J. C. Penney

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.0 1,904 reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

Pros
  • It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount(in 143 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Non-existent work/life balance, no consistency of store operating policy throughout each location(in 41 reviews)

• They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card(in 76 reviews)

1,904 Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working with customers, and was able to hone my skills.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Concord, NC

ProsExcellent employee discounts and enjoyed shopping and wearing their products. I was able to utilized my communication skills and definitely improved my customer service skills. The job is fine for a second job where you are not concerned about benefits.

ConsThere really are no promotions that are worth the pay. The pay is low and compensation isn't worth the irregular hours. You are unable to get a get schedule which would enable you to go to school or get a second job to make up for lack of pay. You don't work enough hours to afford health benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a steady and dependable crew with set hours which help to build moral. Understanding that work hours are needed to affords health benefits.

At Jcpenney, I'm a sales associates where I do customer service

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) Wellington, FL

ProsIt's great enviroment where the managers are friendly and respectful. Coworkers are also friendly.

ConsThe schedules are not balance or consistent. it doesn't support a good work/life balance.

constantly changing

Department Supervisor (Current Employee) Bradley, IL

Prosvacation benefits, flexible hours, lots of internal rewards

Conslow pay, blackout dates during, holidays as expected in the retail environment

Advice to Senior ManagementLess upper management meetings

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has a great discount and friendly managers!

JC Penney Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsTHE DISCOUNT is Amazing!
    Lots of interactions with different types of people helped me grow in customer service skills.
    And you knew about clearance, sales and coupons before anyone else.

ConsThey can't keep employees very long and are too lenient on how many "sick days". They had just changed the policy on sick days but I see them doing nothing with serial callers. Leaves the people who don't call in sick feeling frustrated with extra work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something, please about workers who call in sick too often.

Learn to be self-sustaining.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Lombard, IL

ProsA casual environment with an employee discount. Promotions fairly available; if you put in the hard work and have the drive to manage on a variety of tasks.

ConsEvery store is different, but lack of staff had been an issue when working there. It was pretty obvious those who were able to open credit cards got more hours; whether or not they worked well/at all, sometimes didn't seem to matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees/customers, set goals, BE INVOLVED with your team, and learn your dept. Understand the difference between managing and just delegating.

All behind the seens you schedule 150 associates do payroll interview and hire and conduct orientation

Human Resources Supervisor (Current Employee) Fenton, MO

ProsGreat to have the hr title on your resume

ConsWork schedule is horrible u rotate with other supervisor and its extremely hardask off or even use your paid time off

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more recognition for progress someone has made and accomplishments needs to have more training to those who truely want to grow

"Decent First job"

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Roseville, CA

Proslenient on policies, friendly environment, bonuses, commissions.

Consterrible management, too much gossiping and secrets.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional. Please.

Company out of control

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsMet some nice co-workers in orientation and on the sales floor, and gained some work experience with the POS system. Most of the customers I met were a joy to talk to and definitely brightened up each day.

ConsSevere miscommunication between management and staff. Management messed up within my first week and had written my hours down as something different than what the computer said, causing a huge problem on my first day. I was placed in a specific department but was moved around nearly every day to departments that required extra training (though I was given none.) Management yelled at myself and two other girls in my department in front of several customers over an issue with the mobile POS system that turned out to be a system malfunction. On Black Friday, a young girl in the department I was placed in was so frazzled from the amount of disorganization at our station that she burst into tears and was told to suck it up. Often times I was left alone at a station with long lines and when I called for back-up, no one would help (even the several managers who walked by.) If you don't push enough credit apps, good luck, because you'll definitely hear about it. Very stressful expectations for low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are not robots, and for that matter, neither are your customers. It's harder than you think to push credit cards to customers which will cost them, while at the same time taking (and in many cases, offering) coupons for such-and-such off of their purchase. Times are tough and financial hardship is a problem in many families, especially with credit card debt. With all of the problems this company has had with retaining customers, management and CEO's, this is a rough time to be pushing credit apps on unsuspecting consumers. Being paid minimum wage or slightly above just to be treated like garbage by management just because you didn't meet their quota is ridiculous.

LOW PAY

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsLoved the people i worked with, for the most part.

Consno chance of going up the ladder or moving up. No raises.

Waco JCPenney

ProsOnly good thing about working here is that the work was easy

ConsWorking here was horrible because there was such a big mess at the end of the day and none of the day employees even tired to help clean the place up. It would be around midnight before I got home

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!