J. C. Penney Reviews

2,170 Reviews
2,170 Reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman
Mike Ullman

Pros
  • 20% employee discount on regular days- could be combined with coupon discounts (in 174 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons (in 53 reviews)

• Associates are essentially working for a credit card company, not a clothing company (in 95 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoyed everything from interview to working here. Management is friendly, and my co-workers felt like family.

Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, amazing co-workers, training you can use anywhere, genuinely go management. You will be able to make life-long friends and enjoy fun holiday parties and functions. Management is friendly, and my co-workers felt like family. They also do their best to work with you around your schedule as long as you honestly let them know what is going on.

Cons

Things always get busier on the holidays and a lot is expected of you. You must be able to smile it out even when you are tired or upset. A lot is expected of you.

Satisfied

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Friendly and Family oriented environment

Cons

The managers did not seem like they had full idea about what I was suppose to be doing for the internship

Review the whole packet and get a full knowledge of what the intern is suppose to be doing for their position

Easy & fun, especially with great managers!

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Rolla, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Rolla, MO

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Passionate managers, easy work, flexible hours, awesome employee discounts in store & out!!

Cons

The pay wasn't the best

The managers set the mood for the rest of the team, as long as they love what they do the rest of the team will respect & enjoy the work easier.

Great experience for temporary holiday employment.

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Chesterfield, MI
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Chesterfield, MI

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The full time staff was very friendly and helpful, management treated the temps like valued long term employees. The hours promised at hire were given to employees and additional hours were available to anyone wanting more work. Temp also received employee discounts on holiday purchases. Potential full time employment is possible after the holiday season.

Cons

The only con is working the extended holiday store hours and holiday work schedule with the ever expanding sales season.

No change necessary, perks like lunch/dinner for the employees were much appreciated. The job duties and hours were exactly as promised during the hiring process. Management and permanent staff were great to work with.

Perfect 1st job

Current Employee - Stock Room
    Current Employee - Stock Room

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexible scheduling, I worked at a small store so we got to use alot of creativity in our sets. loved the early hours of unloading the truck, but started on the sales floor. I learned valuable sales skills and customer service skills that have served me well.

Cons

Replenishment associates have to wear dress clothes (we used to get to wear jeans) so you tear up and dirty your dress clothes alot. Air Conditioning is controlled by corporate so it gets super hot and customers get mad and there is nothing we can do about.

adjust dress code for those doing the dirty work. most replenishment associates aren't even on the floor after the store opens. allow stores to set their on temperatures.....just because its 65 in one part of the country doesn't mean its that nice everywhere.

very rewarding and nice people

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

flexible schedule, learning environment, and good people to work with

Cons

pay is sometimes not what you expect

Love Love LOVE My job

Current Employee - Human Resource Leader in Victoria, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resource Leader in Victoria, TX

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. Best place to work at. Fun and Engaging

Cons

Retail is always difficult. Working holiday hours

Best experience with J.C. Penney

Current Employee - Pricing Team Associate in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Pricing Team Associate in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love meeting new people, getting day shifts, and leaving early. I am learning new things and getting a hour lunch. I love the employee discount.

Cons

I don't like the changes because it is almost overwhelming. I wish the managers communicate with their employees to discussed the problems that we having.

please communicate with your employees and don't have too many changes.

Good as in average

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (more than an year)

Pros

When you have good management leaders, work runs by smoothly. If you like customer service industry, this is a great place to earn some experience. HR works on building the "family" feel amongst employees and probably varies on a store to store setting but both HR managers I've worked with seemed to focus on that. Decent reward system for hard-working employees. And most importantly, the employee discount can be used in combination to coupons and rewards.

Cons

As a part-time you don't have any benefits. HR doesn't really communicate any possible benefits or etc because they expect for you to look at your "kiosk" (online software). Opening credit cards is a major deal and they push employees way too much. The culture JCPenny's tries to build is good but varies on a store to store basis and many times the leaders like to play favorites.

I would advise to begin redefining management ethics from the top. Only promote people who are competent enough to assume a managerial position. Then, store leaders and supervisors can work on building a respectful, positive, and productive work environment,

Typical retail environment.

Current Employee - Operations Consultant
    Current Employee - Operations Consultant

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great extras with Sephora, such as gratis and a significant bonus when sales plan is made for the month. Can be rewarding teaching people about makeup and skincare.

Cons

Working in close quarters with a group of girls = drama. A good promotion can be hard to come by, unless you're up for relocating. Like most retail stores there's usually a pre-corporate visit frenzy about once a month.