J. C. Penney

J. C. Penney Reviews in Orlando, FL

Updated Jun 7, 2014

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

Pros
  • It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount(in 146 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season(in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons(in 43 reviews)

• They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card(in 77 reviews)

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not the same JCP I started with.

Management (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe people you work with make all the difference. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the brightest and most dedicated people I know. It takes true spirit to work in a retail environment, especially at the Store level.

ConsThe failed reorganization under Ron Johnson has put an incredible amount of stress on the team. From layoffs to lawsuits, the organization is facing an uphill battle.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the talent you let go under Ron Johnson. Get back to the basics and the customer will return.

HORRIBLE PLACE

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe job itself is not difficult to do.

ConsEVERYTHING! Pay, hours, communication, and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind another job!

My employment of 6 years at J. C. Penney has gone from great, to very unpleasant.

Different Every Few Weeks At This Point (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThere used to be a plethora of "Pros" to working at J. C. Penney. There was a family atmosphere where teamwork and the importance of customer service was the clear. The store culture was helpful, empowered and secure. My particular store at the Florida Mall in Orlando was a pleasure to work for, even to the point of looking forward to going to work. The compensation/benefits were competitive in each particular field, and home/work quality was fair as the staff was set to be flexible to its employees, a very valuable asset to me as I have been working towards my higher education while employed at J.C. Penney. Please read the "Cons" section before continuing reading the next portion of my "Pros" take.

The board at J.C. Penney has clearly learned valuable lessons from the Ron Johnson experiment as is evident from the perfect replacement of Bill Ackman, (founder and co-owner of Pershing Square Capital Management, a hedge fund, and J.C. Penney’s largest shareholder) with Ronald W. Tysoe, who has nearly 20 years of high-level executive leadership experience at Macy's Inc. Ackman stepped down after disputes with the Board of Directors over the ousting of Ron Johnson, which was likely due to his head role in bringing in Mr. Johnson as CEO. With Tysoe's veteran retail experience and knowledge at the largely successful Macy's Inc., you can expect that an effective, proven business strategy can begin to start J.C. Penney's turnaround to profitability again, and the ability to reinvest in badly needed personnel, infrastructure, and stability. The model looks very similar to what was in place before Mr. Johnson's changes, and that has clearly been what the customer has asked for, and in return for our compliance, they are beginning to show signs or returning.

ConsAs Ron Johnson took over as CEO and began implementing sweeping changes, clearly without researching the validity of his retail department store genre business model before hand, the company began to accrue sales losses so rapidly that personnel had to be drastically reduced causing an obvious loss of customer service, business process efficiency, and finally and most unfortunately, customer loyalty and patronage.

I actually feel that the direction to acquire a high-profile, highly sought after CEO with a near flawless business record was an aggressive, bold move that I was proud of J.C. Penney executive leadership in making. Unfortunately the vetting process either lacked in its thoroughness, or was left out utterly. The only other possible explanation (without the benefit having personally been privy to the process of acquiring Mr. Johnson) is that Ron Johnson simply failed in delivering success in his vision. I felt it was clear that even with more time, Mr. Johnson's original vision would not have found success regardless of the allotment of any further time period to so deliver it.

The consequences of the a fore mentioned "Cons" has been the loss of over 19,000 jobs. [Bhasin, Kim. "Stealth Layoffs At J.C. Penney, Reports Say." Business Insider. Mar 7th 2013. Aol Jobs. 8 Aug 2013] After 5 consecutive "All-Star" performance years of employment in the salon at J.C. Penney, my job as a Front Desk Sales and Reception associate was "redefined" and required that the individual be required to have a cosmetology license, which in fact was just another stealth layoff as the new licensed staff's compensation would be at $8.50/hr without commission. At the time of my position elimination, I was making a "benefit rate" of $15/hr or $8.75/hr + averaged 10% commission from the previous year and dependent on my personal sales performance incentive. In most cases, individual were separated from the company, however due to the much appreciated efforts of my store manager, the front desk staff were offered sales positions throughout the store albeit I had to absorb a cut in hours from 32 to anywhere from 18-24 hours a week, and my hourly rate drop to department max of $12/hr (again, due to the generous efforts of my store manager to retain my employment and even offer me my department's max compensation)

Those who have made it through the layoffs have seen their responsibilities increase by a factor of three to four, and in some cases far more. Stress levels and dissatisfaction are palpable, and moral is deplorable. No one feels secure in how many hours they will get till the week before, moreover whether or not they will even have a job. Clearly the stress is proving most challenging on individual store management. Respect, support, understanding, and flexibility has given way to narcissism, paranoia, disrespect, individualism and resentment. As a industrial/organizational psychology major at the major university in the area I did passive leadership assessment as a project in my measurements and assessments class in Spring '13 and found that the vast majority of individuals in a leadership position within the store landed in marginalized portions of their leadership personalities (most of which were the least effective leadership personalities to begin with) Micromanagement has replaced empowerment, which is a natural tendency when employment security is lost. Customer service becomes defunct as payroll deductions prevent effective staffing. The list goes on and on, however recently there have been clear signs of positive change, to which I would ask that you return to the "Pros" portion of my commentary where I will address those possibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementProven qualities/traits that stymie effective leadership: Incompetence, Rigidity, Intemperance/Critical, Callousness, Corruption, Narcissism, Malevolence.

Proven Qualities that nurture effective leadership: Integrity, Passion, Courage, Vision, Judgement, Empathy, Emotional Intelligence, and Flexibility.

One can inspire self-efficacy in others with respect and humility long before fear, dominance and authoritarianism.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The "New" JCP

Do Not Wish to Disclose (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsIt "used" to be a "caring, family" place to work

ConsNo hours, lots of recovery - for non-management

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice, "they" also feel the pain - blame it on the "New CEO" - Ron Johnson!

Fine jewelry position isn't enough to live on.

Fine Jewelry Specialist (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGood name recognition.
    Employee discount.
    Not too cut throat compared to other commission jobs.
    Nice jewelry for low prices.

ConsThe pay for a commission job is very low, you could never live on this job alone.
    The customers are... sorry to say this... lower class and extremely rude.
    The job has a huge amount of expectations and responsibilities... counting diamonds and solving issues with that, handling repairs, productivity and care plan quotas, changing batteries and fixing links on watches... and more.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be cheap with commission salespeople.

Makine a difference one customer at a time

Catalog/Customer Service (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsjCpenney management was easy to work with. Flexible scheduling allowed me more time with my family

ConsSome of the customers were not the friendliest to work with. Even though I tried to exhibit the best customer skills possible, sometimes nthing could satisfy them.

Advice to Senior Managementgreat job speaking with your employees, not at them.

An Okay Job

Catalog/Gift Wrap/Customer Service (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe discount was average. The employees themselves were very nice.

ConsWorking in customer service is a busy job. At times managers would leave you to work by self. Scheduling was unfairly done.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak to your employees not bark orders at them.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!