J. C. Penney

2,392 Reviews
2,392 Reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman
Mike Ullman

Pros
  • 20% employee discount on regular days- could be combined with coupon discounts (in 181 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons (in 54 reviews)

• Associates are essentially working for a credit card company, not a clothing company (in 101 reviews)

More Highlights

I had an okay experience but don't really recommend no one to work there.

Former Employee - Replenishment/Stock in Eatontown, NJ
    Former Employee - Replenishment/Stock in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the coworkers are nice and friendly. The company have great discounts.

Cons

Don't tell your business to no one they all like to gossip and talk about people and everyone that come into the store.They have poor Management especially on a Sunday they all like to sit up in the office not doing nothing and customers asking for questions and no one to be found. And also they pick favorites I don't regret leaving them and if they gave raises only 10 cents. They did me wrong you bust your butt and no one cares.

Please treat all your employees the nice. I had bad experience with my last manager.

Used to Be a Good Company to Work For

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Moreno Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Moreno Valley, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney

Pros

If you are just out of high school and hispanic you will do well here at minimum wage and your chances will be much better to receive a promotion. 2$ for each credit app you take is added to your paycheck. Earned sick time. 90 day probationary period.

Cons

Policies change weekly if not daily. They get rid of their best people to allow for cheaper labor by mistreating them or cutting their hours until they just quit. It's not about the good job you do or if you are among the top sales consistently. Did not give raises for 4 yrs, due to mismanagement and when they did it was mandatory minimum wage, forget any reward for staying with a failing company and taking abuse from the public for poor management. or for having a great attendance and being loyal. Lay you off after 15 - 25 yrs and call it restructuring, No benefits. No 40 hour work weeks. All part time employees.

Stop talking down your nose to your employees as though you are better than they are because you are a store manager. They are working hard for you and deserve your recognition. The customer is not always right!!! Some of your customers have learned how to work you to get that 10$ coupon. Make sure when a complaint is filed about an employee that it is actually truthful. Your three strikes your out policy if ridiculous. Get core policies set and stick to them for more than one week.You never know what rules to follow and neither does anyone else. Each supervisor will tell you something different. Customers do not like your ever changing rules either. Practice work ethics, they DO count. Have higher standards for dress codes and personal hygiene.

Working there at the begining was a great experience until new management came and didnt really respect employees .

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I felt comfortable at the beginning . And the people were nice.

Cons

The new manager didnt respect the workers and wasnt trying to work with there personal needs like pregnancy or the disabled workers.

Just to pay more attention to who they hire for management,even though theve hired someone whos been with them long because they still dont treat workers with respect and with a heart.

Don't do it

I worked at J. C. Penney

Pros

Get to go home after 8 hoirs

Cons

Mangy. Not qualified
    Low pay
    Lots of Indians, no Chief

Try harder

Oh my god... worst place to work

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

They let you stay after the holidays

Cons

8.50/hr is ridiculous. . Im going to leave

Treat your employees like humans not robots

Poor Management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than a year)

Pros

25% discount
    Great sales/support team
    Coupons

Cons

Management
    Long nights
    Minimum wage
    Customers
    High turnover
    Part time
    6 hours a week during slow season

Put competent managers in charge! Value employees. Pay an appropriate sum for all the work we do. Get better equipment/system for the job!

Busy

Current Employee - Sales Support Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Support Assistant

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Perks are a discount once a year.

Cons

Little pay for tons of work

Fire yourselves

Do not work for JCPenney

Former Employee - Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist

I worked at J. C. Penney

Pros

None. No benefits. No promotions. No personal growth.

Cons

They only want you to sell the JCPenney credit card and if you don't meet the weekly quota, they cut your hours. Managers remind employes every fifteen minutes to sell, sell, sell those credit cards. Nothing else mattered. We were often understaffed and managers never stepped in to help. They cut all full time employees and started hiring only part time minimum wage workers to avoid giving benefits. Training was non-existent and sporadic. Employee morale was low. Most employees had second jobs to survive.

unprofessional, Dangerous, & immature place to work!

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Fayetteville, GA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Fayetteville, GA

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Store discounts, & free coffee. Nothing else!!

Cons

Everything!! Management, Pay, & Staff. you've got Employees that come to work just to harass & gossip about those that just want to come to work with out Drama!! All the so, called grown people in my department are very immature & ghetto!! When you come to my department you can tell that it's ghetto!! Employees in my department love to gossip about other employees to customers & each other. The employees in my department will smile in your face, while setting you up, so you can loose your job. I never understand why grown people with kids will come to work to sabotage others. They don't pay their employees bills or put food on their table, so Why do , so, called grown people come to work to destroy others?

A Leader leads their team to succeed not to fail. Get Better management. Stop taking up for fake, trouble making employees that come to work to harass those that just want to work with out drama!!!

As a department supervisor you do the job of 3 people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willow Grove, PA

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Crazy markdowns allowing you to buy lots of merchandise very cheap.

Cons

Pay increases offered to a select few. If management does not like you they will fire you for any reason. Policies and procedures are unclear leaving room for misunderstanding. Department Supervisors must run at least one 2 to 3 hour Leader on Duty shift, which once you take care of your office tasks, emails, etc and take a mandatory lunch leaves little time to work with your people and run the department. Extreme high turnover especially with Department managers and store management.

Improve your pricing. No matter what store I shop there are so many items that should be cheaper that are either not signed properly or marked down correctly thus preventing item to be sold. Customers rarely want to pay regular price resulting in loss sales.