J. C. Penney

2,277 Reviews
2,277 Reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman
Mike Ullman

Pros
  • 20% employee discount on regular days- could be combined with coupon discounts (in 181 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons (in 54 reviews)

• Associates are essentially working for a credit card company, not a clothing company (in 101 reviews)

More Highlights

JCP is a great place to start out and gain some experience, but when it comes to the benefits and hourly pay, they are a bit lacking for the amount of work put in.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of my training was done by fellow sales and customer service associates. I have them to thank for that. They've really made my experience here a great one. They give out a lot of food and prizes for credit apps, .com orders, and surveys too which is nice. I enjoy working with the customers also. Be respectful, send a smile and you will make someone's day. Most even return the favor.

Cons

Here closing means you could be at work past your scheduled time. For most associates it's a con. The amount of work done seems a bit too much for the amount of pay issued to most associates as well. Getting a raise there here is like pulling teeth. A co-worker of mine has worked 18 years here and still on minimum wage + commission. Lunches are scheduled, but finding coverage is necessary to take it and most times difficult to find right away. I've had to take lunches up to a few hours late before. Sadly they don't take the time to go over benefits even to those who are working their first ever job. I'm also working 37-39 hours weekly and only getting the part-time benefits. I feel cheated out of something I should have. There are a lot of benefits I didn't know jcp had until I came to this site as well. It's a fun place to work for the most part, but there are still a lot of things that are unfair.

Take more time to listen to your associates. I feel like I'm hardly listened to since managers are always in a hurry and busy. Sometimes I wish I could be treated like a customer because they actually get the attention. Educate your associates on the benefits, how to get a raise, and even work the registers. Many associates are doing the managers jobs and training new hires at the registers. I've even done it. Another thing I should address is that every register area should have a first aid kit with cleansing wipes and bandages, a phone, and enough materials for the associates like "holding and re-tagging stickers", pens, and receipt paper. Too often we run out and don't get anymore for long periods of time. Thank you for your consideration.

JCP

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people and laid back work environment

Cons

Will not promote from within.

Consider promoting from within.

Work Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, MO

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a job and I received a paycheck.

Cons

Unfair payment practices. Some jewelry sales staff were paid a 1% commission rate, others were paid as high as 5%. Constant changing hours and days off, could never plan for anything.

It left me drained and was way too under paid

Former Employee - Service Lead Expert in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Service Lead Expert in Portland, OR

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

THe people at Jcpenney are for the most part amazin at store level. I had the opportunity with truly amazing people. I will be thankful to that particular store for all that I learned.

Cons

IF you want to be a successful leader you need to spend over the forty hours and be available at all times.

It's just OK

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jensen Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jensen Beach, FL

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, easy to take time off when needed or give away shifts, and easy to pick up shifts when needed.
    Great discount, and we get treated well

Cons

Certain managers take credit cards seriously, and will cut hours because of it.
    Barely any raises, and certain coupons bring in RUDE customers.
    You can get a lot of hours during the winter, but any other time of the year the majority of the time you don't get a lot.
    If you don't like to kiss butt working here you won't get far. The good workers don't get credit..

Cool company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mays Landing, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mays Landing, NJ

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great starter job
    Work around my schedule
    During the holiday your hours pick up
    Got a holiday Check

Cons

Managent
    Hours decrease after the holiday
    The pay is kinda low

Used to be a great place to work...

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time

Pros

Benefits for full time employees

Cons

Inconsistant scheduling, last minute schedule changes with no notification, lack of sales, lack of company support for commissioned associates ie; advertising big ticket merchandise such as fine jewelry and furniture.. We get no help what so ever.. you are on your own when it comes to marketing in commissioned areas. We get pulled to non commissioned areas to ring, whenever there is a call out in another department without regard to productivity requirements. They just do not care about the associates anymore.

Work with your team, address concerns by contacting key people in Plano.. sales do not build themselves and associates need back up and support in bringing in new customers. Learn what it is like to be on commission and offer alternative positions when the department is slow...respect productivity requirements by not pulling associates into other areas where they do not get credit for hours worked.

It's good for a first time job...other than that run for your life! seriously

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

25% Associate Discount , Coupons or use both together. Make some friends.
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Supervisors and other management lacked in professionalism, lack in communication with each other, for employees it was hard to make a different manager happy, Very low Salary, Some Customers have the nerve to be rude or be a thief.

Management, Don't be hypocritical, be humble always. It just jcpenney lol. ..

The overall store team moral was always low and it shows in the employees.

Former Employee - Visual Specialist in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Visual Specialist in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

team members are what made the job bearable. The products that in the store is really great and the merchandising is good.

Cons

The management team does not listen to the needs of the team and only cares about results. Collaboration is frowned upon and you could really even work as a team. Because you weren't allowed to talk to other team members.

get it together and then you wouldn't loose great talent

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denton, TX

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Somewhat laid back. Friendly people.

Cons

Training sucks, not enough pay, not enough hours, boring, clothes are cheap and so are the customers that come in.

Train better. And let your employees know when they're laid off.