J. C. Penney Reviews

2,123 Reviews
2,123 Reviews

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman
Mike Ullman

Pros
  • 20% employee discount on regular days- could be combined with coupon discounts (in 166 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Short sighted management, desperate for employees so work/life balance hard during peak seasons (in 52 reviews)

• Associates are essentially working for a credit card company, not a clothing company (in 92 reviews)

More Highlights

Home office associate

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Associate discount. They try to keep values but seems to be slipping away.

Cons

Company unwilling to invest in experienced associate. Age discrimination is a big issue.

Need to invest in experience associates that can contribute immediately. Too many in the short term savings which cost much more in the long run.

Overworked and stressed out

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are really trying to turn the company back around. Love my team. Lots of ways to make extra money.

Cons

Unless you are in with upper mngmnt you will not move up as fast. They want do much work with no help. Frustrating!

Make sure you have a leader that is dedicated to developing people. Lots of stress and over worked

Hustle and bustle with a great lack of quality

Former Employee - Senior Information Architect in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Information Architect in Plano, TX

I worked at J. C. Penney as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Big brand name doesn't look bad on your resume. The facility in Plano is impressive and the cafeteria convenient. In general people are friendly. Make a point to get out of your 'cube' and mingle. There are a variety of spaces throughout the facility in which to work. Good wireframing experience and experience working with other JCPenney teams.

Cons

JCPenney is eager to get ahead since plummeting in sales for the past year. However my experience was that their aggressive release schedule created more problems than solved them. The team structure changed every 6 weeks and our manager was for the most part out of touch. Contractors are expected to do as much work as perm but very few perks exist to encourage contractors and they will pay you less than standard rate. They will bring you on as 'contract to hire' but will not do so and continue to fill out the team with contractors. My manager provided little direction and minimally involved herself except when she had an opportunity to look good to her superiors.

Connect with your team more often. Show more appreciation and understanding for team members and their efforts. Never slam a team member before other team members. Don't lie to look good.

Sales Associate: Enjoyable to unbearable

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The associate discount was great, plus you could get to see the new clothes when they were put out on the sales floor and could then watch the sales and get the best markdowns plus your associate discount. There are a lot of great people who work at J.C. Penney.

Cons

Extreme lack of communication, policies changed all the time, information rarely trickled down from management you would catch the end of a conversation about changes between associates. Since the old CEO returned there were truly unrealistic credit card app goals (if you only work on Saturdays then you had the same goal as everyone else, even the full time associates). Extremely rude, aggressive customers who knew if you would not politely give them what they want (because they were not correct in their assumptions), if they continued to yell at you then the L.O.D. of the day would cave and give them what they want. Unrealistic assumptions that two people can run the registers, empty fitting rooms and recover the store. The morale is very low at the store I worked at and they are losing a LOT of good workers who have been there five plus years. They have been staffing up a lot but the people they are hiring are lazy and don't want to work so the burden falls upon the long term people. I have shopped at JCP for years and want them to succeed but the lack of communication is ridiculous. It used to be a fun, happy place to work until a couple of good managers left and the newer supervisors are on eternal power trips.

COMMUNICATE WITH ALL ASSOCIATES not just the full time ones, or ones who work 30 hours. I worked there for four years evenings and weekends I never saw the Store Managers (two of them during my time there) after 6.00 pm during the week, neither of them knew who I was.

is changed and not necessarily for the better

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

flex-scheduling,
    in house medical, day care, gym, food
    covered parking

Cons

raises based on popularity, not merit
    no leadership
    no direction

need leaders who know/understand retail

Good for short time

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Coworkers are always a delight
    You'll have a lot of work on your plate

Cons

Not much room for career growth
    Management system a mess

Eh

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Time and a half. I entered more than 5 words be happy.

Cons

Too little pay
    Too much work
    Ungodly hrs
    Hrs get cut.

Hire more people that actually work!!!
    Stop making us pick the slack up for people who don't do their work.
    Closing time should be specific I shouldn't be getting out at 12 am when I already finished closing my section and helped with other sections.

Upper Management Plays Favorites

I worked at J. C. Penney as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Got to learn the ins and out of retail - inventory, sets for the month, which season is the busiest.

Cons

The program for interns all depends on the store manager, if he/she does not follow program you will not learn a single thing. Management plays favorites, sometimes you think why did I do this?

Do not show favorites especially with interns, follow the program & give feedback. Management did not show positive leadership and in which you should.

Too Much Pressure on Sales Associates For Low Pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Company has a nice product for a good price. J.C Penney also gives really good hours, unlike some clothing retailers.

Cons

Associates are supposed to get two credit card apps a week. Associates are essentially working for a credit card company, not a clothing company. Management is more worried about hassling customers for credit cards than they are about customer service. I worked in a small area, so the credit pool became saturated quickly. You are held accountable as the associate, whether or not people want a credit card.

Train your associates better. Don't throw them on register by themselves the second day, with no help or guidance. Also management needs to leave their office once in awhile and stop putting everything on the sales associates.

Great second job, but don't make it a career

Current Employee - Window Covering Sales Associate in Algonquin, IL
    Current Employee - Window Covering Sales Associate in Algonquin, IL

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee discount, knowledge of when best time to make purchases with sales and coupons, co-workers can become life-long friends, Company is finally putting stress on making the atmosphere better for employees

Cons

Hours will suck, especially during the holidays, almost no room for advancement, you can't move up in the company without your managers approval, even to another store. Management is trained to let the customers get their way if they complain enough with our "just say yes" policy, going as far to bend company rules. The scheduling system is a nightmare, it feels like you need a PHD to make a workable schedule. The incessant push to sign customers up for credit cards will drive you crazy.

Be aware of the environment you make. Some of my managers I will go the extra mile for and the others I will barely put the effort in because of how they treat me. Trust your team to get their job done and don't baby them or add extra jobs out of fear they might not have enough to do. Stressing over hours will make you a less pleasant person to be around.