J. C. Penney

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.0 1,909 reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

Pros
  • It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount(in 146 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season(in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons(in 43 reviews)

• They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card(in 77 reviews)

1,909 Employee Reviews

Pay is great for stylists

Senior Stylist (Current Employee) Victoria, TX

ProsOnce you hit commission your pay works out to 50% of your total service sales

ConsHitting commission can be difficult for up and coming stylist who cannot work quickly and aren't confident in what they do

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiring idiots to run your salons

Experience over corporate politics

Expert (Current Employee) Fargo, ND

ProsIt is a company with a great name,

ConsExperience means nothing when it comes to pay scale, because corporate goes by what they have determined for pay scale, they are trying to revert back to the old penny's way, after all the turmoils past year. And they need to pay more to stop the turn over problem, because turn over means terrible customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate management, needs to get out and visit the stores, personally, without a prior notice. Pick a few stores , and they will see what the problem is, don't send out someone you have designated to do this job, get out from behind the desk, and take a look for yourself, including the board members!

POS Associate

POS Associate (Former Employee) Carbondale, IL

ProsVery good work environment! Upper management helped throughout the store, they weren't sitting in offices all day. We were able to communicate with them about any situation with out feeling inferior. Lots of recognition from customers as well as management.

ConsCrazy work schedules during the holiday season. Management wouldn't allow anyone to request days off of work from Thanksgiving until New Years.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Starter Job!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Alton, IL

ProsGreat place to work at while in high school. The hours were very flexible and people are always happy to trade shifts. It's an easy entry level job.

ConsObviously there is an element of customer service to being a sales associate. Some customers can be challenging and sometimes they will try to take advantage of you, but the management is always willing to help with overly difficuly situations.

Not that bad, normal retail experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou fold clothes, etc. Not hard or exhausting. Just boring

ConsMinimum wage, unless you have some good/long retail experience. There's suppose to be a annual raise but from what i have been hearing, that may only be for select employees who excel at getting people to sign up for JCPenney credit cards. They expect you to get a certain amount of people to sign up for credit cards every month, which is impossible when there is almost always a coupon circulating and you only save a little bit more by signing up for a credit card. Managers are unorganized. Each one will tell you to do something different, or tell you to do something while not notifying the other managers about it. Not a big problem. Just annoying when it becomes a repetitive habit. There register system is also very slow. Each transaction time could be almost cut in half if the computers just loaded up faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything would run more efficiently if the computers would load faster.

ok to work for

ProsThe employee discount is good

ConsThe pay could be better

Seasonal Sales Associate - Was ok before coupon change

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bossier City, LA

Pros20% employee discount on regular days- could be combined with coupon discounts. Pay was just above average for a retail position like this d.o.e. ($7.75 vs $7.25/hour). Was only there for a few months but they always had special meals for employee appreciation..free and tasty!!

ConsConstantly folding clothes and cleaning up behind customer- same as any other retail store...staying 1 to 1.5 after closing to zone and clean the store..laid off after the holidays and budget cuts

sales

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

Prosgood place to start with

Consno real growth as of now

Good company. Good ethics. The management at each individual store makes or brakes it.

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsThe pay is competitive. They reward their employees well. I think this varies from store to store, but my store gives nice thank yous for things like credit apps and nice customer comments on surveys. This store is in the process of changing the management team to a more positive and productive environment. Good changes.

ConsHours change drastically. You can go from 15 hours one week to 35 another. Sometimes they have to reduce hours and tell people they won't be needed for a whole shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire new people if you can't give the employees you have a fair work week.

Good company to work for.

Store Leader (Former Employee)

ProsFast-paced, great customers, technology is decent (better than most large department stores), pay for management is fair, loyal associates.

ConsWorking most weekends and holidays. EVERY holiday is a peak in retail, so you need plenty of associates to work but they all want to be with friends and family for the holiday, which makes staffing very difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within and less from the outside. Job hoppers are not loyal and they won't be there long enough to really make a big impact. Just about the time they really start to understand their job responsibilities well, they are moving on.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!