J. C. Penney

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.0 1,904 reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

Pros
  • It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount(in 143 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Non-existent work/life balance, no consistency of store operating policy throughout each location(in 41 reviews)

• They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card(in 76 reviews)

1,904 Employee Reviews

Pay is great for stylists

Senior Stylist (Current Employee) Victoria, TX

ProsOnce you hit commission your pay works out to 50% of your total service sales

ConsHitting commission can be difficult for up and coming stylist who cannot work quickly and aren't confident in what they do

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiring idiots to run your salons

Great Starter Job!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Alton, IL

ProsGreat place to work at while in high school. The hours were very flexible and people are always happy to trade shifts. It's an easy entry level job.

ConsObviously there is an element of customer service to being a sales associate. Some customers can be challenging and sometimes they will try to take advantage of you, but the management is always willing to help with overly difficuly situations.

not the best place to work, but Ok

Prosflexible schedule, casual dress code, fun co workers.

ConsHour cuts, large turnover of employees and management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Employer

Salon Receptionist (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsJCP is a really easy place to work, super laid back, and is great at rewarding their employees. The work load wasn't overwhelming and the customers were pleasant. They really want everyone to succeed and will give you the training and tools to do so.

ConsThe only bad part was an inconsistent schedule and it was almost impossible to move to full time, but with the base plus commission I made, I could definitely get by.

Good environment

Sale Associate (Former Employee) Farmington, CT

Prosgood customer service, greeting customers, detail oriented, handling merchandise, stocking merchandise, handling cash transactions, translating

Consworking with associates, good customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

I found the experience to be educational.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Elkhart, IN

ProsGood atmosphere. Management is accessible.

ConsNot easily promoted. Department relocation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeeper assessment of employees and their abilities.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Hiram, GA

ProsIt is a great company to work for and all the people are really nice.

ConsSometimes the hours aren't the greatest.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have a suggestion box.

Great Seasonal Job!

Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) Hays, KS

ProsThe job has really good incentives and employee discounts. During the Christmas time, they had a Christmas party for all employees and allowed us to bring our families and let us shop with our families and our family got discounts as well! For a seasonal job for holiday money, I couldn't of had a better experience.

ConsI don't have any negatives

enjoyed the people that i worked with

Sales Associate, Cosmetics Department (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

Prosi was trained by a cosmetic company for jc penney and they paid half of my wages. Jc penney offers great benefits and savings plans, as well as good insurance for its employees. they have flexible hrs for students and part timers that have another job also.

Consthe downfall is that JC Penney does not pay very well,.They do not pay as well as say some other dept stores out there. this was the reason for me leaving. the other dept stores insurance cost more though so it may even out if your just looking for some piddling work for insurance

Advice to Senior Managementpay better and gert better quality help

Great Company to be with

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHard work always pays off, Great team and leadership team,

Conspart time job but full time hours

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!