J. C. Penney

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.0 1,894 reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

Pros
  • It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount(in 143 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Non-existent work/life balance, no consistency of store operating policy throughout each location(in 41 reviews)

• They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card(in 76 reviews)

1,894 Employee Reviews

It was a very great experience

Customer Service Sales Associate (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsGood Management
    People friendly
    Rewards for employees

ConsSchedules until late at night

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexible with schedules specially considering that the Family it is very important!

Fine Jewelry Expert (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat associate discount. Great morale when I first started but lacked tremendously throughout the year.

ConsLack of leadership in management. I believe the morale starts from the top and then trickles down to their employees. When employees visibly see the lack of leadership, organization, unfriendliness, amongst their managers its hard to keep a great face on when the leaders are not. High employee turnover. I was there for a year and in my particular department we had 3 managers in that year. I don't understand when you have managers in training or a least our store did and they are and have been loyal to the company and have put in there time and have all the knowledge of the management tasks and get encouraged to apply to open positions an get overlooked by someone from a totally different store or didn't even give them the interview when they were signed up for an interview. Plus I totally disagree with the fine jewelry department in charge of answering phones. Out of all the rules and policies we had on safety and loss prevention i can't believe the jewlelry department would have the responsibility to answer the phones for the whole store when we are showing diamonds, watches, and other fine jewelry in the cases. When you have to stop to answer the phone and you are trying to make a sale, one loses whatever rapport was built in that time by answering the phone or to TAKE MESSAGES for other departments. If being a secretary was in the criteria in being a fine jewelry expert there should have been more compensation for all of those duties. Answering phones, taking messages, looking up dot com orders, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe once JCP is able to find themselves there true mission and vision and goal that they can get back on top. The focus was everywhere this past year. I believe upper management/corporate should listen to their employees that work the floor daily because we are the ones first hand experiencing the backlash, the pros and cons of what works and what does not work.

Fine for extra money

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFast hiring process. Meeting new people.

ConsChanging shift schedules. Late night/weekend work. Cleaning up the women's department (always looks like a tornado went through there).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Starter Job

Loss Prevention (Former Employee)

ProsWork life balance is the best part of working in management at JCP.

ConsBenefits are very bad, pay is sub par, HQ is clueless as to how the stores perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to store leadership, limit tasks to allow more time to focus on the customer.

I found the experience to be educational.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Elkhart, IN

ProsGood atmosphere. Management is accessible.

ConsNot easily promoted. Department relocation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeeper assessment of employees and their abilities.

not too bad!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsPositive environment and great people to work with

ConsCompensation might not be too satisfying

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more communication and structure

Not a bad first job--but little opportunity for growth.

Customer Service Sales Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI enjoyed most of my co-workers and supervisors. The team work was a pro in my department. I am still friends with some of my former co-workers. The hours were flexible and training was good.

ConsI started in 2007 right before the economy crashed. This was challenging for everyone in terms of staffing and pay. I finally left after 4 years because I did not earn enough raises. I over the course of 4 years my pay only increased by 0.82 cents per hour. This was disappointing and I did not feel the company truly valued me or anyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kind and thankful to your employees--part of the reason I stayed with JCP for so long was because I had a good relationship with my supervisor. Also, make sure to train your employees properly and do not assume they know/don't know.

Store Leader

ProsGreat pay, benefits and people

ConsHolidays and amount of change

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on engaging associate level when performing store visits, taking the time to visit with them for 15-20 minutes will give a better insight of what's going on and to hear good feedback from them.

Great experience learning from experienced managers

Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee) Spanish Fork, UT

ProsWork with lots of people and learn management skills from people who have been in the company a long time.

ConsA little early start time, but it is nice to beat rush hour both in the morning and in the evening.

Nice company to work for.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC

ProsI worked at J.C. Penney in North Carolina and the staff and management were very professional.

ConsThe only con was low pay.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!