J. C. Penney Reviews

2,063 Reviews
2,063 Reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman
Mike Ullman

Pros
  • 20% employee discount on regular days- could be combined with coupon discounts (in 160 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons (in 49 reviews)

• They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

J.C. Penney

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Montebello, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Montebello, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

Pros

What I really liked is that we got an Employee discount. One thing for sure is that I learned how to work on a fast pace seasonal and I learned a lot about customer service.

Cons

I worked seasonal. I loved seasonal because it got packed. But the staff were very competitive when it came up with getting bonuses. I was new so I was about to run a credit check for someone who wanted to get a JCP credit card. And even if they are not approved you still get a bonus for running it, but my team member snatched my customer after I already grabbed their ID. I was new so I was just taken back a little and let it slide. But the older team members did this to other new members that I thought was not very team effort.

My manager was not so nice with me. Every time I would run into him I would tell him good morning and he would respond, "You still work here?", Uhmm yeah that hurt my feelings but oh well you can't please everyone.

JCPenney Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Montclair, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Montclair, CA

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time for more than a year

Pros

What I like is the associate discount we get , which is %25 and %50 on select dates also known as "Friends and Family". All my co-workers are very nice and easy to get along with. The supervisors and managers all have different personalities and standards for us, but overall they're okay.

Cons

Some of the challenges I've personally experienced with the company are the work hours they give you. Also, when having trouble with a "problematic associate" they do nothing about it. Also, it seems that moving up the latter is quite difficult despite having the potential or experience to do so. It's more of who you know rather than what you know.

Listen and deal with associates requests with a more efficient and prolific manner.

Good for young adult

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love how they have parties and different gatherings frequently showing that they do value their employees.

Cons

They are not family friendly in terms of the work schedule. They had me working closing shifts for weeks straight and every Saturday. As a single mom it was very difficult and a hassle as far as evening daycare among friends and relatives considering that most daycare close by 6pm. When I discussed my concerns to the assistant manager she pretty much threatened my job. Other working mother's there had the same issue. We did however reach a compromise that I can work some nights during the week. I still had to work every weekend. I ended up resigning do to that reason. It wasn’t worth my kids going house to house every night.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Men Sales Specialist  in  Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Men Sales Specialist in Salem, OR

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed working a JCPenney for 4+ years. Enjoyed working with the other associates, had good supervisors, and management. Had fun helping customers and clients find clothing they needed and styles of clothes that made them look good. Great employee discounts.

Cons

Was a challenge having micromanagement to have the associates get customers to sign up for a credit card and catalog sales. Short on help to recover the store causing associates to stay late. Not members of Chambe of Commerce-a big negative.

Lighten up and respect your team and associates. Don't be looking over their backs to get them to work harder to get credit cards. Talk to them with respect and don't repremand them in front of other associates and customers.

Great place to work if you enjoy being put down

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for less than a year

Pros

pay, benefits, employee appreciation. They do appreciation like no other. Parties, cook outs, you name it. it's a fantastic place to be.

Cons

management, store hours, people. Overall, the place is a fantastic work environment, my only problem is that every single manager hates to see me walk in the door.

I'd say to be more understanding of employees and what they're asking for. I had several family emergencies back to back to the point of them borderline asking me for proof of the issues they were all having.

Customers are usually nice, hours suck after awhile.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

Pros

I like working at JCP because it's a fun place to work at if you get along with other people. I work in shoes and it can be hard work if you're lazy. But I love shoes and wouldn't want to work any other department. Discount is nice.

Cons

Managers usually don't listen to you or resolve problems. The hours suck after awhile. They give the best hours to new people but expect you to work around their schedule if you get another job. The higher ups usually act snotty. The jcps I've been at, rare chance of promotion because they're losing business.

Listen to your employees, give good raises.

I worked for JcPenny for over a year; I enjoyed my job, my boss, the managers and my co workers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  McMinnville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in McMinnville, TN

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount, management, friendly co workers, clean enviroment.

Cons

No full time availability, no chance in moving up to a better, higher paying position.

Unless you're upper management you are easily overlooked.

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Plano, TX

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people in the building is extremely friendly. There is a Starbucks, Walgreens, and Subway all on campus.

Cons

Hardly any growth opportunities for entry level employees despite being told there is. After being verbally harassed (not sexually) by a superior, I was able to move within the company; however the superior got a slap on the wrist (if that).

Actually invest in your employees and promote them before bringing in under qualified external candidates regarding your Assistant Buyer Training Program.

I worked here for over two years, it was an okay job. I usually did fitting rooms.

Former Employee - Fitting Rooms
    Former Employee - Fitting Rooms

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for more than a year

Pros

- The associates you work with
    - Lots of hours during holiday
    - Discount applies with in store coupons
    - Get dibs on cheap clearance
    - I received PTO as part time
    - I am still remembered by employees when visit, welcoming team
    - Meetings in the morning and afternoon
    - Flexible
    - Fun Managers ...for the most part

Cons

-Fitting rooms.... If you have an option I would avoid this, unless you rather not cashier.
    -Messy rooms, customers usually leave clothes inside out, on the floor, very time consuming to clean up.
    -If busy its impossible to get into a fitting room, unless you stand there and wait for customers to exit (but then you can't put away clothes)
    - Theft, that's why it is important to check rooms after every customer
    -Late late late nights recovering floor (but you get paid and can fold with friends)
    -Sometimes departments wouldn't recover their area at the end of the night and would wait for other workers to do it for them. (I believe now they dismiss you by department to make lazy associates work)
    -I think the worst part, personally, (again with fitting rooms) was that if you had a lunch and managers did not schedule somebody to check your fitting room. So after your lunch you came to a messy department, and a torn up fitting room! Ugh!

Some managers would never be on the floor, until after close.
    Some where the best managers, who worked really hard and never were recognized.

Seasonal help, treated like an underling

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at J. C. Penney as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

discounts are great! Time goes by quickly if you like talking with customers or helping them pick out an outfit! I felt like the training was excellent and I was not scared to be out of training the first day.

Cons

The lack of breaks, it's almost impossible to find someone to come relieve you from your section so you can use the facilities. Lots of being pressured to stay longer than your scheduled in time.

act less like a drill sergeant

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!