u far in the sales industry if you seek promotions. They strive for performance everyday, introducing new inventory and technology to work with. Get to know your department is key!

ConsDont expect to have a se schedule, your shift will vary week to week. You must be flexible, especially during the holidays. Weekend work will be required depending on your job title. There are sales goals in which you are expected to meet. Wear comfortable shoes. Last i heard, if your not in mangement, a supervisor and are hired as part-time associate status,( never allowed more than 30hrs/wk), there may be very little ins offered and building up vac time is a thing of the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen leading your team, never lead your team....if you lead with respect for them, they will respect you and your vision. But at the same time stay a step ahead of the games and stay firm and fair.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Seasonal Job!

Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Hays, KS

ProsThe job has really good incentives and employee discounts. During the Christmas time, they had a Christmas party for all employees and allowed us to bring our families and let us shop with our families and our family got discounts as well! For a seasonal job for holiday money, I couldn't of had a better experience.

ConsI don't have any negatives

Maybe all corporations are like this --

Art Director (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

Pros25% discount at JCPenney stores. Get to wear whatever you want to work. The Home Office is located near good schools, and nice housing.

ConsUsed to be a stable company to work at, not anymore. Constant layoffs. Big ones every year and individual layoffs throughout the year. Have gotten rid of everyone over 50, so you will not retire here, unless you are a director or VP, then maybe. The Marketing Dept. was a frustrating, stressful place to work. It was hard to take any days off. Just when the work load gets normal, there are more layoffs, and then not enough people to do the work. It was hard to please anyone with your work - things picked apart. There is too much input from too many people at different levels on each project, which generates a lot of changes, and therefore inefficiencies. The merchants have some control over Marketing, so money is constantly being wasted, yet we got no raises for years. The CEO is constantly hiring new VPs or promoting people to VP, yet the excuse for no raise is always that the company is not doing well.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the Allen Questrom strategy. He got rid of a lot of the layers of management and kept associates who worked over those who attended meetings as their job. More and more upper management doesn't seem to be solving any of the companies problems, just costing money.

It's getting better.

Home Commisioned Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsFrom my experience working at JCPenney has been overall okay. If one cares about their job and provides ideas to problem solve, it is usually met with recognition and acknowledgement which creates a better working environment. For non-seasonal part time individuals, there is a sense of job security that makes it comfortable working at JCP. Commission positions were recently reinstated in many departments, and leadership seems geared to handling any issues that arise with commission sales within the department. Credit Applications are a standard at JCP, but have many benefits to my customers. The standard is challenging but not unrealistic. Training for specialized areas is thorough, but not complete, letting individual contribution to creating solutions for every day problems. There is an open door policy that makes communication with management inviting. The non retaliation policy creates accountability with leadership and team members. Recently "Town Hall" meetings have been held to ensure each individual associate has the opportunity in a safe open forum to express their concerns. Each concern is addressed and a solution is created. Individual coaching is applied by leadership that evaluates where each person in the JCPenney team is at and where they could be, which is a positive and uplifting experience. 25%+ discount on almost all products and services sold by JCP.

ConsConsidering the many changes that JCPenney has gone through with the different CEO's and restructuring of leadership, the company has asked a lot from it's associates. Many of us stuck through it and have been able to hold our own, but there is very little appreciation expressed by any level of the company. We hear more from management, complaints and stories about how the company isn't what it used to be, and blame towards the previous CEO that transfers to the individuals working below leadership. The computers and registers are more technically advanced than many other retailers, but they are new software on old machines. They are slowly updating them which is fine, but corporate IT seems unfocused, unorganized, and often unhelpful. The answer to most issues is a 3 hour rebuild of the machines which doesn't actually solve the problem always. Corporate communications, signage and pricing, both for store operations and public are full of mistakes and are careless. At registers we might have 4 or 5 disclaimers stating wrong pricing and information in advertisements. The attitudes of leadership resonates them feeling overworked, and under appreciated. The business culture of customer service is outlined clearly by corporate but is rarely present in the day to day work experience at JCP.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I care, the experience for my customers will be that much better. Make the work environment better not just for the sake of individual associates, but for the customers as well. All in all, it's the individual responsibility of each team member to make the environment great for themselves, but if JCP is not willing to support and take responsibility as well... What's the point? Check communications before they are sent out at a national level. It tells me that those in those positions don't care enough to have their work in excellence, which sends out a vibe of unprofessionalism. Live in possibility, I hear too much that something can't be done, that balance can't be created, but all I am hearing is cop outs and excuses, which translates to leadership not being committed to the success of the company.

If you do what you're told, get the job done, and exceed the company's expectations, you'll get noticed and rewarded.

Eau Claire, WI

ProsGreat management team (at least in my store), great associate discount, lots of opportunities to excel and prove yourself.

ConsSo-so pay, hours can be erratic, corporate direction can turn on a dime weekly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStabilize the company, increase pay, and give more control back to individual stores.

Sales Associate

Hiram, GA

ProsIt is a great company to work for and all the people are really nice.

ConsSometimes the hours aren't the greatest.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have a suggestion box.

Typical Retail Experience

Janesville, WI

ProsYou meet a lot of great people working retail, and it's a fun environment to work in. JCPenney has a nice employee discount and you get to use all the coupons that customers can use.

ConsWorking in retail means long hours and often times cranky customers. There is little opportunity to advance in the company as most managers keep their positions for a long time. Minimum wage.
    A lot of customers are disappointed with JCPenney because of the changes they made last year, and the company is having a hard time coming back from that.

Great Managers and Team Support in salon

Senior Stylist (Current Employee)
    Topeka, KS

ProsThe Managers are very informative and knowledgeable about their position as well as their team members. The salon has great product and training classes. It has a built in clientele, which makes it great to start building your own clientele.
    Have monthly productivity reviews for each stylist.
    Get a great discuont in store and at Sephora.
    Flexible for home/work-life balance.

ConsWe didn't have a salon manager for about 5 months.
    The computer system needs major updating.
    We need more training offered in closer locations.
    They hire a lot of stylists back to back which can make building your clientele a little harder and to make commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf hiring a stylist right out of school or with only a couple years experience give them a few months to take the walk-ins before hiring another stylist, so they have a better chance at succeeding. It can be very frustrating when competing for clients and being on commission.
    I would also like to see us get a percentage of Retail commission as well, which would be a huge incentive to sell more.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J. C. Penney CEO Mike Ullman. All 1,857 reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees.