J. C. Penney

J. C. Penney Reviews in San Antonio, TX

Updated Jan 30, 2014

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Mike Ullman

Mike Ullman

Pros
  • It once was a good company to work for with a nice employee discount(in 143 reviews)

• Work-life balance mostly good except during high volume holiday sales season(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Non-existent work/life balance, no consistency of store operating policy throughout each location(in 41 reviews)

• They beat into you to get people to sign up for a JCP credit card(in 76 reviews)

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It made me glad I'm getting a college degree

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsIf you need to, you can work quite a few hours during seasonal times and make decent money.

ConsIt's a cesspool of unhappy people working jobs they hate.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just hire anyone, especially immature high school students.

Easy place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsNot much responsibility, fun people to work with, easy sales.

ConsSame thing every day, micromanaging supervisors, not a career type of job

Average Joe Retail

Fine Jewelry Product Expert (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsDecent hours for low-end retail - I usually get over 30 per week.
    25% discount on all JCP products.
    Surprisingly enjoyable work environment and team.

ConsVirtually no training - there were six videos new associates were supposed to watch, but I only got to see two before being thrown on the floor.

Doesn't seem to be much upward mobility - though that may be due to the market.

Poor communication from district to store - customers often know about upcoming sales before we do and the catalog and our in-store stock match much less frequently than would be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be perfectly blunt, I am asked to do a lot of stuff that seems above and beyond the call with no real incentive to do so. Why should I be driven to sell care plans most customers don't want or need or bring in credit applications when I'm not on commission and the only reward for credit is two dollars per credit app when most of the customers I deal with say they already have a JCP card?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

Pros25% discount, good hours,paid training,relaxed dress code.employees very friendly.mangers are sometimes nice.

Conssuper short breaks,work long hours,has to stay after closing to clean up store.Which is ridiculous clothes everywhere,and trash just everywhere.Some of the managers wouldn't even help clean up they would stand there and bark orders.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe try helping employees clean up store at end of night.And make longer breaks.

Like a family

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe managers are very understanding of personal issues and are always there when you need them. My co-workers were amazing and we were all like a big family.

ConsThe pay wasn't great but we did get yearly raises and it is a minimum wage retail job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great company...but prepare to be single

Sales Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

Prosquick career advancement, great senior management

ConsThe varied hours make it difficult to have a life outside of the store. Micromanagment is a big issue and managers are not allowed to maximize their potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementExtended hours are not always necessary.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!