J. C. Penney Reviews

2,075 Reviews
2,075 Reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman
Mike Ullman

Pros
  • 20% employee discount on regular days- could be combined with coupon discounts (in 164 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons (in 50 reviews)

• Associates are essentially working for a credit card company, not a clothing company (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked for JcPenny for over a year; I enjoyed my job, my boss, the managers and my co workers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  McMinnville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in McMinnville, TN

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount, management, friendly co workers, clean enviroment.

Cons

No full time availability, no chance in moving up to a better, higher paying position.

J.C. Penney

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Montebello, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Montebello, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

Pros

What I really liked is that we got an Employee discount. One thing for sure is that I learned how to work on a fast pace seasonal and I learned a lot about customer service.

Cons

I worked seasonal. I loved seasonal because it got packed. But the staff were very competitive when it came up with getting bonuses. I was new so I was about to run a credit check for someone who wanted to get a JCP credit card. And even if they are not approved you still get a bonus for running it, but my team member snatched my customer after I already grabbed their ID. I was new so I was just taken back a little and let it slide. But the older team members did this to other new members that I thought was not very team effort.

My manager was not so nice with me. Every time I would run into him I would tell him good morning and he would respond, "You still work here?", Uhmm yeah that hurt my feelings but oh well you can't please everyone.

JCPenney Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Montclair, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Montclair, CA

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time for more than a year

Pros

What I like is the associate discount we get , which is %25 and %50 on select dates also known as "Friends and Family". All my co-workers are very nice and easy to get along with. The supervisors and managers all have different personalities and standards for us, but overall they're okay.

Cons

Some of the challenges I've personally experienced with the company are the work hours they give you. Also, when having trouble with a "problematic associate" they do nothing about it. Also, it seems that moving up the latter is quite difficult despite having the potential or experience to do so. It's more of who you know rather than what you know.

Listen and deal with associates requests with a more efficient and prolific manner.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

decent

Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

benefits are great and even offered to part time employees, scheduling can be consistent, fairness

Cons

there was department separation between Sephora inside JCP and the rest of the store, lack of communication, the random hours we were open were a waste of time and money

Some of the people were great to work with

Current Employee - Stocker  in  Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Stocker in Frisco, TX

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

friendly atmosphere, good discount, nice apparel

Cons

pay is not enough, management is clueless

Challenging work environment, environment is a priority, constantly changing but rewarding to see sales and profit rise

Current Employee - MEL  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - MEL in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You will work with a diverse group of peoples guided by your principles; loyal, tried and true.

Cons

Work/Life balance will be contingent on store manager. Constant floor changes with little benefit. Time spent readying for corporate walk throughs, always major changes just prior.

each store is its own self contained entity. the management staff dictates the store culture and morale. good staffs will achieve loyal associates with low turnover and a willingness to achieve goals. a bad staff will have action plans for every failed goal.

I love to hate my job

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

I have met the most wonderful people through out my time at JcPenney. There are people from all different walks of life that I would not have had the opportunity to get to know otherwise. This job is great because they are flexible with your schedule (permanent availability). The discount is awesome and it is easy to transfer to another store or get rehired if you leave on a good note.

Cons

There is a lot of instability with the company so some weeks ill have 3 shifts and other weeks 5. Some shifts are 9 hours and ill have another one that is 3. It is hard to plan around my work schedule because it changes every week. If you have weekend days in your availability be prepared to work the whole weekend every weekend. Although they are flexible with your permanent availability it is hard to find people to cover your shifts if you need an unexpected day off. It seems like they are always short staffed and will sometimes ask you to do things not in your job description.

Need to work on better scheduling.

Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plano, TX

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great discount
    Friendly co-workers
    Long-range stability
    Great Benefits (for full time workers)

Cons

Low pay
    Lack of raises
    Long hours
    Rude corporate

Do keep in mind that if you want good, reliable people to stay at the company for years you have to do two things: One, give people living wages. Several people in my store had not had a raise in three or more years, and the last raise was pennies. Nowadays most people will only work maybe one or two dollars more than their hiring rate several years after working at the company. Second, this company has got to stop keeping people 2-4 hours after closing! When I worked there it was not uncommon to be let go after midnight (the store closed at 9 pm), regardless on how slow or busy the store was. Often it will be 11pm and the supervisors will make us refold all the shirts in a department because of lack of crispy. Most of my co-workers were already working 40 hour jobs and had to get up at 6 am.

Fine

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Calumet City, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Calumet City, IL

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great if your work for anything other than retail.

Cons

They tend to work you like a slave. Especially during holiday season!

Add some incentives like bonus or serious overtime during holiday season!

Great starting job for retail.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere, great retail experience gained, friendly and patient coworkers.

Cons

Management didn't have a clue as to what they were doing half the time.

Don't let your favoritism show through too much.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!