J. C. Penney

2,235 Reviews
2,235 Reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman
Mike Ullman

Pros
  • 20% employee discount on regular days- could be combined with coupon discounts (in 181 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons (in 54 reviews)

• Associates are essentially working for a credit card company, not a clothing company (in 101 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, MN

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule.
    If you work hard it's easy to get more hours if you need them.
    Nice management team

Cons

Rate of pay was low and it took a long time to get a decent rate of pay. Holiday hours until midnight were tough.

Work hard to pay the associates who work the hardest for you

It was an opportunity to increase my knowledge of what convenient store workers go through. It have me the opportunity to increase my people skills

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule if you're a college student.

Cons

Customers can be quite belligerent.

Teach workers how to handle belligerent customers not just managers

I really enjoyed this job

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the customers were nice. Our store wasn't too busy that often with the exception of black friday and christmas eve. They actually provided catering for us on those two days.
    I was also in both college and a local play at the time and they were excellent at scheduling around that for me.
    In the case of irate customers who flipped out, they would escort them out of the store. Unlike when I worked at Walgreens where we were forced to endure it, and then be written up.

Cons

The bad thing about the store being slow meant that since I was hired seasonally, they didn't keep me. At our store, everyone who was hired seasonally and didn't have children were laid off. It took me 3 months to finally find another job.
    There were also a lot of gossip amongst employees. It was like high school all over again.

If you can, control the gossip. And keep some of us younger seasonal employees.

Sales

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

.3 % commission on sales. Nice co-workers. 25 % off through out store. Active job and a lot of face to face contact with costumers.

Cons

Schedule is not fixed so you can not get other job

Schedule based on a fix hours

Ehh

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Willow Grove, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Willow Grove, PA

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (more than an year)

Pros

discountdiscount is good and people are nice

Cons

hours are up and down and hardly any in January-February

Sephora inside JCP was an amazing career platform, but JCP itself could use some work

Former Employee - Sephora Senior Education Consultant SEC Assistant Manager in North Attleboro, MA

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

JCP: Corporate visits were frequent and they always stopped to chat with everyone and introduce themselves which boosted morale, morning meetings kept everyone in the loop and aware of what's going on in the store and what they're working towards for the day, great resources for associate concerns (anonymous lines, in-store HR manager, etc), customers always came first and this was backed by a goal # of incoming experience surveys every month with target scores to meet, very good health benefits after only 30 days

Sephora Inside JCP: amazing communication from field leaders keeping everyone in the know and extending the team work ethic from store level to district level, extensive educational tools available, lots of opportunities, generous pay brackets for each position, monthly bonuses depending on your store's success (for all associates, not just managers!)

Cons

JCP: all stores seem to have a bad rep for being gossippy and there isn't much being done about it, not very welcoming to SiJCPs despite major boost in fresh foot traffic

Sephora Inside JCP: Occasionally struggled with not being given enough payroll hours (had to really haul to take care of every client with little man-power), that's about it

More care could be taken to monitor and act on associate feedback regarding upper management

I love this job so much!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Farmington, NM
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Farmington, NM

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

there is so much opportunity to grow

Cons

rude customers, complicated customers, thats all

none

Over whelming

Former Employee - Merchandise Execution Leader in Boone, NC
    Former Employee - Merchandise Execution Leader in Boone, NC

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the employee discount is pretty well amazing. and you always know when the great sales are!! I got some of the nicest clothes for SO CHEAP thanks to working here. The PTO program is awesome. Even if your part time you can slowly earn pto hours. your work pays off. and if you express you want to stay there as a career, they will help you in progressing. they have programs you can be put in FREE.

Cons

i basically was the supervisor of all things "behind the scenes". They expected me, ONE PERSON, to do ALL OF IT. the whole idea of "family first" was non-existent at my location. I worked at a penneys out west and it was good about understanding that stuff happens. but at this last location, its all about work. the people were nice but they cared about the bottom line and you being at work. also certain managers are WAY TOO "buddy buddy" with the store manager. said supervisor thinks she's more than she is. it'll drive you insane very quickly.

that is TO MUCH WORK for one position. and please remember, associates do not appreciate seeing the store manager and the one supervisor ALWAYS together.. it is unfair and almost comes off as an intimidation tactic. not cool man.

I had a good experience

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

I liked to work there a lot

Cons

I didn't like working weekends

Relax a little

ok part time job for students

Former Employee - Cashier in Michigan City, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Michigan City, IN

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

friendly working environment, easy prompts

Cons

lack of training and less instruction provided for new people.