J. C. Penney

2,235 Reviews
2,235 Reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman
Mike Ullman

Pros
  • 20% employee discount on regular days- could be combined with coupon discounts (in 181 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons (in 54 reviews)

• Associates are essentially working for a credit card company, not a clothing company (in 101 reviews)

More Highlights

Not Worth It

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tigard, OR

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a pay check.

Cons

They do not always stick to their policies. If you are an employee that gets credit applications for accounts then you will be able to get away with a lot. This even includes time theft, insubordination, and poor customer service. Management doesn't know how to communicate with employees or customers and create a very low morale.

Management should take a very serious look at their actions. It can have some unfortunate consequences.

not worth it

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time

Pros

I really can't think of any

Cons

many -- store manager is a bully

Working for JCPenneys

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

None really.....can't think of any. Easily hired

Cons

No loyalty, bad pay, training is horrible, not a good employer/ company

Work with your team and coach and train your staff

The worst work experience.

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Waterbury, CT

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro working for this company at this location is the 30% discount. You can use it with coupons and clearance.

Cons

Lack of respect for workers.
    People thought they were the boss... Sorry only had one and it wasnt you!
    I came from another store along with a few others and we could have ran that store 100x better than how its currently ran !
    Changed hours and do not notify workers of these changes.
    Hours were cut and we were never told why after being told in the morning meeting to be patient. How are hours cut when its almost holiday time.
    Supervisors and Managers need more training before they can train others.
    The truck team was blamed for everything when there are recovery issues and lack of planning for us to put things out accurately.
    Supervisors micro-managing your every move.
    Took cigarette breaks when everyone is allowed one 15 min break. If we was allowed to finish the break.
    People given authority to workers with no title to tell other workers what to do in a very rude way.
    It felt like a bootcamp.
    Lack of workers but was still timed and told to hurry up.
    One worker gets 30-40 hours while everyone else got 10-25 but there are no fulltime employees though.... (Only management)
    Its a shame to have good workers and they all leave and the company and store management fail to realize why people are quitting in this specific department. The support team.
    Was told I was going to start working in another department twice and it never happened with no explanation why.
    No room to grow with the company, only certain people are eligible for that.
    But they will call you in when they need you because people are calling out and quitting and still do not give you any hours for your hard work.
    flirting with a specific worker and praising her like she knew everything. The job was simple if you pay attention. All you do is scan and put the clothes out where its suppose to be -.-
    Lack of communication.
    Truck team was never notified of any store events.
    Not a good place to work. Period.

Pay attention to what is going on in your store.
    Appreciate the hardworkers, not people who suck up to get ahead, know the difference.
    Retrain the supervisors and managers because it is sad the things they do not know.
    Take advantage of the people who want to grow with the company and put them in the right direction to do that, do not hold them down.
    The moral is a problem and its one of many reasons why people are leaving.

Pure favoritism

Current Employee - Anonymous in Papillion, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Papillion, NE

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As long as you are a credit star you will be management's favorite and get the most hours, even if your customer service sucks.....if you are not a credit star or some supervisors favorite, no matter how hard you work, how good your customer service is, you will never be noticed.
    But the discount is good!

Cons

NO room to move up to to upper management in the stores. I've seen two awesome supervisors leave for this reason.
    You look at customers as walking credit cards and have to bug them to death to open a new card. Supervisors and other management stand behind us like little kids to make sure we are asking (over and over) to open a new card. Lazy sales associates and to many younger kids working together not getting anything done while the associates who are working get in trouble for the area looking like Hell.

Stop treating the people who are good associates like crap and stop playing favorites.

could be better

Former Employee - Leader
    Former Employee - Leader

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay and associates made it somewhat ok

Cons

where to start....store leader and asst. were sleazy...used lp to find dirt on employees or make it up.. very unprofessional and truly unethical culture.

If your hiring a seasoned professional, trust their judgement..not every department is profitably run the same way,,lighten up on the stupid credit card pushing..your associates have no respect for your sneaky methods of making you look good to the district and regional management.

Expects more of you than willing to pay. No promotion opportunities in a failing company

Former Employee - Department Supervisor
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor

I worked at J. C. Penney

Pros

Fellow associates, time off, schedule

Cons

Pay, workload, lack of promotion opportunities, company vision, lack of mentorship to move on

Hire managers with experience that care about the future f their associates

Do Not work here.

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

I like the members of my Team. We all work really well together

Cons

The pay is absolutely horrible.

I was hired as "full-time" which apparently means only getting 20-25 hours a week.

Management wants 100+ hours of work done in about 20 hours.

Very poor management and training.

Former Employee - Home Associate in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - Home Associate in Sioux City, IA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours during the holidays.

Cons

Horrible management. Boring. Not enough people to work most of the time, often short. Never knew when they would let you leave, sometimes 9 pm sometimes midnight. Breaks were not overseen so many people would just leave, sometimes they would be gone up to an hour. They did not pay me for all the hours I worked.

Honestly, I think the main problem was the management at this store. I know I was not the only employee with complaints. I would recommend reconsidering people who hold these positions.

Interesting to say the least

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pearland, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pearland, TX

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than an year)

Pros

At times it was an easy going job

Cons

They try to punish you if you don't get credit. Managers were not logical. They don't care about their employees a lot of work with little pay and no raises

Go back to the old way before Ron messed up everything even more. And take suggestions from employees managers don't always know what's best