J. C. Penney

3.0 1,857 reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

1,857 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount"
    in 131 reviews
  • "Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hours reduction, and work life balance were the two main things impacted"
    in 38 reviews
  • "They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card"
    in 74 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

constantly changing

Department Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Bradley, IL

Prosvacation benefits, flexible hours, lots of internal rewards

Conslow pay, blackout dates during, holidays as expected in the retail environment

Advice to Senior ManagementLess upper management meetings

At Jcpenney, I'm a sales associates where I do customer service

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Wellington, FL

ProsIt's great enviroment where the managers are friendly and respectful. Coworkers are also friendly.

ConsThe schedules are not balance or consistent. it doesn't support a good work/life balance.

I enjoyed working with customers, and was able to hone my skills.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Concord, NC

ProsExcellent employee discounts and enjoyed shopping and wearing their products. I was able to utilized my communication skills and definitely improved my customer service skills. The job is fine for a second job where you are not concerned about benefits.

ConsThere really are no promotions that are worth the pay. The pay is low and compensation isn't worth the irregular hours. You are unable to get a get schedule which would enable you to go to school or get a second job to make up for lack of pay. You don't work enough hours to afford health benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a steady and dependable crew with set hours which help to build moral. Understanding that work hours are needed to affords health benefits.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has a great discount and friendly managers!

JC Penney Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsTHE DISCOUNT is Amazing!
    Lots of interactions with different types of people helped me grow in customer service skills.
    And you knew about clearance, sales and coupons before anyone else.

ConsThey can't keep employees very long and are too lenient on how many "sick days". They had just changed the policy on sick days but I see them doing nothing with serial callers. Leaves the people who don't call in sick feeling frustrated with extra work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something, please about workers who call in sick too often.

Different

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Wheaton, MD

ProsYou learn a lot about the real world and how to provide better customer service

Consyou have to get off late . There's no such thing as a recovery team that comes in after associates leave the store when it closes.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more employees on the sales floor and monitor them..

Learn to be self-sustaining.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
    Lombard, IL

ProsA casual environment with an employee discount. Promotions fairly available; if you put in the hard work and have the drive to manage on a variety of tasks.

ConsEvery store is different, but lack of staff had been an issue when working there. It was pretty obvious those who were able to open credit cards got more hours; whether or not they worked well/at all, sometimes didn't seem to matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees/customers, set goals, BE INVOLVED with your team, and learn your dept. Understand the difference between managing and just delegating.

The company went down the drain in one day.

Fine Jewelry Expert (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsDepending on where you are, the atmosphere can be very positive, employee discounts are nice, good hours during the holiday season.

ConsUnrealistic expectations for sales goals, crappy customers, overall bad attitude of a lot of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making changes in the company that are not necessary! The company is eventually going to go under, so do what is most important, TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES!

The company is failing and the store manager makes a poor job, a miserable place to be.

Support Specialist (Current Employee)
    Gastonia, NC

ProsThe best part, and sometimes the only good part of the job is the 25% employee discount. When you combine that with clearance marked down to $6.97, $3.97 and less you can get a lot of clothes for very little money. Best buy: $38 dress I bought for 45 cents.

ConsThe store manager is more concerned with making her bonuses than the actual running of the store. If there is an extra bonus for her is the store reached it's goal for say gift cards then that was what was pushed. Next week when that promotion was over you never heard gift cards mentioned again. On one occasion she kept ranting "I don't understand why this is taking so long." Over and over, but every time I tried to explain why, she would cut me off and tell me to go do ABC. She'd follow me to ABC to again "I don't understand." When again I tried to explain, she snapped and told me to do XYZ just a minute later. It gets to the point where just hearing her voice turns my stomach. She's driven off dozens of long time employees and I'm right behind them
    On a corporate level, the company is wasting a great amount of time and resources printing shipping and replacing price signs when the prices don't change. Super coupons and other sales that just aren't a good value to the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the store manager or keep replacing valuable employees. Very negative environment.

Horrible

Senior Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Forest Park, GA

ProsNothing company is going downhill fast

Conseverything this is not a place to work

Advice to Senior Managementshutdown

Lots of favoritism

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsEasy hiring process and great HR

ConsSome workers received favoritism while others were treated worse.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J. C. Penney CEO Mike Ullman. All 1,857 reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees.