J. C. Penney

Updated Apr 19, 2014

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

J.C. Penny Salon was a fun place to work, where I got to learn along the way.

Hair Stylist (Former Employee)
Staten Island, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat atmosphere, and the option of health insurance. They educated us on new styles.

ConsTheir business slowed down, and I didn't get my job back after I was out from an injury to my ankle.

Bad experience, quit. Garden city, New York

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Garden City, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

Pros25% discount plus whatever coupon they have that day. Interacting with customers. A few good co workers.

ConsRude Managers force you to get credit aps and if they don't they look down on you and constantly bother you. Favoritism, pay is not worth it, always switching your department, constantly watch you, drama among co workers, even if you call out they still mark you absent. Not a great company to work for. Go crazy for customer reviews Good for a first job expect a lot of work from you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the good work from employees not only from reviews or credit.

they pocket the money in order not to give hours to the associates and the management in Manhattan Mall is the worst

Associate (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI cannot even give apro to JC Penney , don't know why they say is a good company to work.

ConsThey promote manager and supervisors that do not have the proper education to hold a job a a supervisor or manager. A manager has to have psycology education and bachelor degree in order to understand an employee and know how to solve a problem. They don't even know the employment rules and don't have knowledge in Marketing neither in fashion. Among all them I think there is only one guy that has education and is bilingual and that guys knows about fashion very well and marketing and works very well with the customers. In this store they mistreat the employees, alway use and abuse of them when is Hollyday after that they cut the hours with the scuse that they don't have a budget, but in March they did a financial report that they had a 2 billion profits , so how come is that that they don't have a budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to college and get some psycology classes and also in management , fashion and marketing
Becuase you don't know S about anything

Horrible

Door to Floor (Former Employee)
Eatontown, NJ

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

ProsHonestly I can't think of one reason why i would recommend this company to anyone. I don't think I would even recommend them to my worst enemy.

ConsHorrible management and awful workplace environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not overlook employees who work hardest for your company. Horrible decision makers and do not know how to run a business. Its horrible the way this company is. The only time the company cares about their employees is when the higher up managers come to walk the store. This was my experience in the eatontown store in new jersey. While I worked there I actually wished they would go out of business.

Company only appears to be rebounding towards good health.

Bronx, NY

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat coworkers and employee discount.

ConsThe pay is terrible, constantly understaffed, the non-consideration of employees, the inconsistency of hours, the emphasis on credit applications and that they correlate to how many hours employees receive, a strong corporate culture, severe lack of communication, supply chain issues (difficulty keeping shelves stocked), the corporate buyer in Texas demonstrates a lack of knowledge on the rate of sale, mobile poses are lacking, new attendance policy is problematic.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate better and more. Listen to employees instead of only listening to the customers. Granted the company is doing better than it was, but it still has a long way to go. Sincerely appreciating employees goes a long way.

A hidden Gem of retail stores.

Service Specialist (Current Employee)
Wayne, NJ

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

ProsGood employee discount, flexible hours, decent pay, great managers, cool employees.

ConsCustomers are spoiled with coupons, hours being cut after holidays, the pressure to get icaps, having to clean up a certain area by yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the great working rebuilding the integrity of this great company!

Excellent Training & current leadership

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat rewards for hard work and achieving goals

Consovercoming previous management changes, but return to new (old?) management looks promising

Advice to Senior ManagementRehire some of your previous managers that left due to problems with Ron Johnson's management style and the "yes men" he brought in with him!

Under Appreciated

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Queens Village, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's a good environment to work in because of the workers and some of the managers are great people if you get to know them.

ConsThey will over work you and under pay you when ever they want. I had an performance evaluation my manager and store manager had done. They wrote that I was hard working and knowledgeable but when it came to the raise it was only 10 cents. Working at the jewelry store during the summer was like hell because of the spotlights and lack of air conditioning. If you miss your sales goal for the month even if it was by a dollar they would crucify you.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees because they know what is going on in the sales floor.

Good company to relax in

Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany discount, freedom to do what you need to, camera systems, team size was adequate, good learning if you are a self motivator.

ConsCompany is going down, store management still has a huge say in LP activity even though it may not be good for business, little growth opportunity, no raises, no bonus potential, old covert camera equipment, LP leadership is old school, productivity is based on bodies and not quality of bodies.

-Company is a extremely disorganized, even prior to Ron Johnson
- Long time leadership are like in a clan that is impossible to penetrate
- financial stability of the company is in question
- Policies and procedures are almost non-existent, and the ones that are do not get enforced
- No raise for leadership in past three years
- Bonus structure sucks for management (unless you're a store manager)
- The old jcpenney people (prior to Ron Johnson) at all levels sabotaged the transformation and now are putting everything back to the way the company was
- Prior to Ron Johnson and now post-RJ, company refuses to update anything

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to instill job security in the culture and also needs to provide more growth opportunities. CEO needs to make employees more comfortable by not keeping secrets

its a job so be happy

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Elmhurst, NY

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time

Prosdecent pay, basic job, and annual raises, store manager cares deeply about all associates

Conslike any job this place is like a high school and has its own drama but stay out of it and you'll be ok

Advice to Senior Managementstay out of associates personal lives

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J. C. Penney CEO Mike Ullman. All 57 reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees.