J. C. Penney

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.0 1,909 reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

Pros
  • It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount(in 146 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season(in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons(in 43 reviews)

• They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card(in 77 reviews)

1,909 Employee Reviews

Nice company to work for.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC

ProsI worked at J.C. Penney in North Carolina and the staff and management were very professional.

ConsThe only con was low pay.

Great experience learning from experienced managers

Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee) Spanish Fork, UT

ProsWork with lots of people and learn management skills from people who have been in the company a long time.

ConsA little early start time, but it is nice to beat rush hour both in the morning and in the evening.

Great Work life Balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

Pros"9 to 5" schedule. They are pretty flexible if need be to accommodate things that come up as long as you can make up the time and get your job done. Appreciation is given for hard work. Many people here for 20+ years.

Consnot much in the way of growth for money or career path progression unless moving to management. No work from home days.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's getting better.

Home Commisioned Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsFrom my experience working at JCPenney has been overall okay. If one cares about their job and provides ideas to problem solve, it is usually met with recognition and acknowledgement which creates a better working environment. For non-seasonal part time individuals, there is a sense of job security that makes it comfortable working at JCP. Commission positions were recently reinstated in many departments, and leadership seems geared to handling any issues that arise with commission sales within the department. Credit Applications are a standard at JCP, but have many benefits to my customers. The standard is challenging but not unrealistic. Training for specialized areas is thorough, but not complete, letting individual contribution to creating solutions for every day problems. There is an open door policy that makes communication with management inviting. The non retaliation policy creates accountability with leadership and team members. Recently "Town Hall" meetings have been held to ensure each individual associate has the opportunity in a safe open forum to express their concerns. Each concern is addressed and a solution is created. Individual coaching is applied by leadership that evaluates where each person in the JCPenney team is at and where they could be, which is a positive and uplifting experience. 25%+ discount on almost all products and services sold by JCP.

ConsConsidering the many changes that JCPenney has gone through with the different CEO's and restructuring of leadership, the company has asked a lot from it's associates. Many of us stuck through it and have been able to hold our own, but there is very little appreciation expressed by any level of the company. We hear more from management, complaints and stories about how the company isn't what it used to be, and blame towards the previous CEO that transfers to the individuals working below leadership. The computers and registers are more technically advanced than many other retailers, but they are new software on old machines. They are slowly updating them which is fine, but corporate IT seems unfocused, unorganized, and often unhelpful. The answer to most issues is a 3 hour rebuild of the machines which doesn't actually solve the problem always. Corporate communications, signage and pricing, both for store operations and public are full of mistakes and are careless. At registers we might have 4 or 5 disclaimers stating wrong pricing and information in advertisements. The attitudes of leadership resonates them feeling overworked, and under appreciated. The business culture of customer service is outlined clearly by corporate but is rarely present in the day to day work experience at JCP.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I care, the experience for my customers will be that much better. Make the work environment better not just for the sake of individual associates, but for the customers as well. All in all, it's the individual responsibility of each team member to make the environment great for themselves, but if JCP is not willing to support and take responsibility as well... What's the point? Check communications before they are sent out at a national level. It tells me that those in those positions don't care enough to have their work in excellence, which sends out a vibe of unprofessionalism. Live in possibility, I hear too much that something can't be done, that balance can't be created, but all I am hearing is cop outs and excuses, which translates to leadership not being committed to the success of the company.

Great company to grow your career

ProsThe Loss Prevention department of JCPenney has ample opportunities for associates to grow their career. Mentorships, Leadership development programs and great leaders foster an environment for up and coming leaders to learn and grow.

ConsTechnology is behind compared to other retailers. Pay is considered to be on the low end compared to other companies in the loss prevention field.

Great for retail

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Marcos, TX

ProsLoved working here
    Great culture
    Great Co-workers
    Great Bosses
    I'm sure the company culture varies from location to location a bit but everyone I worked with was super friendly and most of my closest friends now were once my coworkers at JCP!

ConsPay is low for the work. However, it is retail and they do pay more than minimum wage in comparison to other department stores I've worked at.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your target market and current company culture before making huge decisions. Doing things too soon too fast turned into nightmare with former CEO, Ron Johnson.

kinda bad

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Round Rock, TX

Prosdiscount, hours were decent could be better

Consnot enough hours, money running out

It was great

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Pembroke Pines, FL

ProsYou are learn how to lead people.

ConsWork/life balance is a challenge

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more people

Overall, a pleasant company to work for -- the hours are manageable as are the responsibilities.

Human Resources Leader (Current Employee) Leominster, MA

Prosthe salary is nice especially for retail management, work life balance also much better than previous retail management experience.

Consno major cons--I lived far from store location but I knew that upon accepting position

Great team but management needs improvement

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

ProsOur team at the jcpenney worked really well together and we were supportive to each other.

ConsManagement is not nearly strict enough, they are playing around sometimes in the work place, and there's a rule where we can't purchase while working, a couple of them do it quite a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisors and management need to be revised and trained to keep objectives in line more.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!