J. C. Penney Reviews

2,044 Reviews
2,044 Reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman
Mike Ullman

Pros
  • It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount (in 146 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons (in 43 reviews)

• They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

Nothing Out Of The Ordinary...

Former Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate  in  Waterford, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Waterford, CT

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for more than a year

Pros

- You get lots of hours if you show that you can do a good job and want to make money.
    - Nice position for someone who has never had a job before, high school/college students, or someone that wants to make extra money on the side.
    - Good discount that can be used on regular priced, sale, and clearance items.
    - Incentives when you sign people up for credit card

Cons

- Catty clique mentality among a lot of the sales associates... primarily based on age. Felt like high school at times.
    - Like all retail, there are plenty of annoying customers, especially during the back to school sales. They act like JCP is Barneys and want luxury service, but only want to pay yard sale prices! Very very messy customers, too!
    - Lots of competition/pressure to sign people up for the JCP credit card - even if you don't work at the register.
    - Low pay for the amount of work you do.
    - Useless/annoying policies when it comes to loss prevention, break times/lengths, ever-changing discount rules, etc.
    - Even if you're part-time, you'll get lots of lengthy shifts that almost last from when the store opens to when the store closes. Low work/life balance.
    - Low chance for advancement

Talk to corporate about maintaining the upkeep of the store. Old displays, broken furniture, and poor department layouts are not beneficial for workers or customers. Provide at least a fair wage for employees, no one can live on minimum wage! Management should not pressure employees to sign customers up for credit cards, the practice should be optional.

What used to be a reputable company.

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with. They are very helpful and kind. The employee discounts are nice. I enjoy learning what I can on the job through my experiences.

Cons

Management does not know how to treat their employees very well. The managers know how to be kind to one another. The equipment you are supplied to work with they constantly have problems. The i phones, they do not hold a charge very long and are constantly freezing up. You are constantly being accused of being a slow worker and not knowing how to do your job regardless if the equipment works or not. You are constantly being hounded to get customers to open credit and get customer surveys. They may start you out with plenty of hours when you first start working there but be prepared to get cut down drastically.

They need to accommodate their employees better. Pay them enough so they can live like normal people and pay their bills or give them enough hours to work. They need to supply all of their employees with better health benefit options. This company does not spend their money wisely. They need to give their employees more opportunities to grow and maybe they will stay longer with the company.

Sketchy

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had minimal, but existing opportunities here. They work around my class schedule. Coworkers are friendly. Good place to start out at, but can never advance to another position.

Cons

My store manager has no idea how anything works. She's been apart of the company for 40 years and never leaves her office. You can try to tell her something and she literally will tell you you're wrong, even if you're not. Favoritism is all over here, even if employees aren't worth it. Hours go from being great (30-35) to horrible (12-15)

Please look at the store and department managers in your stores. They are lazy and uncooperative with the employees underneath them. Employees get punished and told we are wrong for sharing opinions

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, but pay isn't very competitive.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts were the top reason to keep me at this job, the other sales associates were great to work with too.

Cons

Management at some of the stores seems quite dysfunctional.

Truly need to branch out and see what works best for each store, listen to the suggestions of employees that care about the company, have higher expectations from your employees on their cleanliness of store.

Jcp Where did all the good Associates go

Former Employee - Associate  in  Rio Grande, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate in Rio Grande, NJ

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customers that came in the store

Cons

I think management are letting good associates go.

watch you let go, you might be unhappy later

Better days are ahead

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Being a part of a large company is great. You have the culture and the leadership team to look up to for guidance.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations have been set. Nothing is ever good enough and you don't get positive feedback.

Great company with high pay for management compared to other retailers

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Compensation and people I worked with

Cons

Work/Life balance and unannounced walkthrus

Listen to your store associates.

JcPenney Area Salon Leader

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Great multiple location experience. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Long hours. Lots of travel time.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Diverse Workplace, Advancement from Within

Cons

Long Hours (But That's Retail)

Great Jcp career opportunities.

Current Employee - Salon Leader
    Current Employee - Salon Leader

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people, good compensation, good company values, and great upward mobility for those with ambition and strong work ethics.

Cons

Opportunities for better Communication across all areas, all stores not consistent with policy and procedures, management inconsistencies. Expect to work many hours for salaried leadership team. Hours worked not great for family oriented people.

Communication in a timely manner, clarity of expectations, consistency in every store. Fair and consistency throughout each Jcp location.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!